• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the least expensive & most abundant milsurp ammo caliber.

I've been trying to decide what next to add to my collection & figure I'd like to go with something that has an abundant supply of ammo available as well as inexpensive ammo when compared to others. (other than .22 of course). What do you see as mostly available at low cost?

Mosin, definitely. Plenty of ammo available, plenty of rifles available. I recall from reading before that you do have some of these but it's still the answer to your question.

There seems to be more types of 7.62x54r out there right now than any other type of milsurp ammo and new crates are popping up everywhere.
I've been seeing 8mm dry up for a while now. The Turk stuff is gone from the major distributors. The 1950s Yugoslavian is available but the 70s stuff has dried up, and Romanian is getting harder to find.
But as for 7.62x54r.... theres Czech, Polish, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Russian, and once in a while you can still find Albanian and Chinese.

Mosin, definitely. Plenty of ammo available, plenty of rifles available. I recall from reading before that you do have some of these but it's still the answer to your question.

I suppose this is true. Afterall, it's only something like 14 cents per round after shipping is added.

I like the Mosins too, hell, suppose I can get another type since there's a variety of them.

There seems to be more types of 7.62x54r out there right now than any other type of milsurp ammo and new crates are popping up everywhere.
I've been seeing 8mm dry up for a while now. The Turk stuff is gone from the major distributors. The 1950s Yugoslavian is available but the 70s stuff has dried up, and Romanian is getting harder to find.
But as for 7.62x54r.... theres Czech, Polish, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Russian, and once in a while you can still find Albanian and Chinese.

From your list of ammo there, what's your favorite? I just got a case of Hungarian silvertip. Haven't shot it yet, but soon, but I'm thinking of picking up more ammo. I found some albanian, but was too expensive for me considering the czech, bulgarian & hungarian were 1/2 the cost of the albanian..

As far as MN ammo goes, guess I'll continue reading about the ammo variations as I'm finding various cores as well as various tips like silver, yellow, yellow/silver, etc & well, suppose I should try various one's out

Try them all and try each in every Mosin you own. Some will perform better with certain ammo. I don't really have a favorite. I have some that doesn't stick in any Mosins, the Albanian for example.

I agree with the majority so far that 7.62x54 is the most plentiful and least expensive for military plinking. The rifles that shoot this ammo are also quite available and also very affordable.

Back
Top Bottom