• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can a "Joe Schmoe" shoot 1000 Yards?

How big was the target at 500?

They are yuge.. but you gotta hit em in the middle. [laugh] I honestly do not know

maxresdefault.jpg

DSCN1597.jpg

This video gives you a good feel for it.

Going long distance with the 30-06 is 100% do-able. However, the shooter needs to be well-grounded in the fundamentals of rifle shooting if they are to have any measure of success. Your post that I quoted kind of fluffed-off Highpower shooting, saying (paraphrasing) "Yeah, it's good for learning fundamentals, but I want to shoot PRS."
Rifle shooting fundamentals are best learned by shooting Smallbore Rifle, Air Rifle, and Highpower Rifle. The best long-range instructor coaching you isn't going to get you your first-round hit if you don't understand NPA, B.R.A.S.S., etc.

I do not think that is a necessity to go through a specific style of shooting to get to another. If you are after shooting long distances from glassed precision rifle, why spend time shooting from a sling? It is like someone having to spend time shooting bullseye pistol before they shoot 9mm defensive. Its like saying I have to study classical music before leaning rock and roll guitar. There is certainly some overlap and fundamental skill is still applicable. If you were after shooting long range unknown distance, maybe starting on a precision bolt 22LR with a mil scope and trying to stretch out the distances so your not fighting a lot of recoil while still getting to practice dialing a firing solution into your scope. You can still practice the human equation of the rifle.

I do not think that is a necessity to go through a specific style of shooting to get to another. If you are after shooting long distances from glassed precision rifle, why spend time shooting from a sling? It is like someone having to spend time shooting bullseye pistol before they shoot 9mm defensive. Its like saying I have to study classical music before leaning rock and roll guitar. There is certainly some overlap and fundamental skill is still applicable. If you were after shooting long range unknown distance, maybe starting on a precision bolt 22LR with a mil scope and trying to stretch out the distances so your not fighting a lot of recoil while still getting to practice dialing a firing solution into your scope. You can still practice the human equation of the rifle.

It's funny you say this. I have trained with a group of dudes every year for 5 years under this one instructor who is probably the Yoda of pistol shooting. Last year, after years of the high speed, cool dude shit, we spent an entire weekend revolving around competition pistol shooting. Think gaming IDPA/USPSA matches and breaking down stages. Do you know what we spent most of that weekend doing? Shooting slow-fire B-8's at various distances, but mostly 25 yards. That weekend of working over the fundamentals and shooting bullseyes did more for my pistol game then every high speed cool dude class I have ever taken.

Know what I keep in my truck under the back seat in case I get 30 minutes to do some pistol work? A roll of B-8 targets and a 100 rounds of 9mm.

Last edited:
So............you don't think a shooter needs any kind of fundamental knowledge base/ skill set to effectively shoot long range?

Unfortunately I have seen hunters who have taken this class, left with a proprietary scope and rifle, then when hunting across a valley uphill or downhill consistently miss or wound the big game. Their 'simple system leads to overconfidence'. I think the school might be a great place to start but it doesn't teach ballistics.

I do not think that is a necessity to go through a specific style of shooting to get to another. If you are after shooting long distances from glassed precision rifle, why spend time shooting from a sling?
If you can't shoot precision at short distances, you can't shoot precision at 1k. A ton of time at 100 yards with a .22 is a great start, before worrying about the crazy weather, elevation change, and wind variables that apply at ELR distances.

I was on the range one day when it was just me and some guy with his new scoped toy. He would take one shot, check his target, fiddle and scribble and walk all around and make adjustments, then take one more shot, and repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

He just couldn't understand why he wasn't able to zero his scope, and kept asking me for advice. I told him: shoot a group of three before touching anything. Neither of us have any idea if you're shooting where you're aiming, and we won't until you shoot a group.

He didn't want to "waste ammo", though. When I left, he only had about three rounds left out of 20, and still had no idea what his POI v. POA was.

If you can't shoot precision at short distances, you can't shoot precision at 1k. A ton of time at 100 yards with a .22 is a great start, before worrying about the crazy weather, elevation change, and wind variables that apply at ELR distances.

I was on the range one day when it was just me and some guy with his new scoped toy. He would take one shot, check his target, fiddle and scribble and walk all around and make adjustments, then take one more shot, and repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

He just couldn't understand why he wasn't able to zero his scope, and kept asking me for advice. I told him: shoot a group of three before touching anything. Neither of us have any idea if you're shooting where you're aiming, and we won't until you shoot a group.

He didn't want to "waste ammo", though. When I left, he only had about three rounds left out of 20, and still had no idea what his POI v. POA was.

I swear I have met that guy 100 times over the years.

Unfortunately I have seen hunters who have taken this class, left with a proprietary scope and rifle, then when hunting across a valley uphill or downhill consistently miss or wound the big game. Their 'simple system leads to overconfidence'. I think the school might be a great place to start but it doesn't teach ballistics.

That guy has the most dicked-up prone position I've ever seen.

For those interested in PRL, there is a local, unaffiliated organization you may want to look up. The Minuteman Precision Rifle League (MMPRL). They don't have a website but are on facebook. They will be holding matches in Mass, NH, and Maine this coming year.

If you want to shoot at devens, make the phone call. They are terrible with any other forms of communication.

https://home.army.mil/devens/index.php/Misson and Vision/Garrison/DPTMS/Range/frequently-asked-questions

Members of training units will not bring privately owned weapons or ammunition to ranges or training areas. The only firing of privately owned weapons is in conjunction with the Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club. This is the only recreational organization currently authorized to schedule and utilize ranges. The club may be contacted at 978-456-3604 for information on membership and scheduled use.
the steel sucks at devens so bring your own if you can.

For those interested in PRL, there is a local, unaffiliated organization you may want to look up. The Minuteman Precision Rifle League (MMPRL). They don't have a website but are on facebook. They will be holding matches in Mass, NH, and Maine this coming year.

Pemi F&G recently posted that they will be hosting these matches this year.

They are yuge.. but you gotta hit em in the middle. [laugh] I honestly do not know

maxresdefault.jpg

DSCN1597.jpg

This video gives you a good feel for it.

If you ever have a chance to work the targets in one of those pits, go for it. Its freaky, but interesting with bullets going over your head. Its a different perspective hearing the projectile THEN hearing the report a half second or so later.
Also, at distances of 300 yard and more and if you have a spotting scope, pull back the focus just a little bit, you will see the wake the projectile sends downrange, its like your watching some fake crap in a movie.

If you ever have a chance to work the targets in one of those pits, go for it. Its freaky, but interesting with bullets going over your head. Its a different perspective hearing the projectile THEN hearing the report a half second or so later.
Also, at distances of 300 yard and more and if you have a spotting scope, pull back the focus just a little bit, you will see the wake the projectile sends downrange, its like your watching some fake crap in a movie.

We all did time in the pit when I was young, on the Island

Thanks, but that's not something I want on my bucket list. Also not on the list is jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

IMO pits are pretty safe, theres only like a huge wall and tons of earth in front of most of them. I would take that over skydiving in 2 sec..

Thanks, but that's not something I want on my bucket list. Also not on the list is jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.
Good news! If you're jumping out of it, it's probably not "perfectly good." Cite: the Navy pilot that was my instructor the first time I jumped.

Back
Top Bottom