• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can a "Joe Schmoe" shoot 1000 Yards?

Unfortunately due to some neighbors that think shooting to 1000yds is much more than anyone should be able to shoot the 1000yd. range is closed. They are fighting this and if anyone wants to contribute to the cause please do: http://granbybowandgun.club/support-the-granby-bow-and-gun-clubs-legal-defense-fund/ They do have an area now off to the side of the covered firing line which also is closed due to the towns actions which goes out to 500yds. You need to be a member or with a member to shoot there.

yea, so this is not ME, it's my Brother. He just a used Mossberg 30-06 and now all of the sudden he is Gunny Beckett!

I can barely see 100 yards! I am going with him to SIG just for the comedy!

Not to mention cross wind.

Many years ago I had the pleasure of supporting an infantry battalion as a forward support company commander. First sergeant and I were going above and beyond in making sure the scout platoon was getting what they needed. Scout platoon sergeant invited us to come by the designated marksmanship range for some free lessons. They let us shoot the ar10 rifles.....with a spotter at our side of course. I get behind the rifle......spotter set me up in a good supported position. Told me he had the elevation alread adjusted forf800 yards but there is a cross wind left to right.....do me a favor so you can see what that means and give me a center mass hold on that steel at 800 yards and fire. I did after about 5 minutes looking through the scope just to FIND the steel at 800 yards.....and the impact was 20 feet to the right! He then helped me adjust my hold from there and on shot 3 I nailed it.

My point......without some serious equipment....and some training.....Jo schmo ain't gonna have much fun with his 30-06 just launching bullets at 1000 yards if he's never fired past 100.

This.

Back in the day I was trained to shoot the L1A1/SLR out to 600 yards with iron sights and a man size target. I was always disappointed I could never do much better than get most shots on the paper at 600 yards, but at the time I did not understand MOA and how those shot-out training rifles were probably 3 MOA capable at best.

OP, try 300 yards first and go from there.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
The range I go to here in NC goes out to 500 yards. regular 'public' range. You pay $ and shoot as long as you want. rifles or pistols. no membership required.

It is a big difference from 200 to 500 yards.

Come on you guys the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmore and a Vortex Rifle scope you can shoot to 1K yards out of the box!

I’m not sure about the op. I am thinking scoped rifle ranging a target at unknown distance and attempting to make a first round hit rather then a giant paper bullseye. I’m thinking in competitive parallels to PRS. I’m not saying high power is not of value with regards to fundamentals. It depends on what your end goal is. High power is geared towards known ranges. My personal motivation is unknown distance first round hits. I think that is an interesting challenge. I am not disparaging high power. I just don’t think it is a requirement dependending and what you are after.

High power is a valuable way to develop fundamentals. It is not the only way to get to PRS or ELR type shooting. A long range shooter making a pit stop in high power would be a valuable learning experience and probably an easy stepping stone.

There is no reason someone with 30-06 could not take it to 1000 if they are motivated and willing to learn. It might be easier to go from 22LR to .223 HP to long range secret squirrel sniper. I just don’t think NRA high power is the blessed gateway to everything long range.
So............you don't think a shooter needs any kind of fundamental knowledge base/ skill set to effectively shoot long range?

I'd like to meet up with this "Joe Schmoe" character. The other day I overheard my wife telling her well to do pals she was married to the guy.

yea, so this is not ME, it's my Brother. He just a used Mossberg 30-06 and now all of the sudden he is Gunny Beckett!

What kind of glass does he have sitting on top of that deer rifle? 1000 yards is no joke, as others have mentioned. His Mossy is certainly capable of pushing lead that far down range, but he is not getting there with a 3-9 Nikon hunting scope.
If he is serious, the $350 that it costs for the day at Sig is worth it. I have seen guys spend an hour with a high power scope just trying to find the target.
The day at Sig will be a real eye opener about the real cost to head down this road, but he will see serious results. Sigs 1000yrd range is relatively narrow, and heavily wooded on both sides. This is a huge help in mitigating wind, but pray for good weather. Shooting at 1000 is one thing. Shooting at 1000 with even a steady breeze is a different world.

Take the Reaching out to 1000 class at Sig Acadamy. You won’t regret what you learn.

This is true. I thought "Meh, no big deal. In boot we shot 500 with just irons." When I went through boot a cog was part of a wheel, and I don't think ACOG's had even been developed. Now I see kids at graduation all have acogs on their rifles. I was jealous for sure.

One eye Jack was more on the mark than most people would think. Shooting a decent 22 at 200 yards will be a good primer.

Cut a 1" Shoot-N-See into four 1/2" pieces and see how you do with one of them at 100 yds. That will give a quick lesson on controlling body motion. I'd say that the cost of putting a hole in one of those at 200 yds will cost at least $500 in 06 ammo. Watch the Trackingpoint video's to see how the target dot moves around. They build a real time motion prediction database to get the 5 for 5 at 1000 yds for a target moving up to 25 mph. They also sell their own ammo to limit the statistical variation within the target circle.

The "Sentry Gun Project" was designed as a teaching aid to gain an understanding of some of the variables involved

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTs7VRFV36c

One of these, squirrels, and a six pack!

Last edited:
What kind of glass does he have sitting on top of that deer rifle? 1000 yards is no joke, as others have mentioned. His Mossy is certainly capable of pushing lead that far down range, but he is not getting there with a 3-9 Nikon hunting scope.
If he is serious, the $350 that it costs for the day at Sig is worth it. I have seen guys spend an hour with a high power scope just trying to find the target.
The day at Sig will be a real eye opener about the real cost to head down this road, but he will see serious results. Sigs 1000yrd range is relatively narrow, and heavily wooded on both sides. This is a huge help in mitigating wind, but pray for good weather. Shooting at 1000 is one thing. Shooting at 1000 with even a steady breeze is a different world.

This is true. I thought "Meh, no big deal. In boot we shot 500 with just irons." When I went through boot a cog was part of a wheel, and I don't think ACOG's had even been developed. Now I see kids at graduation all have acogs on their rifles. I was jealous for sure.

One eye Jack was more on the mark than most people would think. Shooting a decent 22 at 200 yards will be a good primer.
How big was the target at 500?

Screw SIG academy, take a fundamentals class at Ridgeline. Those guys are the mad scientists of long range shooting.

As a data point. I fired a rem 700 on a buddies property in ME, hit a 20" plate 3inch off center low at 1125 yards. Took two shots, first shot helped dial in the second. Fist time I've shot anything beyond 300yards. A good rifle/scope and experienced spotter helps a lot.

Well the good news is that the odds of going OVER the backstop is pretty low. LOL. But aiming 31' above the target - LOL
The guys with the 45/70 loaded with black powder and iron sights make it look easy.

Mortar rounds.

OP, I think step one is to get your brother to stop calling it a "sniper rifle" - you are failing as a brother, bruh.

Step 2: Fet him to do some reading, get the bullet velocity at a normal 100 yard range and do some calculations to at least get somewhere close.

Step 3: now start looking for a long range. I would start with 300, then 500, then move on to longer distances.

Elevation is not that big of an issue at those distances, once it is dialed in, it is usually good to go, but wind. Wind is a b*tch. And reading the wind is a lot harder than it seems.

Entertainment value of this thread so far: 70%

Informative value of this thread so far: 10%

Some of us want to push our rifles to the limit. I’ll keep laughing, but I dream of going really long too. Sometimes you have to try and fail for understanding.

What's the other 20% - math? ;)

I'd say it's 90% entertainment value. LOL

As a data point. I fired a rem 700 on a buddies property in ME, hit a 20" plate 3inch off center low at 1125 yards. Took two shots, first shot helped dial in the second. Fist time I've shot anything beyond 300yards. A good rifle/scope and experienced spotter helps a lot.

Does your buddy need another friend?

If you want to shoot at devens, make the phone call. They are terrible with any other forms of communication.

https://home.army.mil/devens/index....rrison/DPTMS/Range/frequently-asked-questions

Members of training units will not bring privately owned weapons or ammunition to ranges or training areas. The only firing of privately owned weapons is in conjunction with the Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club. This is the only recreational organization currently authorized to schedule and utilize ranges. The club may be contacted at 978-456-3604 for information on membership and scheduled use.

So............you don't think a shooter needs any kind of fundamental knowledge base/ skill set to effectively shoot long range?

No, I never said that, nor did I imply that. If your goal is shooting 1000 plus on a glassed rifle you need the shooting fundamentals of human/rifle/trigger as well as the math taking into account ballistic calculations and atmospherics if you intend to be successful. I get that. I don’t get why the quickness to make light of genuine desire as in taking that 30-06 and trying and finding out that it is quite a bit harder. Nothing wrong with that.

Screw SIG academy, take a fundamentals class at Ridgeline. Those guys are the mad scientists of long range shooting.

This is probably the best advice in this thread.

Also, there are plenty of places to shoot past 300 yards in New England, and some don't require you to qualify for anything. My club has 650 and all I had to do was take the saftey brief as a new member and that basically consisted of don't shoot someone when they are down range.

For real tho, tell your brother to take his scope to a stretch of power lines and count out 5-6 of the big power line supports, they typically are about 200 yards apart, ask him if he can even see anything that far with his sniper scope.

Then, shoot some groups of various ammo with his tirtyotsix at 100 before he gets all antsy in his pantsy. A 3" group at 100 will turn into about a 30" group at 1k on a perfect day. Get a good 100 yard zero with the best grouping ammo. Then, math out your dope with velocities that you should get from a chrono, but likely won't, before you try shooting that far, otherwise he is just going to waste ammo lobbing rounds into the dirt a few hundred yards short.

Dropping sig money for that reach for thousand stroke job would be real disappointing if he rolled up with his rig and it can't do it, or he can't see well enough through his scope.

Having said all that, what does he want to hit at a thousand yards? A small (normal sized) paper target, a large piece of steel, the side of a barn?

No, I never said that, nor did I imply that. If your goal is shooting 1000 plus on a glassed rifle you need the shooting fundamentals of human/rifle/trigger as well as the math taking into account ballistic calculations and atmospherics if you intend to be successful. I get that. I don’t get why the quickness to make light of genuine desire as in taking that 30-06 and trying and finding out that it is quite a bit harder. Nothing wrong with that.

Going long distance with the 30-06 is 100% do-able. However, the shooter needs to be well-grounded in the fundamentals of rifle shooting if they are to have any measure of success. Your post that I quoted kind of fluffed-off Highpower shooting, saying (paraphrasing) "Yeah, it's good for learning fundamentals, but I want to shoot PRS."
Rifle shooting fundamentals are best learned by shooting Smallbore Rifle, Air Rifle, and Highpower Rifle. The best long-range instructor coaching you isn't going to get you your first-round hit if you don't understand NPA, B.R.A.S.S., etc.

Hello "Never Miss",

I doubt you'll find a range here in New England where you can try to shoot 1000 yds.
SIG would be a good option.
I'm not familiar with the other source talked about here.
As mentioned, Alderbrook up in Littleton has such a range.
A stock bolt action Mossberg "can" do it with a 20 minute scope mount, careful selection of ammunition and paper punching at shorter ranges.
I watch guys shooting steel @ 1000 yards down in PA with hunting rifles every month in the summer

I chuckled when I read Mr. Broccoli Iglesias's post about 45-70's.
When I run my 45-90 out to 1000 yards, I need about 161 minutes of elevation on the rear sight.
1 MOA at 1k is 10.5 inches.
So it's 1690 inches or 140 feet of bullet drop.

On a REALLY good day, if the sun is right and the stars align, I can do a 15 shot group on a half sized buffalo silhouette that measures a couple of feet.
With cast bullets, Black powder and iron sights.

We shouldn't bust each others balls about shooting long range because of "equipment"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpxPglKkFvQ

Seals on Monomoy from your condo balcony in Harwich

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlkdCcizd3s

THIS. ^^ Exactly what I was going to search for / post
I lived in Eastham. Moved to western MA, partly because I was ready to take seal culling intoy own hands. There were only 3000 then - but they had already killed all the harbor seals and wiped out the flounder.

He should have bought a .300 WBY

Have your brother take that scope off the rifle. Go out to an elevated spot and check how far he can clearly make out target sized objects.
Then order a better scope. ( It will cost several times what he paid for the Mossberg)
Natchezss.com has the lowest scope prices. There's a nice fixed 40X on sale

It was way back in the day, before WWII, but my dad was shooting 1000 yards at Camp Curtis Guild, with WWI era ammo that had split necks, requiring the bullet to be inserted until the rifling held it, then chambering the case, with the muzzle elevated, to keep the powder in.

I don't know what his score was, but he said it was hes best target.

As for long range shooting with iron sights:

Interesting find at the Old Medford Armory

Back
Top Bottom