• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When to register your AR15

Maybe a dumb question, so apologies, but when asked on the form for caliber, do you put what the lower has stamped (multi for example) or what the rifle is chambered in?

Thanks!

I would put the caliber it was built at, just like the bbl length as installed initially. Info always subject to change.

Marking on the frame (to me) is meaningless IMNSHO.

I recently bought a stripped lower from a member who had previously fa-10'd it. We did a paper fa-10 transfer leaving out the barrel length etc. Should I wait to see if it gets kicked back ? If it doesnt, is it good to go even after its built or do I have to reregister it with a barrel length ?

So with all the talks on bans, should I/ we just go ahead and register a stripped receiver to beat out the ban?

I recently bought a stripped lower from a member who had previously fa-10'd it. We did a paper fa-10 transfer leaving out the barrel length etc. Should I wait to see if it gets kicked back ? If it doesnt, is it good to go even after its built or do I have to reregister it with a barrel length ?

Buying a stripped lower does not require an FA10 to be filed. Whether or not an FA10 was filed in the past for this item has no bearing on your purchase.

If and when you convert this into a firearm is when you are legally required to file an FA10 with all the information completed.

I'm sorry. I am confused about something.

What is the purpose of registering a stripped lower exactly? What does an FA-10 form do?

Buying a stripped lower does not require an FA10 to be filed. Whether or not an FA10 was filed in the past for this item has no bearing on your purchase.

I don't agree with this (the 2nd sentence), and IANAL but.... If a lower or a complete firearm at any time was FA10'd then it is registered to that individual. Should that individual then sell even just the lower it should absolutely be FA10'd to show transfer from that individual.

I don't agree with this (the 2nd sentence), and IANAL but.... If a lower or a complete firearm at any time was FA10'd then it is registered to that individual. Should that individual then sell even just the lower it should absolutely be FA10'd to show transfer from that individual.

Perhaps an attorney or moderator can confirm what I said.

The law regarding FA10's is not a gun registration law. It's purpose was set up to track certain transfers within Mass and not as any type of registration or inventory system for what a particular person owns. There are countless situations where this is true, one being the example in this thread that I responded to.

Here are 2 related examples which demonstrate this:

1. I move into Mass get licensed within the specified time frame and any firearms that I bring with me are exempt by statute from filing an FA10. So I am now in legal possession of firearms for which no FA10 exists in the system.

2. Subsequent to the above I sell 1 of these firearms to someone within Mass and file an FA10. The system now reflects that I sold a firearm for which there is no record of ownership on my part. If this was a registration system it wouldn't make sense. But like I said it is only a system to record certain transfers per the statute and each transfer stands on its own merits as to whether an FA10 requires filing. In the case of a stripped lower it is not a firearm, per Mass law, and accordingly does not require an FA10 be filed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom