What's Your Next Hunting Rifle?

We all like talking about hunting and guns! What's the next Shotgun / Rifle / Blackpowder on your shot list? The firearms forum is good but not much talk of hunting gear over there.

I've been thinking about taking that big step next year and moving to a Semi Auto Shotgun. I really like the feel of the Winchester SX3 and the Benelli SBEII.

What do you guys want.

Right now, for hunting, I have a do-all Remington 870 12ga, so In a loose order of priority:

Dedicated Slug Gun, 12ga (preferably Remington 870, but that Savage 220f has a strong chance of coming home with me instead)
30-06 bolt action (preferably Savage with Accu-Trigger, but would also consider Remington 700, just looking for the right deal... in other words if you have an '06 that's looking for a new home, I'm listening)
After that, I won't feel complete until I have a lever action in the safe
For some very strange reason, I feel compelled to own at least one gun in camo, it will probably be another 870. It will probably also live in the safe as I wouldn't want to be confused with a Fudd.

For hunting, that's about it. For defense and/or target, that's a whole other list (that is significantly longer).

I am looking to pick up a Benelli M2 for this year. I hope I can find one. I will be ready to pull the trigger (pun intended) in about a week

I am thinking a TC Omega DreamSeason BP rifle. I think I am going to use it for both shotgun and BP season for deer here in MA. I am having a hard time convincing myself I am better off with my 12ga smoothbore shotgun with open sights and rifled slugs, vs the TC which by all accounts is dead on upto 150-200 yds and with a scope. It just seems like a better setup to me than shotguns for deer.

You can't go wrong with the Omega the only time I don't use mine for shotgun is when I am in really thick stuff and know I may need a quick follow up shot.

Brian 5582, I am glad I am not the only doing this. For what it would cost to upgrade to a cantilever deer barrel for my shotgun - I can buy an new Omega, BP supplies, and still have some cash left over. And this way I end up with something I can use during BP season to boot. It seems like a no brainer, unless you are in the thick stuff like you mentioned.

Right now, for hunting, I have a do-all Remington 870 12ga, so In a loose order of priority:

Dedicated Slug Gun, 12ga (preferably Remington 870, but that Savage 220f has a strong chance of coming home with me instead)
30-06 bolt action (preferably Savage with Accu-Trigger, but would also consider Remington 700, just looking for the right deal... in other words if you have an '06 that's looking for a new home, I'm listening)
After that, I won't feel complete until I have a lever action in the safe
For some very strange reason, I feel compelled to own at least one gun in camo, it will probably be another 870. It will probably also live in the safe as I wouldn't want to be confused with a Fudd.

For hunting, that's about it. For defense and/or target, that's a whole other list (that is significantly longer).

PM SENT!

I'd like to pick up a Ruger Hawkeye in .204, or possibly something from Savage in .308 and use it for MRP too.

Id love to get a 30-06, definitely my next rifle when I decide to get one. I used a old Win Model 94 Lever action 30-30 for many many years, and a few years ago I picked up a Browning X-Bolt 270 and its been awesome.

Id get a 30-06 in either the Savage 16FCSS or the Winchester Weather Warrior series, both are beautiful guns!!

I also want the 220f,not to easy to come by around here(dicks can order them $450 black 500 camo)
And a lever 30-30(prob. marlin 336)
OH how nice to dream,unemployment sucks

I wouldn't mind a Calhoon in .19 Badger or a Cooper in .20 VarTarg if you're buying. Otherwise, maybe a Remington in .17 Fireball. Ideally, Savage and or NEF would come out with some offerings in .17 Fireball, then that would replace the Remington.

Hatter, check out the Remington website. They have camo stock and forends in the clearance section of their store for $15/piece

My primary interest is deer, but like to be well rounded.
I have two barrells for my 870
CVA Buckhorn In-line
Winchester 94 in .32 Win Spec.

Recently went Bear hunting (didn't see one, lots of moose tracks!) and borrowed a Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum. So that might be my next purchase! I like the Marlin 336. I'm a lefty so the lever action is faster than a bolt for me.

I also want the 220f,not to easy to come by around here(dicks can order them $450 black 500 camo)
And a lever 30-30(prob. marlin 336)
OH how nice to dream,unemployment sucks

Four Seasons can get almost anything Savage. He never has any in stock but he cuts a pretty good price on the special order stuff. Might want to see what they can do!?!

another winchester 1300 28in barrel this time

or a winchester sx3 i would really like one of those but ill probably end up going with the latter

Ruger M77 Compact in either .308 or 7mm-08 topped with a 2-7x32 scope. I'd actually prefer the M77 Mark II Frontier if I can find one. I just need something for the brush and for my son when he gets old enough.

Four Seasons can get almost anything Savage. He never has any in stock but he cuts a pretty good price on the special order stuff. Might want to see what they can do!?!
Thanks for the heads up.But being afull time single dad outta work its just a dream.I will keep it in mind ,if things look up I rather buy from a shop than a BIG BOX store.For now I'll stick with my old marlin bolt action shotgun.

I looked at the Savage 10 in Snow Camo last year, real nice gun I didn't jump on it because I wanted a barrel longer than 22".

I went looking at Semi Auto Shotguns yesterday and handled the Benelli SBEII...I'm in love.

I'm thinking mine is going to be a shotgun for waterfowl/upland birds. I am thinking about the Remington 887 Nitro-mag cause it can handle shells up to 3.5 inches, and I think it looks good. Plus the it is supposed to be impervious to the elements. I'm also not worried about finding a slug barrel because my dedicated slug gun is a 12ga Mossberg 695.

Back
Top Bottom