• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your favorite new revolver?

I don't know how many revolvers I have but the ones I'm looking at right now is the Smith R8 as just a cool range blaster and a top-break Schofield in 45 Colt, just for shits and grins.

Maybe these issues have been addressed but I didn't read all the posts. What do you want to do with this revolver? What caliber do you want? Do you want a single or double action? Do you reload?

Screw the Python.
Get a Medusa 47.
I should have bought one when they were selling for $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the S&W 69. Prior to the 69, the model 66 was my favorite.

I got no use for it. I don't particularly care for .44 Magnum recoil in an N-frame. I don't care to fire .44 Magnum in an L-frame.

If I was looking for a revolver that I don't already have, a 627 would be a fun game gun. I could load it with .38 Short Colts. I was interested in the 986, but last I heard they had issues.

S&W 627 Performance center. 8 rounds of 357 goodness in a well tuned, super slick, moonclip fed, lead spitting machine! I've got a dozen + other S&W revolvers and this one is a favorite. A real joy to own and shoot.

Last edited:
Actually I was just about to post that I want to get a S&W M&P R8, does anyone have one of those or shot one of those? I have no practical use for it, just want to get it as a range toy. Hey I'm just being honest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love my TRR8! Runner up in my safe is my 625PC.

You going to pay 5000 dollars for one? It would probably cost that much with all the hand fitting for a more than century old and somewhat fragile action.

If you really want one that badly I'll sell you mine for 4500 dollars, no trades, cash only...firm price. [rofl] didn't think so...see the problem?

I never said that I was looking for one. A finely tuned, precision revolver is going to require more maintenance than a Ruger or S&W, just like a high performance car is going to require more maintenance. Didn't you know this when you bought your Python?

My favorite is S&W 629 6", it is a tack driver and a joy to shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I just got a TRR8 which is my first wheel gun. The damn thing should have come with a tube of loctite though since after about 1k rounds every ****ing threaded part had backed out, including the barrel nut [hmmm]

My favorite at the moment would have to be my Performance Center
7bf83a7d843f585c3aca61abe6df358a.jpg

ee6c88fccdf8a4d521cece8d79490abf.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kimber [wink]

I just got a TRR8 which is my first wheel gun. The damn thing should have come with a tube of loctite though since after about 1k rounds every ****ing threaded part had backed out, including the barrel nut [hmmm]
Eek... I've heard about S&W quality being spotty these days but that's a bit ridiculous.

My favorite at the moment would have to by my Performance Center
7bf83a7d843f585c3aca61abe6df358a.jpg

ee6c88fccdf8a4d521cece8d79490abf.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Beautiful gun!

I own 4 revolvers that are among my favorite firearms of all time.

1) Ruger security six, blued, adjustable sights, 6" barrel. Its not as much of a beast as the GP100 and the lack of a full underlug keeps it pointable. And its very pretty
2) Smith and wesson 4" model 66 custom by Richard Fletcher of Fletcher Custom. This is the finest handgun I own. A joy to shoot.

3) New kid on the block - S&W 986. This is a 7 shot 9mm revolver. Its got a 5 inch barrel and a titanium cylinder. Before I shot it I was afraid it would be too light at about 32 oz. But its just perfect. It has the longer sight radius of a 5" gun but points and balances like a light 4" gun. Also because the barrel is longer, the recoil is more straight back than flip. The gun is new to me. So I've got a few things to do before it suits my needs. 1) new grips, I hate the Hogue finger grip grips. 2) a better/lighter DA trigger. I'm going to try doing a fluff and buff along with loosening the mainspring preload screw. It already has the PC main spring. I already make reloads for my competition glock using Federal primers, so it won't really need much of a whack.

To me the beauty of this gun is that I already make 9mm by the bucketful. So I won't hesitate to shoot it a lot.

Which reminds me I need to buy more moon clips.

4) last is a 6" high polish nickel model 29 in .44 magnum. I partly love this gun because of how I got it. I was at a gun shop in early 2013. The guy was freaked out by Obama's second term and was getting rid of any gun he didn't have a receipt for. The shop only offered him $300 for the gun. He turned it down. I followed him into the parking lot and offered him $350 cash on the spot. He accepted. We drove to a friends office down the road, printed up some DPS-3 forms and did the deal. The gun had never been fired and didn't even have turn marks on the cylinder.

Don

This is a group photo of the 29 painted for deer hunting. All the nickel is covered. Its a special paint that comes off with brake cleaner. Middle gun is a 686, which I like, but don't love. The bottom gun is the 66 before its visit with Richard Fletcher.

Last edited:
I own 4 revolvers that are among my favorite firearms of all time.

1) Ruger security six, blued, adjustable sights, 6" barrel. Its not as much of a beast as the GP100 and the lack of a full underlug keeps it pointable. And its very pretty
2) Smith and wesson 4" model 66 custom by Richard Fletcher of Fletcher Custom. This is the finest handgun I own. A joy to shoot.

3) New kid on the block - S&W 986. This is a 7 shot 9mm revolver. Its got a 5 inch barrel and a titanium cylinder. Before I shot it I was afraid it would be too light at about 32 oz. But its just perfect. It has the longer sight radius of a 5" gun but points and balances like a light 4" gun. Also because the barrel is longer, the recoil is more straight back than flip. The gun is new to me. So I've got a few things to do before it suits my needs. 1) new grips, I hate the Hogue finger grip grips. 2) a better/lighter DA trigger. I'm going to try doing a fluff and buff along with loosening the mainspring preload screw. It already has the PC main spring. I already make reloads for my competition glock using Federal primers, so it won't really need much of a whack.

To me the beauty of this gun is that I already make 9mm by the bucketful. So I won't hesitate to shoot it a lot.

Which reminds me I need to buy more moon clips.

4) last is a 6" high polish nickel model 29 in .44 magnum. I partly love this gun because of how I got it. I was at a gun shop in early 2013. The guy was freaked out by Obama's second term and was getting rid of any gun he didn't have a receipt for. The shop only offered him $300 for the gun. He turned it down. I followed him into the parking lot and offered him $350 cash on the spot. He accepted. We drove to a friends office down the road, printed up some DPS-3 forms and did the deal. The gun had never been fired and didn't even have turn marks on the cylinder.

Don

This is a group photo of the 29 painted for deer hunting. All the nickel is covered. Its a special paint that comes off with brake cleaner. Middle gun is a 686, which I like, but don't love. The bottom gun is the 66 before its visit with Richard Fletcher.

What does Fletcher do to the 66?

I have the new model 66-8, and it's pretty nice right out of the box.

He did the following
1) competition action and accurizing work, with a credit for chamfering the cylinders which he couldn't do because this is a pinned and recessed gun.
2) installed an oversized hand to fix timing issue
3) set barrel back to reduce cylinder gap
4) ream cylinder throats
5) recut forcing cone
6) recrowned barrel
7) bead blast
8) polish trigger.
9) replaced some buggered up screws.
10) new springs
11) cleaned up and reblue sights.

I went a little nuts, but it is insanely accurate and oh so so smooth. DA trigger pull is 6 lbs ish (I'll remeasure if you really want to know) from the middle of the trigger bow with the spring set up for Federal primers.

I justify the work by comparing it to the cost of a new gun. I bought it for $350 with 900 rounds of soft point .357 magnum ammo. Most of which I sold off for $300.

The only down side is that he had the gun for almost a year. Definitely not an impulse buy. If I send my 986 to him, I'm going to see if we can come up with an arrangement where I get in line, and then send him the gun a couple of weeks before he starts working on it.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom