• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where is it illegal to carry?

Only if you're Mormon - and it has to be a JMB design.
Except, of course, if you are in UT which is run by the Mormons. UT law allows any church to register as a "no gun zone" with the state, at which point carry permits become invalid in the registered churches - an option that has been exercised by only one church. The Mormon church is hierarchical, so the root node in UT has banned church carry across the state.

So if you travel by foot through Boston at night to attend a class at a private university then travel by foot home at 11:00 at nigh you are not allowed to carry???

So if you travel by foot through Boston at night to attend a class at a private university then travel by foot home at 11:00 at nigh you are not allowed to carry???
No, you are not.

In MA it is against the law to carry in a school, college, or university unless you have written permission from the school (which you are not going to get).

See MGL Chapter 269 Section 10j:

(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-10.htm

What do you think are the odds of J. Random Student getting written permission from a college or university, whether public or private?

Depends on the school and the student.

Many military and police attend law schools, all of which in MA are private. Such a student at such a school would have a good chance of getting permission.

Depends on the school and the student.

Many military and police attend law schools, all of which in MA are private. Such a student at such a school would have a good chance of getting permission.

Won't speak for Mil, but there is an exemption for LEOs. So, no LEO is going to bother asking for permission.

The actual likelihood of any student getting that written permission is probably less than winning the megabucks lottery. Perhaps a Co-ed who can produce a written death threat, police reports, 209A and bullet holes in her car (and they'd prefer bullet holes in her body) just MIGHT get that written permission as a rare exception. [thinking]

Won't speak for Mil, but there is an exemption for LEOs. So, no LEO is going to bother asking for permission.

The actual likelihood of any student getting that written permission is probably less than winning the megabucks lottery. Perhaps a Co-ed who can produce a written death threat, police reports, 209A and bullet holes in her car (and they'd prefer bullet holes in her body) just MIGHT get that written permission as a rare exception. [thinking]

The exemption might not actually apply. It is rather vague and the intention is to shield officers on duty. Would you like to be a test case in Boston? A smart officer would seek the paper.

bill

The exemption might not actually apply. It is rather vague and the intention is to shield officers on duty. Would you like to be a test case in Boston? A smart officer would seek the paper.

bill

And most chiefs that I know personally would not give any docs to an officer to allow them to buy anything, even if it just extra mags for a duty gun!! And damn few officers that I know will ask their chief to do anything . . . they take an "out of sight, out of mind" approach to dealing with brass for anything.

Nothing in the law requires paper from the chief to purchase a gun or mags. That's strictly a conservative interpretation on the part of some.

The actual likelihood of any student getting that written permission is probably less than winning the megabucks lottery. Perhaps a Co-ed who can produce a written death threat, police reports, 209A and bullet holes in her car (and they'd prefer bullet holes in her body) just MIGHT get that written permission as a rare exception.

In general, unless daddy's name is on at least one campus building, or the student is of such high a profile that their mere presence on campus for a tour warrants a press release, it's not going to happen. If a student is important enough to have the pull to get permission, they're probably rich or connected enough to hire, or be issued, a police detail.

Setting aside political and policy feelings, given the realities of the academia, you're not going to get a college official to bet their career on your future behavior - even if they personally would prefer to give said permission. If a student with an LTC and permission acted in a criminal way, or caused collateral damage in an otherwise legit self-defense situation, a copy of the letter would be available on CNN.com within a day or so, and the half-life of the signatory's remaining career would be measured in days, not weeks.

The hypothetical co-ed would not get permission, but would probably be offered some extra assistance by the campus police.

Last edited:
I think that I've mentioned this previously, but I'm not certain. In discussion the inability to get permission to carry on campus, it's generally assumed that this forces one either to store one's firearm properly in their vehicle before arriving on campus (if driving) or rules out legally carrying to and from campus. This is not necessarily true. When I worked at Salem State College, I learned that the president had a written policy that allowed licensed faculty and staff (and possibly students -- I'm not certain on that detail) to carry to and from campus, then store their firearms in individual lockers at the campus police station and retreive them when they left for the day. If you find yourself faced with the problem of carrying to and from campus, don't simply inquire whether you can get permission to carry on campus but see if there are options for storage while on campus.

Ken

I have only a few more weeks at my school...but I take the train in and out of Boston and walk to and from my night classes...I honestly DO NOT want to leave my protection at home...this blows! I'm usually traveling home anywhere from 10pm - 11pm with all eyes on the white guy...and with x-mas time around the corner, who knows what people would do for a wallet...

Exactly how did you conclude that this is "vague" and might not apply, and what, other than speculation, allowed you to determine the "intent" of this law?

The prohibition is contained in MGL 260-10j which starts out "(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer,".

...When I worked at Salem State College, I learned that the president had a written policy that allowed licensed faculty and staff (and possibly students -- I'm not certain on that detail) to carry to and from campus, then store their firearms in individual lockers at the campus police station and retreive them when they left for the day. If you find yourself faced with the problem of carrying to and from campus, don't simply inquire whether you can get permission to carry on campus but see if there are options for storage while on campus.

I think UMass used to do this as well. I never got the chance to go hunting in Westfield/Chicopee with the kid down the hall. He said they let you hunt near the runways at one of the military airports out there (Barnes?). Plus, there are LOTS of fields out there.

I have only a few more weeks at my school...but I take the train in and out of Boston and walk to and from my night classes...I honestly DO NOT want to leave my protection at home...this blows! I'm usually traveling home anywhere from 10pm - 11pm with all eyes on the white guy...and with x-mas time around the corner, who knows what people would do for a wallet...

It totally sucks man, but I also go to school in Boston and take the T daily. The MGLs are clear that you cannot carry a firearm in a school or university without permission. I sought out my school's Chief of Security, and he said the school's policy is no guns on campus whatsoever. I guess they have considered it for off duty LEOs, but veterans got no love. So when a student gets pissed off and comes to school with daddy's revolver, I get to hide under a desk until BPD shows up because campus security doesn't carry any weapon either.

I think that I've mentioned this previously, but I'm not certain. In discussion the inability to get permission to carry on campus, it's generally assumed that this forces one either to store one's firearm properly in their vehicle before arriving on campus (if driving) or rules out legally carrying to and from campus. This is not necessarily true. When I worked at Salem State College, I learned that the president had a written policy that allowed licensed faculty and staff (and possibly students -- I'm not certain on that detail) to carry to and from campus, then store their firearms in individual lockers at the campus police station and retreive them when they left for the day. If you find yourself faced with the problem of carrying to and from campus, don't simply inquire whether you can get permission to carry on campus but see if there are options for storage while on campus.

Ken

That's a hell of a good tip !

Though I suspect a student at Salem State is going to be pretty safe, anyways. The only trouble I ever hear about SS is the wild parties.

Nice job Adam and thank you for using the search function. I hope you stick around and read up some more.

Good luck.

Thanks! I know I'm not on here much but I'm more active on some car forums and hate when people don't search!

Didn't even realize the thread was that old :/ my b!

Unlocked and Rooted Verizon Galaxy S3

Here is my question:
Assume for a moment you go to a Church that owns it's own church building. During there week (M-F, 9-5) there is a day care that operates in the Church but this day care is totally separate from the Church and they only lease space. The day care is not in any way a part of the Church and there is a contract between the day care and Church that says exactly what rooms they are leasing and what their hours of operation are. This is a day care for children who are not yet old enough to be in kindergarden. Would you be allowed to go to Sunday services (when the day care is not operating) and carry your legally licensed (Class A Unrestricted) firearm?

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

I could have sworn a Long Gun unloaded with a Trigger Lock was sufficient - no case or trunk.

Maybe it is for a Long Gun that is not LARGE CAPACITY ?

Last edited:
Here is my question:
Assume for a moment you go to a Church that owns it's own church building. During there week (M-F, 9-5) there is a day care that operates in the Church but this day care is totally separate from the Church and they only lease space. The day care is not in any way a part of the Church and there is a contract between the day care and Church that says exactly what rooms they are leasing and what their hours of operation are. This is a day care for children who are not yet old enough to be in kindergarden. Would you be allowed to go to Sunday services (when the day care is not operating) and carry your legally licensed (Class A Unrestricted) firearm?

IANAL but the MGL doesn't mention day cares. Based on your senario above I don't see where you would have a problem.

General Laws: CHAPTER 269, Section 10
(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

Last edited:
General Laws: CHAPTER 269, Section 10
(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weaponin any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.[/QUOTE]

A dangerous weapon can be a shod foot, a baseball bat, a belt, keys, pretty much anything.

I'm not sure Pepper Spray can be a dangerous weapon, as it cannot can do harm. But I do know it's illegal on School Grounds as well. Don't know about Post Offices. My Postal Carrier open-carries Pepper Spray. Of course he may be simply exempt.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

I could have sworn a Long Gun unloaded with a Trigger Lock was sufficient - no case or trunk.

Maybe it is for a Long Gun that is not LARGE CAPACITY ?

A non-large capacity long gun only needs to be unloaded for transport, to be in compliance with MGLs. The presence of a trigger lock is not relevant. The rifle rack in your pickup is lawful, if it's unloaded.

Not, however, Massprudent..

A dangerous weapon can be a shod foot, a baseball bat, a belt, keys, pretty much anything. I'm not sure Pepper Spray can be a dangerous weapon...

Yes, pepper spray has been adjudicated a "per se" dangerous weapon (designed for the purpose of bodily assault or defense), whereas the other items you list are only considered dangerous weapons "as used" (when used in such a manner).

Yes, pepper spray has been adjudicated a "per se" dangerous weapon (designed for the purpose of bodily assault or defense), whereas the other items you list are only considered dangerous weapons "as used" (when used in such a manner).

Sad to hear that.

I'd rather be hit by PS than anything else I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom