Where can I NOT carry in the state?

frayedends

NES Member
I have a Class A LTC. I read a lot on another forum that isn't specific to MA. Some states have laws where businesses can have signs excluding the carry of guns. I know there are laws on banks and schools and such. But what about restaurants, restaurants with bars, bars if I am not drinking, etc. I can't seem to find any specifics. Anyone got a link?

Thanks

AAARGH!!!! The school law is mgl 269-10j; there is no bank law - plenty of info in these forums.

My mistake. I haven't really researched much, just posted on things I've read in the past. From what I am seeing now you are correct, no bank law. Thanks for the reference.

Mr first concealed carry was to the bank with a large deposit. I keep an eye out for things like concerts and baseball games where you may get patted down. Also, stores can put up signs but you are not breaking the law by ignoring, they can ask you leave and if you don't you are tresspassing. Post offices, federal buildings, courts and schools should be about it... Always verify, you don't want to risk your license by going into a restricted (legally) building.
IANAL

Federal law prohibits carry in the secure areas of airports, federal buildings, federal court houses and with some exceptions military facilities. Massachusetts law prohibits carry in schools (K-12, colleges, universities and other post-secondary institutions). Other places (e.g., court houses, police stations, state buildings) may install metal detectors and prohibit entry to anyone carrying. In that case any attempt to get around these would constitute trespass. Pat-downs and signage at other places (e.g., concerts, sporting events) would only be a legal problem if you were discovered and didn't leave immediately.

Ken

The safety course I just took back in July told me that the post office has been de-federalized, so carrying in one is not a problem unless otherwise posted. Anyone know if that is accurate?

GOAL has stated that carrying in a post office is completely legal.
I doubt GOAL would have said it this simply. The truth is that while a credible argument can be made that such is the case, that is not the position taken by the postal service or the one that is common knowledge among postal staff and, most likely, federal agents and postal inspectors.

This link presents a nice summary of the issue:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Concealed-carry-in-a-post-office-may-lead-to-rude-awakening

The safety course I just took back in July told me that the post office has been de-federalized,

The US postal service currently has aspects of both a private business and a government agency, and has not been "de-federalized" to the extent that you were led to believe. Some of the things the post office can do, that demonstrate it is not "a private corporation" include:

- Printing and issuing it's own license plates for use on public roads

- Government monopoly prohibiting competition for first class mail (the "private express statutes")

- Able to certify selected employees as federal LE agents with the full powers of the federal govt. Name one other private company that can certify their employees to carry on commercial aircraft (no, the armed pilot program does not count, since the pilots have to get the certification from the feds - the airlines cannot grant it)

- Have complete right of way over other vehicles on the road (although, as a courtesy, it is rarely exercised - but it does exist)

The safety course I just took back in July told me that the post office has been de-federalized, so carrying in one is not a problem unless otherwise posted. Anyone know if that is accurate?

Well that depends. A lot of private places (Mailboxes Etc.) provide mail services but are not federal property. While it might be true in your hometown if it has one of those private services, it's not true on a national level with all post offices, if that makes sense.

- Able to certify selected employees as federal LE agents with the full powers of the federal govt. Name one other private company that can certify their employees to carry on commercial aircraft (no, the armed pilot program does not count, since the pilots have to get the certification from the feds - the airlines cannot grant it)

The Federal Reserve Police is one.

(But for the record, despite pointing that out I agree with the thrust of your argument, I'm just being cheeky [smile]).

Cite, please.

ETA: a Google advanced search of www.goal.org for "post office" returned no such results.

I don't have a citation, it was one of the topics we discussed during the Art of Concealed Carry class they offered. It was stated that they've gone over all of the relevant legislation, and have found nothing that would make possession in a post office illegal. The information was presented at a GOAL-held class as coming from GOAL. Jon Green was the one running the class, if you zip him a PM (jgreen here on NES), he probably could confirm.

As Rob says, I wouldn't count on the staff there to know or care what the law says.

I don't have a citation, it was one of the topics we discussed during the Art of Concealed Carry class they offered. It was stated that they've gone over all of the relevant legislation, and have found nothing that would make possession in a post office illegal. The information was presented at a GOAL-held class as coming from GOAL. Jon Green was the one running the class, if you zip him a PM (jgreen here on NES), he probably could confirm.

As Rob says, I wouldn't count on the staff there to know or care what the law says.

How did you like that course? The GF and I are thinking about taking it, sounds like a good one.

How did you like that course? The GF and I are thinking about taking it, sounds like a good one.

I enjoyed it, they covered a wide variety of topics on what to do and not do, including having a lawyer do a presentation on various laws and statutes, and the events that led to those being created. We also got to try out all sorts of holsters and things at the end to see what we liked or didn't like.

The Federal Reserve Police is one.

(But for the record, despite pointing that out I agree with the thrust of your argument, I'm just being cheeky ).
True - but that argues more for the concept that the Federal Reserve isn't really a private company but a quasi-governmental agency (as is the USPS).

I've often wondered about the Post Office in the town where I grew up. The East Boxford P.O. (01921) is inside the Boxford General Store aka Jacks. In the one big room is a Bank, Post Office, Restaurant & Store. I always assumed as long as you weren't doing business at the P.O. you were okay, but is that true?

You can't carry in the gift shop at the North Bridge in Lexington/Concord.
Also courts and schools.
Also in the woods at night (if larger than .22 rifle or .38 handgun...or something like that).

How about places like UMass Memorial Hospital? The Tornadoes game (on Holy Cross campus?...Does it cease being a school when used for other purposes?)

Now THAT is really, really funny!

IT'S THE LAW!

Possessing certain rifles or pistols "where mammals may be found" at night
MGL 131-67

Chapter 131: Section 67. Rifles, revolvers and pistols; caliber

Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year.

Also:
Within 500 feet of a dwelling or building in use
Trespassing on land with firearms & intent to shoot
Possessing or controlling a rifle, pistol or revolver in any wood or field during deer season
Possessing a loaded long gun in a boat, vehicle or aircraft

More laws and more detail here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ons-that-will-DQ-a-Mass.-resident-from-an-LTC

You can't carry in the gift shop at the North Bridge in Lexington/Concord.

Why is that? Did you see a sign or something? I'm interested in the details of that. It's also rather ironic considering the location and the colonists "molon labe" stand there.

Oh, and for the crowd, I found another place that's off limits to carry in Mass.; Boston City Hall.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Massachusetts/boston/chapterxximiscellaneouspublicbuildings?f=templates$fn=document-frameset.htm$3.0

21-1 BOSTON CITY HALL AND THE BOSTON GOVERNMENT CENTER COMMISSION.
21-1.1 Possession, Detection of Weapons in City Hall.
No person other than a sworn officer of the Commonwealth, a member of the military service on active duty, or a constable, officer or official of the City or County having a license to carry firearms shall in any part of City Hall have possession of any dangerous weapon, which term shall include any firearm, and any item described in paragraphs (b) or (c) of Section 10 of Chapter 269 of the General Laws, unless authorized by the Commissioner of Real Property or that Commissioner's designee. If the Commissioner shall determine public safety requires, a system for detection of weapons may be established in City Hall and no person shall be admitted to, or enter, the building without submitting to such detection system. Any person violating the provisions hereof shall be punished by a fine of two hundred ($200.00) dollars.

(Ord. 1992 c. 3 § 2)

IT'S THE LAW!

Possessing certain rifles or pistols "where mammals may be found" at night
MGL 131-67

Also:
Within 500 feet of a dwelling or building in use
Trespassing on land with firearms & intent to shoot
Possessing or controlling a rifle, pistol or revolver in any wood or field during deer season
Possessing a loaded long gun in a boat, vehicle or aircraft

More laws and more detail here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ons-that-will-DQ-a-Mass.-resident-from-an-LTC

IIRC, NH has a similar law. These are part of the hunting laws, so not commonly known to gun owners who don't hunt.

Back
Top Bottom