When to register your AR15

BW23

NES Member
Hi Folks,

At what point should I register my AR15 during my build?

Is it when the entire lower is fully assembled? Technically it's ready to fire with any upper assembly laying around.

For instance, what happens when i have this one assembled lower and i have 2 different upper assemblies (16" & 20")?? Do i register it as a 16" or 20"?

I keep reading misleading info to register only when it's a "complete" rifle. What constitutes "complete"? I'd rather get the correct info from you experienced builders.

Thanks!

Hi Folks,

At what point should I register my AR15 during my build?

Is it when the entire lower is fully assembled? Technically it's ready to fire with any upper assembly laying around.

For instance, what happens when i have this one assembled lower and i have 2 different upper assemblies (16" & 20")?? Do i register it as a 16" or 20"?

I keep reading misleading info to register only when it's a "complete" rifle. What constitutes "complete"? I'd rather get the correct info from you experienced builders.

Thanks!

Assuming you're in MA, the law says that it's a rifle once it's capable of "discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger." To me that means that as soon as the rifle is complete the clock starts on registration (I think you have 10 days to get the paperwork in.) Whatever upper is on the rifle first is how mine get registered. The MGLs give no guidance on what to do if you change the barrel length or caliber after the initial registration, so I do nothing.

MGL Chapter 140 said:
“Rifle”, a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

Generally, a FA-10 must be submitted within seven days of it being "capable of firing a shot or bullet".

In respect to an AR platform firearm, I would say that technically, at the point an upper is attached for the first time, a FA-10 needs to be submitted.

Regarding barrel length, due to the modularity of the AR platform, barrel length is largely irrelevant, so IMO registering either barrel length is acceptable.

Yes, I live in MA. Bear with me here.....

When i bought the stripped lower at the shop I had to fill out the usual form ( is it a dealer FA-10 form?? no idea what it's called) and they called it in with the FBI.

Now, as soon as I'm done building my lower and upper assemblies. Do I only need to REGISTER it online through the Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System? Boom, done, call it a day??

Someone mentioned I need to submit a FA-10. I thought FA-10 forms are only needed if the firearm is being sold or transferred.

Do I only need to REGISTER it online through the Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System? ... Someone mentioned I need to submit a FA-10. I thought FA-10 forms are only needed if the firearm is being sold or transferred.

Yes, you must register it via either method.

The MA Firearms Registration and Transfer System is merely the electronic version of the paper FA-10.

Last edited:
When I got my lower they had me do a fa 10 on it with no real info...
When I get my upper I know what to put for my info and the gun. But how do I handle the seller side?

When I got my lower they had me do a fa 10 on it with no real info...
When I get my upper I know what to put for my info and the gun. But how do I handle the seller side?

Check "Registration" and leave the "Seller" section blank.

Hey Thanks People!

So as soon as i finish my lower assembly and get my upper delivered, I'll go to the MA site to register my AR.

Thanks for you help!!

They said I have 7 days after it is capable of firing a shot. So when I get home from the range I take it apart and put it back together so the 7 days starts over.

Just kidding, I don't really do that.[rofl]

Registered a new born yesterday...online simple and easy.

Cigars for all:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351609016.882321.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351609047.668925.jpg

-----Update-----

Man is she accurate!

uravyja7.jpg

Hey Thanks People!

So as soon as i finish my lower assembly and get my upper delivered, I'll go to the MA site to register my AR.

Thanks for you help!!

Last edited:
Somewhat off topic, I have a quick question about transferring lowers that I'm hoping one of you guys can answer: If I were to give a stripped lower as a gift, would the recipient just register it when it was completed, with an fa10,
sans seller info? Is a 4473 required for them too?

A 4473 is a dealer only thing.
The fa10 would have to be done when they finish it.

Mass law is gray when it comes to a fa10 on a striped lower. Mass law does not see it as a gun.
Some dealers make you file a fa10 on it,some don't.

A 4473 is a dealer only thing.
The fa10 would have to be done when they finish it.

Mass law is gray when it comes to a fa10 on a striped lower. Mass law does not see it as a gun.
Some dealers make you file a fa10 on it,some don't.

It's really not that gray. The definitions in the MGLs are very specific about being "capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger." Dealers that make you do FA-10s on lowers are "over-interpreting."

The form itself provides some clues here. For example, what is the barrel length and caliber (both required fields) of a chunk of aluminum that doesn't even have a barrel?

Last edited:
Possible stupid question related to people buying lowers now in anticipation of a possible new ban: Although we have no idea what form a ban might take, for the previous AWB was owning the lower enough to be grandfathered, or did it need to be registered in Mass? If it needed to be registered, does it make sense to register the lower ASAP, even if not complete? Does Mass law prohibit this (registering before it can fire a shot)? Obviously, once it can fire a shot, it must be registered.

Possible stupid question related to people buying lowers now in anticipation of a possible new ban: Although we have no idea what form a ban might take, for the previous AWB was owning the lower enough to be grandfathered, or did it need to be registered in Mass? If it needed to be registered, does it make sense to register the lower ASAP, even if not complete? Does Mass law prohibit this (registering before it can fire a shot)? Obviously, once it can fire a shot, it must be registered.

The Fed Ban REQUIRED that it be assembled or kitted as an "assault weapon" . . . meaning it had to be ready to fire with collapsible stock/flash hider/threaded barrel/bayonet lug/grenade launcher/pistol grip in excess of the minimum number to be called an "assault weapon" under that law.

Merely being a bare-ass lower made before 9/13/1994 was NOT enough to meet the law.

The Fed Ban REQUIRED that it be assembled or kitted as an "assault weapon" . . . meaning it had to be ready to fire with collapsible stock/flash hider/threaded barrel/bayonet lug/grenade launcher/pistol grip in excess of the minimum number to be called an "assault weapon" under that law.

Merely being a bare-ass lower made before 9/13/1994 was NOT enough to meet the law.

Thanks for this.

I posted pretty much the same question as the OP in one of the AWB threads in the General forum - and the answers I got back were - let's say - not the greatest.

I suspected something just like you detailed might be true - that if a new AWB comes down you would NOT be able to get just a lower grandfathered.

I'm going to have to check out my unbuilt lowers and the uppers I have and see what I come up with. I suspect I'm a few uppers shy of complete rifles.

There's a lot of people who are out there buying lowers and/or who have stockpiled them previously who are going to get caught by the short hairs I suspect if this thing goes thru.

So did the previous AWB "allow" you to change the upper after the fact?

- - - Updated - - -

If I remember right the FA-10 form just has the make, model, serial number, barrel length, and caliber on it.

It does. The dealers I have bought bare lowers from - who filled out an FA-10 on that transfer - didn't fill out that info. So it would be rather clear to somebody reading that particular form that what was being registered was just a lower only - not a complete rifle.

With that said. If I've got multiple [stripped] lowers and one upper. I build the lowers, and pop said upper on each lower, one at a time, file a FA-10, I'm GTG? [tinfoil]

Doh - Read LenS' quoted reply, but didn't see the follow-up which is similar to mine, and then also confirmed.. Ignore above ^ - Good morning! wheres my coffee.. [angry]

I suspected something just like you detailed might be true - that if a new AWB comes down you would NOT be able to get just a lower grandfathered.

I'm going to have to check out my unbuilt lowers and the uppers I have and see what I come up with. I suspect I'm a few uppers shy of complete rifles.

There's a lot of people who are out there buying lowers and/or who have stockpiled them previously who are going to get caught by the short hairs I suspect if this thing goes thru.

So did the previous AWB "allow" you to change the upper after the fact?

- - - Updated - - -

It does. The dealers I have bought bare lowers from - who filled out an FA-10 on that transfer - didn't fill out that info. So it would be rather clear to somebody reading that particular form that what was being registered was just a lower only - not a complete rifle.

As Gillham noted below . . . prior to the Fed Ban, MFRS "Kitted" the same upper with untold numbers of lowers to grandfather them before the Fed Ban took effect. This was perfectly legal.

So you can mate them with a single upper, FA-10 them, disassemble and mate that same upper with your next lower, FA-10, rinse and repeat! [At least that was the case in 1994 . . . NOBODY can predict what will be legal in 2013!]

FRB was tossing FA-10s filed with no barrel length, no caliber, etc. when it was obvious that someone was IMPROPERLY trying to register a bare lower. That was told to me by Jason Guida a few years ago. Under MGLs, it isn't a gun until it can fire a projectile, so registering lowers didn't comply with the law and seeded his database with false info. See above for proper method.

With that said. If I've got multiple [stripped] lowers and one upper. I build the lowers, and pop said upper on each lower, one at a time, file a FA-10, I'm GTG? [tinfoil]

Doh - Read LenS' quoted reply, but didn't see the follow-up which is similar to mine, and then also confirmed.. Ignore above ^ - Good morning! wheres my coffee.. [angry]

I have two NES lowers sitting in my safe now. I also have a post-ban AR-15, so if it looks dicey, I'll complete it, FA-10 it and then move to the next one and repeat, then reassemble my factory Bushy and call it a day. Otherwise they will sit unregistered with the state until I either escape MA and can do what I really want with them or find the barrels (for a decent price [laugh]) to finish them the way MA will allow.

Just to clarify, when I complete my AR I just go online and fill out the FA-10 and I'm done? or do I need to bring it to an FFL to have it done? If I do this online nobody will actually be inspecting the completed AR and that ok, right?

Just to clarify, when I complete my AR I just go online and fill out the FA-10 and I'm done? or do I need to bring it to an FFL to have it done? If I do this online nobody will actually be inspecting the completed AR and that ok, right?

Correct, this is the perfect use for the eFA-10 as REGISTRATION (no info on source of gun). NO FFLs involved, no inspections, etc.

That's all I did....went online to the eFA-10 site and filled out the nessary fields. Pretty easy and simple. No need for FFL involvement.

Link gives an error message.

If you don't have a PIN (old horse-blanket LTC), you can NOT use the eFA-10 system at all.

If you lost your PIN, shame on you! [wink] You will need to go to your PD and talk with your LO to get them to look it up and re-issue that letter with the PIN to you. Then store the number on your cell phone so you will always have it handy if needed (and when doing eFA-10).

As Gillham noted below . . . prior to the Fed Ban, MFRS "Kitted" the same upper with untold numbers of lowers to grandfather them before the Fed Ban took effect. This was perfectly legal.

So you can mate them with a single upper, FA-10 them, disassemble and mate that same upper with your next lower, FA-10, rinse and repeat! [At least that was the case in 1994 . . . NOBODY can predict what will be legal in 2013!]

FRB was tossing FA-10s filed with no barrel length, no caliber, etc. when it was obvious that someone was IMPROPERLY trying to register a bare lower. That was told to me by Jason Guida a few years ago. Under MGLs, it isn't a gun until it can fire a projectile, so registering lowers didn't comply with the law and seeded his database with false info. See above for proper method.

I have two NES lowers sitting in my safe now. I also have a post-ban AR-15, so if it looks dicey, I'll complete it, FA-10 it and then move to the next one and repeat, then reassemble my factory Bushy and call it a day. Otherwise they will sit unregistered with the state until I either escape MA and can do what I really want with them or find the barrels (for a decent price [laugh]) to finish them the way MA will allow.

Not for nothing - and I'm not defending the MA system - but that just seems sort of stupid on the part of MA.

So I go and buy a lower - and they don't want the FA-10 to be filed. The BATF considers the serial numbered part to be "the firearm". I can now go online and order an upper - and the stock and trigger and all that - to put together a fully functional firearm. I know I am supposed to file an FA-10 at that point - but if I don't then MA has no idea that I now own that fully functional firearm.

Like I said - not defending the system - but I can see why the dealers have been filing an FA-10 on lowers - it makes logical sense in relation to the purpose of the system.

So could I claim ignorance on filing another FA-10 if I knew that one had already been filed when I bought the lower? [smile]

Back
Top Bottom