When CMP goes full on auction most of us are doomed.

mac1911

NES Member
You folks with a decent disposable income , God bless.
I check out cmp auctions here and there but the prices always make me say WTF
Also erks me when service grade rifles go up instead of filling orders.

So if you want a M1 under 1k buy from the cmp when they offer them mail order. Soon you won't be able to get a field grade tuner 1200$

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=3750&n=Model-1917-Enfield-Service-Winchester-3625

I'm starting a new job soon, hopefully I'll have the money to pick up another one next year before they run out. They have gotten more expensive, but they are still a great deal.

Debating whether or not to buy another CMP M1, but for sure it won't be an auction rifle. I spent my stupid money on the pedigreed 1903 National Match and take it out for a couple matches per year so that it's not just a safe queen. Otherwise I'm happy to flog the CMP Garand Special for matches and fun days at the range. It's built from a nice WWII SA receiver.

If I did buy another CMP Garand, it would have to be another WWII receiver but this time in GI wood. CMP had quite the stock of rifles for sale at the New England Games. I didn't see anything I absolutely had to have, but they certainly had a much nicer selection than what I have seen at larger gun shops. Mostly what I have seen at shops lately are rack grade quality at collector prices.

I sure as hell hope that any decent CMP Garands don't all go to auction. I can imagine that as the stock dwindles, CMP will find more reasons to put something up on auction. I realize it's a normal supply and demand progression, but as the Garand numbers thin the 'collectors' will be taking over the purchases and the 'shooters' will more and more be priced out of the game. That's not completely in synch with CMP's mission to promote marksmanship, though more money in the coffer ultimately supports their mission.

Debating whether or not to buy another CMP M1, but for sure it won't be an auction rifle. I spent my stupid money on the pedigreed 1903 National Match and take it out for a couple matches per year so that it's not just a safe queen. Otherwise I'm happy to flog the CMP Garand Special for matches and fun days at the range. It's built from a nice WWII SA receiver.

If I did buy another CMP Garand, it would have to be another WWII receiver but this time in GI wood. CMP had quite the stock of rifles for sale at the New England Games. I didn't see anything I absolutely had to have, but they certainly had a much nicer selection than what I have seen at larger gun shops. Mostly what I have seen at shops lately are rack grade quality at collector prices.

I sure as hell hope that any decent CMP Garands don't all go to auction. I can imagine that as the stock dwindles, CMP will find more reasons to put something up on auction. I realize it's a normal supply and demand progression, but as the Garand numbers thin the 'collectors' will be taking over the purchases and the 'shooters' will more and more be priced out of the game. That's not completely in synch with CMP's mission to promote marksmanship, though more money in the coffer ultimately supports their mission.

remember they promote marksmenship and training not equipment supply plus they will lean on the air rifle area more and more

I'm going to sell or trade 2-3 Garands out of my safe this winter. One is a nice 4.68 HRA; haven't decided on the others yet.

The only Garand I would buy is a nice example of an HRA with a 60's rebuild etch on the leg, so I can complete the "60s rebuild grand slam".

There will always be Garands around and for sale. Not at the CMP prices, but not at "gun show" prices either.

I remember when the CMP released the Carbines last year. Guys were going mental and complaining about how they would "never be able to get one" if the CMP didn't pick their order. A review of gunbroker and a few other spots during that time revealed numerous Carbines being sold in the $8-900 range. Not CMP price, but not too bad if you wanted one either.

Last edited:
I remember when carbines were sub $200. Granted they are not my cup of tea, but $800 to $900 blows my mind.

I do agree with mac's title- when CMP goes full auction the days of a somewhat affordable shooter are over.

I remember when carbines were sub $200. Granted they are not my cup of tea, but $800 to $900 blows my mind.

I do agree with mac's title- when CMP goes full auction the days of a somewhat affordable shooter are over.
Part of that is inflation, part scarcity. Even a high point sells for over $200 these days

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Yup. Keeping the order form at my desk waiting for word on when they take service grade orders again. Then off it goes.

Yup. Keeping the order form at my desk waiting for word on when they take service grade orders again. Then off it goes.

I know theyre not filling orders, but are they not taking orders?

Iow, if I send in paperwork tomorrow and 3 months from now they decide to start filling orders again, wont I be 3 months ahead in line of the guy whose paperwork is mailed out the day sales resume?

I know theyre not filling orders, but are they not taking orders?

Iow, if I send in paperwork tomorrow and 3 months from now they decide to start filling orders again, wont I be 3 months ahead in line of the guy whose paperwork is mailed out the day sales resume?

No any order received after the "sold out" date on cmp sales page. http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/ will simply be trashed.
Currently the only mail in options are cmp special on a Winchester receiver and a few M1c and d sniper models with no scopes or accessories...these must be over valued as I would think they would have sold out by now.

You can always go to cmp auction

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=362&n=M1-Garand

Last edited:
I actually have a Garand already, I was just curious regarding the ordering during a CMP time-out.

Ive always heard the prices on the auction site were up there, o I never really followed them. $4k for an M1? No thanks, CMP. Mine shoots just fine.[laugh]

Hoping to get down to Pembroke this Sunday. Been meaning to get down there for a while but something always gets in the way.

I actually have a Garand already, I was just curious regarding the ordering during a CMP time-out.

Ive always heard the prices on the auction site were up there, o I never really followed them. $4k for an M1? No thanks, CMP. Mine shoots just fine.[laugh]

Hoping to get down to Pembroke this Sunday. Been meaning to get down there for a while but something always gets in the way.

Nice the more the better...score keepers and target pullers

No any order received after the "sold out" date on cmp sales page. http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/ will simply be trashed.
Currently the only mail in options are cmp special on a Winchester receiver and a few M1c and d sniper models with no scopes or accessories...these must be over valued as I would think they would have sold out by now.

You can always go to cmp auction

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=362&n=M1-Garand

What were the non-winchester specials selling for before they sold out? Last I looked (a while ago) they were 995 I think.

I wonder if when CMP runs out companies will start making new manufacture M1s. If I recall, someone did for a while but stopped

SA inc tried for a while but they where way to much even back then in 2005 they wanted 900$ for a cast receiver and the usgi parts builds where 1200$ !
Never understood SA inc and the prices... well maybe they are pretty involved guns to manufacture. Heck SA was getting 86$ each during WWII for the M1

Like I said before, the day that CMP runs out of M1s doesn't mean all M1s just magically disappear off of the earth. If you want one, there are plenty of ways to buy one...now and in the future.

Like I said before, the day that CMP runs out of M1s doesn't mean all M1s just magically disappear off of the earth. If you want one, there are plenty of ways to buy one...now and in the future.

just wont be as "cheap"

Bigger than CMP running out of Garands is CMP running out of HXP ammo. What good is a rifle if the ammo is tough and/or expensive (unless you reload) to find?

Once that's gone, there is no reasonable source of cheaper surplus or new ammo to shoot. How does PPU run per round?

Iirc, PPU was a couple pennies cheaper than CMP HXP, a year or two ago at least. To be honest, i haven't seen it in stock for a while and stopped looking.

Back
Top Bottom