• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the WORST deal you've gotten...

I paid $250 for this repairman to come to my house and give my sewing machine an overhaul and teach me a few things about the more difficult functions. He took the one machine and gave me some line about how difficult the case was to open, etc etc. He brought it back and didn't teach me much if anything. I asked him to look at my other machine to put the tension knob back on (a two-second job, I just couldn't get it somehow) and he also said it didn't need any cleaning, it looked fine. I KNEW better than to pay him $250 and I just went and did it anyways. It turned out that machine was in BAD need of a good tuning. I got a different repairman and he charged me $40 to clean it- but we do swaps and whatnot too and I had bought a good machine from him- he's my sewing machine repairman for life now. I can give you folks their names & numbers if you want- who to avoid & who to go to.

Last edited:
Bought a Benelli M2 without trying to shoot one first. Turned out that I hated it.

Also, traded with someone for an early model carbon 15 AR15, without reading up on the fact that Bushmaster would not repair them, and sure enough ,after five shots the extractor broke.

Also, before I knew nuthin, I bought a Universal M1 Carbine, sight unseen. I got rid of that in a hurry, thank god. The cheap wooden stock on that thing would make your skin crawl.

Haven't had a bad deal, but I have made a big mistake by passing on a Kahr K9, LNIB, manufactured on the same month and day as my birthday. I absolutely wanted to throw it on the credit card, but I didn't. Went back the next week and sadly it was gone.

Worst deal ............ paying full retail price for a Walther PPK/S

Biggest mistake ................ passing on an SP89 for $2100

I passed on a M1 carbine with paratrooper stock and 10 mags for $135. I also bought a NIB S&W 547 9MM revolver with 3 inch barrel for $250 and sold it for the same. I could have bought a NIB 5946 that day for $250 with 5 mags. Just before the ban, too. I also had 2 S&W 520s, one NIB. Bought both for $300 apiece and sold them for the same. Unfired.

I passed on a Sig Blackwater that was a great price. Came with a ton of mags, extra barrel, both sets of grips, all box/papers and some others. Im kicking myself.

Not exactly my fault, but still a suck deal!

The worst deal I've had was when I went to the gun cabinet in my dad's room when I was 17 and noticed the door was messed up, because when I looked inside, my almost new Remington 11-87 special purpose slug gun with red-dot was gone. It turned up in Texas years later, but I have yet to see it. Still involved in the court system somehow. Losing your $850 shot gun when your 17 isn't the easiest thing to handle. I think I cried for a good long time.[crying]

I talked myself past the misgivings I had about the Glock 17 and bought one because a lot of people thought so highly of them. I hated the cheap plastic feel, I couldn’t get the feel of the trigger safety out of my mind and I shot it poorly.

Over all it was a good cheap lesson.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I bought a P22 from pdm and it was the crappiest gun I've ever owned. No blame laid on Pete though. He didn't misrepresent it or ask an unfair price. Now that I'm rid of it, we both laugh about how it was crappy [smile].

After my dad passed away, got his safe open and realized he sold my late brother's S&W 29-1 to a friend of his. He did it 10yrs before he died, mom said he didn't want my sisters and I fighting over it after he was gone. The irony, neither sis now has an LTC.

Have spoken to the friend, soon as I have the cash, it's mine!

My biggest mistake was selling a Walther my uncle took off a german officer, it looked to be unfired.

Second was selling any gun I ever sold.

Worst deal I missed.

It was on a SAKO TR for $850 and a Browning A5 Stalker 12ga that was LNIB for $800 on the same day. At the time, I was going through a divorce / custody battle and money was hard to come by.

smitty

I still kick myself on this one:

Traded in my Glock 19 and Remington 870 wingmaster (and some cash) towards a Para Ordnance LDA C6 .45. That gun sucked big time. I then traded that in for a Para P12 Limited .45. That one didn't suck as much, but still wasn't reliable enough to be considered for carry. Sold that back to the shop for not much cash and some ammo. f***IN STUPID!!!!

I really wish I had just kept the Glock and the shotty. I'm not a big Glock fan, but the 19 is just a sweety.

My first gun, a Glock 17 that I bought from Lew Horton's in Framingham. I don't want to admit how much I paid for it.

Worst deal for me was I wasn't old enough to own guns when guns and ammo were dirt cheap, I get into it and then they skyrocket [crying]

AKs are $600ish now and everyone remembers when they were $300. When they were $300, everyone remembered when they were $150. A few years from now, these will probably be remembered as the good old days when everything was cheap.

Anyone here get one of the NRA/CMP 1911s back when you could mail-order them for $25? (M1s were around the same.) I wasn't around then, but I'm sad I didn't pick up an M1 when they were under $100, which wasn't that long ago.

AKs are $600ish now and everyone remembers when they were $300. When they were $300, everyone remembered when they were $150. A few years from now, these will probably be remembered as the good old days when everything was cheap.

Or the bubble will burst and prices will come down. Remember how much a preban AR15 cost in late 1994?

Back
Top Bottom