• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When you suddenly feel the need for protection

there is a friend who I respect a lot. We are both in the RE industry and have known him for a decade.
He had very strong anti opinions this entire time that I know him. But he was the kind of anti that you can converse with. No emotions just facts and opinions.
Yesterday he tagged me in fb post.
Funny how things change when something happens closer to you. He has always lived in very safe areas. I’m meeting him later today to discuss the LTC process, home safety firearms and classes he can take.

Attachments

• 2763BA01-C09F-464B-BD01-62954AD02CDC.jpeg
    2763BA01-C09F-464B-BD01-62954AD02CDC.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 269
Funny how that works isn't it.

Even better is when a liberal work acquaintance (and very anti gun) of mine hit me up on a FB instant message asking for a letter of recommendation for his LTC application 1 week after Trump was elected.

The shelter in place scenario is one I often bring up when discussing gun ownership w non-gun owners and antis. People think all gun owners are itching to drop a perp who breaks in during the middle of the night but that’s probably the least likely scenario for most of us. In the unlikely event someone does ever break into my home at night they’ll get scared off by the alarm system long before I’m able to confront them (it’s a big house). Was watching Patriot Day the other night w my gf who tolerates but isn’t crazy about having guns in the house and even she agreed that in a scenario where the Tsarnaev boys were running around town it would be better off to be armed than not. Also brought up the situation in Upstate NY a couple of years ago where the two escaped convicts were running around armed. It’s different when things become personal. I have asked friends if we’re in a public shooting or shelter in place situation if they’d feel less safe with me being armed, the answer is never yes.

The shelter in place scenario is one I often bring up when discussing gun ownership w non-gun owners and antis. People think all gun owners are itching to drop a perp who breaks in during the middle of the night but that’s probably the least likely scenario for most of us. In the unlikely event someone does ever break into my home at night they’ll get scared off by the alarm system long before I’m able to confront them (it’s a big house). Was watching Patriot Day the other night w my gf who tolerates but isn’t crazy about having guns in the house and even she agreed that in a scenario where the Tsarnaev boys were running around town it would be better off to be armed than not. Also brought up the situation in Upstate NY a couple of years ago where the two escaped convicts were running around armed. It’s different when things become personal. I have asked friends if we’re in a public shooting or shelter in place situation if they’d feel less safe with me being armed, the answer is never yes.
My bil tried to tell me that gun owners are in a fantasy world where they are itching to shoot someone. I lost it.....nothing is further from the truth. I and majority of gun owners go out of our way to avoid confrontation. In fact last year I was involved with a road rage incident. It was a near miss with another driver. Big nasty pissed off sob. Our mirrors almost clicked when I didn't see him passing on my right in a market basket parking lot and I started to move my truck. Shit happens.....no damage......no biggie. So I thought.....he followed me through the parking lot and like a dumb ass I actually parked in a spot that allowed him to block me in. He got out and ran to my driver door. I locked my door. I was carrying. He was going off about how I needed to get out and take care of it like a man. Did I reach for my gun when he started banging on my window? No. I grabbed my cell and started recording. Shut him up real quick and he got in his truck and peeled off. Last thing I want to do is pull my gun. Funny part is I never got the recording because I was not on video mode and only got a snapshot of my steering wheel......doesn't matter......he thought is was recording and it did what I intended it to do.

That old saying about a liberal is just a conservative that hasn't been mugged yet, still rings true. [laugh]

The night before my first LTC interview there was a double murder in my city, didn't hear about it till I met with the licensing officer. He made a comment about how he almost had to cancel but how he wanted to make every effort to keep all the appointments because it was in the interest of each person's long term personal safety.

Wife’s co worker would always go off on why someone needed a gun etc...wife always stood up for me and other gun owners against her and the others at her work so that’s appreciated. About 2 weeks ago due to some circumstances in her life her coworker is now going to take the class and go through the process so she can protect herself. It’s truly unbelievable.

A co-workers wife is in Real Estate, she flips bank-owned properties on a fairly regular basis.
In broad daylight, she went into a home with no power (utilities disconnected) to take pictures of the mess left behind by the last tenants (legal or otherwise, I don't know.)
Basement stair landing, basically pitch black, she took a series of pictures hoping the flash photographs would reveal what cleanup would be required down there... Reviewing the pictures, she realized some guy was hiding in a closet not ten feet from her.

If your friend is in a position to work the repo real estate market, he should probably be armed just for the above described scenario.

Some years ago a good friend and single mom called late at night and said she came home to a phone message from someone who said he was going to rape and kill her. She played the message for me and I told her to get her kid and come to my house immediately. I called the state police and played them the message and gave them the incoming phone number. They did nothing, of course. I later tried to get her to get her license so she would have an opportunity to protect herself. She basically told me that she would rather die than kill someone to protect herself. I told she might.

