• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your favorite .22 LR rifle? (Non semi auto)

This thread is motivating me, a few years back I bought an old CZ BRNO model 2 ( I think) from 1958. Whoever owned it previously turned it into a single shot by filling in the mag well and the stock is very heavy and beefy. It also has a 24" bull barrel, damn thing weighs as much as an M1. I got for cheap money, cleaned and oiled it and stuck it in the safe, never fired it. I gotta drag it out and take it to the range.

Last edited:
If I ever get the time, I'll have to get all my 22's into a dedicated cabinet. Same with the other calibers, especially 223 🤔

The problem might be, that when I look at them all together at one time, I might wet my pants o_O

97564BD7-224D-40DA-AD93-F2CB299695D8.jpeg I’m partial to the Savage MK II BTVS since I have one in blue and stainless. My girls love shooting them.

With federal champion standard velocity ammo I use 1/2” price sticker dots at 50 yards for targets. The High Velocity 22 groups are not that great with it.

My Ruger precision rimfire is close, but wood stocks are nicer to shoot with. It was an excuse for me to get one so when my girls want to, they can move up to the RPR .308

The second gun I ever bought was a Mossberg 144LS .22LR, bolt action with peep sights. Not super match gun, but damn nice. CMP a while ago was selling some variant of the 144 IIRC as a training rifle.

Of all my .22's I really like my Mossberg 35B. It was made in 1938 and has a 3/4'' Mossberg scope on it. I can hit a golf ball at 100 yards all day long with it. I'd like to adjust the scope to 50 yards and see how well it groups, but I'm afraid it will mess it up and not be good at 100 yards any more. I even shot it at 200 yards and was consistently hitting a guys prairie dog target with it. I was aiming at the wire holding the steel targets which was probably 8-10 feet above the ground. He was looking through a spotting scope and said it was rocking the target a couple inches with each hit.

tSXAvWX.jpeg
just shoot for groups at 100 yards?

My sons Anschutz Model 54 1907 target but it sits in the safe. So Savage Mark ll FV-SR is awesome for the money. Don’t ask about the Anshcutz cost
eh they aint that expensive, until you put them sights on! What are they going for new $4k+ with out sights?

eh they aint that expensive, until you put them sights on! What are they going for new $4k+ with out sights?
Yeah that’s about right depending what stock, shoulder support, palm support, left nostril support, etc then add the sites that you need 16 year old eyes to see through with multiple lenses, filters!, irises, site configuration etc. Shoots really well though.

Do not break ANYTHING. Hans has to fly in from Germany sleep with your wife if she is hot enough then pull out his 2mil spanner and bow to Austria and make the fix. Pricing BMW only wishes it could charge.

Savage 300. All day. Crisp easy trigger. Smooth bolt after 25+ years. Dinks a pie plate at 100 yards all day. Went 10/10 with skeets on a board a few times in a row with it using the irons.

I got inspired when a lady came up to me on the range and said, I bet you have a Humdinger :cool:

P1000654.JPG P1000655.JPG P1000636.JPG

I said, I Do! Would you like to try it ! ;)

Last edited:
So I took the BRNO model 4 out today, interesting afternoon. So I as I said earlier I bought this five or six years ago, cleaned it and put it in the safe, never fired it. I think I paid $150 for this rifle and its had work done. The action has been bedded and the mag well filled up with some kind of tray installed for the cartridge. I was looking at other model 4s online and they all had iron sights but this one has no dovetail for the front site at all so this leads me to think it's an aftermarket barrel.

So at the range is was a shit show, not with the rifle but the scope that was on it. Its one of the Golden Antler scopes with the TV view, I could barely get it to focus, everything on that son of a bitch was frozen and wouldn't move but after some persuasion with a pair of pliers....yes pliers I got it to focus enough for today. The trigger on this rifle is fantastic, one of the best I have ever used.

The target below was a ten shot group at 50 yards with CCI mini-mags, I was lucky to get this with all the trouble the scope gave me. I think after a new scope and different ammo it may be a one hole'r. I mean not too bad for a 63 year old .22

Couple of questions, are those sling mounts fore and aft on the stock? and would it be possible to clean out the mag well so I could use magazines again. Or should I leave as it?

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpeg
    IMG_0560.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    396.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 14
So I took the BRNO model 4 out today,
Couple of questions, are those sling mounts fore and aft on the stock? and would it be possible to clean out the mag well so I could use magazines again. Or should I leave as it?

You want to ask these guys:

CZ / Brno - RimfireCentral.com Forums

The only single shot adapters I know about are for the 452s, and are basically a magazine well insert, but it sounds like you have something I'm not familiar with.

CZ MAG 457 512 455 452 22LR SINGLE SHOT

Last edited:
I want a pump action gallery gun BAD, just love the action but not super interested in a Rossi due to QC issues.

Anyone know of a Remington/Winchester/Henry pump 22 available in state? Or can talk me into another model

So I took the BRNO model 4 out today, interesting afternoon. So I as I said earlier I bought this five or six years ago, cleaned it and put it in the safe, never fired it. I think I paid $150 for this rifle and its had work done. The action has been bedded and the mag well filled up with some kind of tray installed for the cartridge. I was looking at other model 4s online and they all had iron sights but this one has no dovetail for the front site at all so this leads me to think it's an aftermarket barrel.

So at the range is was a shit show, not with the rifle but the scope that was on it. Its one of the Golden Antler scopes with the TV view, I could barely get it to focus, everything on that son of a bitch was frozen and wouldn't move but after some persuasion with a pair of pliers....yes pliers I got it to focus enough for today. The trigger on this rifle is fantastic, one of the best I have ever used.

The target below was a ten shot group at 50 yards with CCI mini-mags, I was lucky to get this with all the trouble the scope gave me. I think after a new scope and different ammo it may be a one hole'r. I mean not too bad for a 63 year old .22

Did you try to unscrew the stock? I bet that magazine plug will simply fall out.

It's not a "plug" in the way your thinking, it looks like bedding compound or some kind of material that is similar. since the action is bedded I'm really not in a hurry to separate the two.
Almost looks like a bench rest set up.
Those “sling swivel” locations could be just that or used for accessories like bi pods , grip stops ,
And such. The front “swivel” mount might also have or had a barrel tension screw? Old school barrel tuning.
I would not mess with the bedded action either. I wonder if they screwed up the bedding and the compound got in the mag well and instead of trying to “fix” it , “fixed” it.. I dont think most people know just how big 22lr target shooting was 50 plus years ago.
My dad and his friends would laugh at me today for “target” shooting with the AR and such.
Especially for fun.
Now actual matxh shooting like service rifle or cmp games , 3 gun and such he could get into but he most likely would say practice with the 22s

Last edited:
Almost looks like a bench rest set up.
Those “sling swivel” locations could be just that or used for accessories like bi pods , grip stops ,
And such. The front “swivel” mount might also have or had a barrel tension screw? Old school barrel tuning.
I would not mess with the bedded action either. I wonder if they screwed up the bedding and the compound got in the mag well and instead of trying to “fix” it , “fixed” it.. I dont think most people know just how big 22lr target shooting was 50 plus years ago.
My dad and his friends would laugh at me today for “target” shooting with the AR and such.
Especially for fun.
Now actual matxh shooting like service rifle or cmp games , 3 gun and such he could get into but he most likely would say practice with the 22s
It seems the lock mechanism for the magazine has been removed as well, as much as I would like to make it usable with a mag it may just not be worth the hassle. I ordered a Leupold rimfire scope for it.

Back
Top Bottom