Where is the public shooting at?

SnakeEye

Banned
I have the week off for vacation, but i have absolutely no where to shoot. i cant find a public range for the life of me..and certainylnot within reasonable driving distance..
where are the public ranges in this state in close proximity to Gloucester? I dont want a 3.5hr commute.
the woods are looking better and better every day.
thx

We don't have public ranges in PRM like some other states do. We have probably close to 200 private gun clubs in MA. Most allow you to shoot damn near any time of day/night (indoors) once you become a member.

We have no BLM land here, and if we did it would be off limits to the shooting sports/hunting anyway.

We are way overdeveloped so most all the sandpits are gone in PRM (except in Western MA) and most that might still exist aren't safe to shoot in anyway (to close to civilization or idiots on dirt bikes not looking as they come down the backstop)!

Lynne,

There are more than that:

- AFS in N. Attleboro
- Place in Worcester,
- Salisbury,

and not in MA but not that far away:

- Manchester Firing Line, NH.

LenS said:
We don't have public ranges in PRM like some other states do. We have probably close to 200 private gun clubs in MA. Most allow you to shoot damn near any time of day/night (indoors) once you become a member.

There are some limitted "public" opportunities available:
CLUBS WITH FREE PUBLIC ACCESS

Clubs that participate in this state program offer free access in return.

Matt

Public

Major Waldron in Barrington, NH has public skeet and trap, Sat., Sun, and Tuesday. We also have public shooting at out indoor range Thursday night from 7 - 9pm. Cost of the indoor range is $10.00 to non-members.

More info at:

www.majorwaldron.com
[shock]

ive been a member up at the Firing Line in Manchester NH for nearly a year now. Its that my car is a lease, so miles are a consideration. Was hoping for something more local. Looks like im hiking up to there tomorrow anyways. dont seem to have much alternative

The club's Skeet and Trap ranges are open to the public on Sundays from 1:00 p.m. until dusk.
Haverhill is only about half the distance of manchester, i will probobly chekcthem out sunday

Looks like im hiking up to there tomorrow anyways. dont seem to have much alternative
If someone complains, then police will respond. If the police respond and decide that you should not have been shooting there, then they will likely notify your chief. If they notify your chief, then he may well pull your LTC for being unsuitable. If that happens, you will never get it back.

Is it worth running this risk because you don't want to put a couple miles on your car? A decent lawyer costs what, $100-$250 per hour? How many miles could you drive your leased car for an hour of an attorney's time.

You could be making a very expensive mistake.

FWIW, every club that has skeet/trap (that I know about) allows the public to shoot when they run skeet/trap (typically Sunday mornings).

It is also a good way to "find a sponsor" for those that worry about such things.

Examples that I know about:

- Sharon F&G - Skeet & Trap Sundays at 10AM year-round
- Braintree R&P - Trap only Sundays at 12Noon year-round
- Massapoag Sportsmen's Club - Skeet & Trap Sunday mornings year-round. They run registered matches all the time and unless things have changed, the pace they run at is NOT conducive for someone that is just learning to shoot skeet/trap.

Most clubs also shoot skeet/trap on one evening/week during the warmer weather.

wherewolf said:
If you're in the Gloucester area, have you checked out Cape Ann Sportsman Club?

http://www.capeannsportsmansclub.org/

joining and qualification is a 4 month process [shock] , sponsor required, and 280$ first year.
not uncommon from most private clubs..BUT you see im on vacation NOW! :p lol
i plan to use my returns to join up there once they arrive, with the holidays just passed and my cats damn vet bill (poor thing had seizures last weekend) i havent had three hundred bucks to spare, well actually i have, but the woman wouldnt see it that way ;) . Uncle Sams savings and loan to the rescue.

LenS said:
Lynne,

There are more than that:

- AFS in N. Attleboro
- Place in Worcester,
- Salisbury,

and not in MA but not that far away:

- Manchester Firing Line, NH.

I know Len - I was trying to think of one closer to Gloucester for him, but Bob's is the only one. He said he didn't want a 3.5 hr ride. :D

Back
Top Bottom