A co-workers wife is in Real Estate, she flips bank-owned properties on a fairly regular basis.
In broad daylight, she went into a home with no power (utilities disconnected) to take pictures of the mess left behind by the last tenants (legal or otherwise, I don't know.)
Basement stair landing, basically pitch black, she took a series of pictures hoping the flash photographs would reveal what cleanup would be required down there... Reviewing the pictures, she realized some guy was hiding in a closet not ten feet from her.

If your friend is in a position to work the repo real estate market, he should probably be armed just for the above described scenario.
That's creepy!!!

Guns are like condoms.. Its better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.... Unfortunately some people have to live through both scenarios to understand that..

Wife’s co worker would always go off on why someone needed a gun etc...wife always stood up for me and other gun owners against her and the others at her work so that’s appreciated. About 2 weeks ago due to some circumstances in her life her coworker is now going to take the class and go through the process so she can protect herself. It’s truly unbelievable.

Your wife should tell them that their previously demonstrated instability will undoubtedly disqualify them from firearm ownership - and watch their head explode.

I've learned that a lot of RE agents are armed. Think about it, you are meeting strangers in vacant houses!! And it seems that most RE agents are woman, which makes them more of a target than men would be.

Some years ago a good friend and single mom called late at night and said she came home to a phone message from someone who said he was going to rape and kill her. She played the message for me and I told her to get her kid and come to my house immediately. I called the state police and played them the message and gave them the incoming phone number. They did nothing, of course. I later tried to get her to get her license so she would have an opportunity to protect herself. She basically told me that she would rather die than kill someone to protect herself. I told she might.

I've told the story before . . . I've worked with and known some women who just can't wrap their heads around the idea of hurting someone even if it is due to the fact that they are being attacked/raped/murdered themselves. Weapons just aren't a solution for these people.

I've learned that a lot of RE agents are armed. Think about it, you are meeting strangers in vacant houses!! And it seems that most RE agents are woman, which makes them more of a target than men would.

I've told the story before . . . I've worked with and known some women who just can't wrap their heads around the idea of hurting someone even if it is due to the fact that they are being attacked/raped/murdered themselves. Weapons just aren't a solution for these people.

And if you are single with no children, that is your choice to be a victim. But a parent has a duty to protect their children.

My roommates didn't think it was so weird that I owned a gun back when Tsarnaev was running around our neighborhood. Fear is really something, eh?

The question is, did they think it was weird again after he was caught and the threat wasn't there?

Some people seem to have a short memory for times that they were not exactly safe.

I told him that I pray and hope I never have to draw a gun on anyone, never mind using it too. But I’d much rather have them all my life and never needing them than needing one and not have it.

I frequently tell friends and family that I hope in the final analysis my EDC is nothing but a huge waste of time, and nobody prays for a gun more than someone that doesn't have one when they truly need it...

The sad thing is that by the time people see the light they will have already voted to have that right taken away.
Yeah.....voted out the right to self defense by the same idiots that call Trump a Nazi. Go figure.

To be honest....I'm no fan of trump.....it's the concept of equating the sitting president to a fascist dictator while supporting anti 2a legislation that has menscrarching my head .

I've learned that a lot of RE agents are armed. Think about it, you are meeting strangers in vacant houses!! And it seems that most RE agents are woman, which makes them more of a target than men would be.

Sheep.

two recent incidents:
1) wife coming back from logan in a limo. some clown with road rage starts tailgating the limo for some perceived slight. She calls up, a couple exits away from our house: "what should i do?"

I say "come home, i will go get my gun" and she (who is normally a little anti gun) does not object in the slightest. The guy did not follow them down the exit, so no need to do anything...but the concept of GUN = PROTECTION is now etched in her mind.

2) Late last night, some armed bad guys in a kidnapping in Lawrence were on the Lam. Andover automated police call system calls and warns about "TWO ARMED CRIMINALS in the area, shelter in place". I instantly wondered what all the people in Andover, who do NOT own firearms, Did at midnight when they received that call?

two recent incidents:
1) wife coming back from logan in a limo. some clown with road rage starts tailgating the limo for some perceived slight. She calls up, a couple exits away from our house: "what should i do?"

I say "come home, i will go get my gun" and she (who is normally a little anti gun) does not object in the slightest. The guy did not follow them down the exit, so no need to do anything...but the concept of GUN = PROTECTION is now etched in her mind.

2) Late last night, some armed bad guys in a kidnapping in Lawrence were on the Lam. Andover automated police call system calls and warns about "TWO ARMED CRIMINALS in the area, shelter in place". I instantly wondered what all the people in Andover, who do NOT own firearms, Did at midnight when they received that call?

They probably quivered in place, or they checked that their alarm system was activated.

" Please don't open your doors for anyone except a uniformed officer "

Umm sure ok go with that.

Probably went back to sleep like any other night. Most people think it'll never happen to them.

Back
Top Bottom