What's the interest in semi-auto versions of sub-guns?

Bill Nance

Banned
Ok, this is not at all to knock anyone, so please don't take it that way.

I look at all these sub machine guns in semi-auto out there and ask myself: "Why would anyone even want one?

For plinking they seem kinda lame. I can plink with a pistol that has obvious strong points (concealability, etc) or a rifle where I can really push my marksmanship skills.

For tactical use, well, honestly wouldn't a M4 semi work as well or better?

I'd love to have a full auto MP5 or Thompson, but I wouldn't spend anything on a semi-version of these cause I just kinda think to myself Whats the point?

Is anyone else left cold by these things or is it just me?

I kind of agree. I LOVE the Thompson, but shooting it semi-auto loses its appeal pretty quickly. It's really heavy and, for me at least, not terribly accurate.

I'm not saying I would turn one down. They just aren't high on my "to buy" list

[popcorn]

i thinks it's more for the cool factor. while some may buy them for the mall ninja aspect (wanna-be's).

I'm not a big PCC fan either. I'd rather just build/buy another AR or AK, in their respective native calibers.

The main attractiveness to PCCs is the cool factor, and ammo commonality with handguns the person might already own.

You can also shoot PCCs on a lot of indoor ranges where the backstop won't
take full power rifle ammo.

Not often mentioned, but reloading for pistol is way easier than reloading
.223/5.56 for a rifle is, so that might be a consideration.

ETA: I'd never turn down an opportunity to shoot someone else's PCC, but so far I haven't been able to justify buying one
myself.... [laugh] Many years ago, I did come close to picking up an HK94A3..... but was too rich for my blood, and my
interest kinda waned from there.

-Mike

Last edited:
Some folks collect guns and are interested in them for the gun itself, not what it does or what it's good for. I agree that they seem not very practical, but some people collect thimbles too, how practical is that?

Don't fall for the anti trap that someone needs to have a practical reason to have a particular gun. Maybe it just looks cool to them.

Bill,

You clearly don't own a SA Uzi or HK94. If you did, you'd know what the attraction is.

Actually I kind of agree with Bill on this, and again, not at all a knock on anyone's collection. But the ones that have me guessing are the Mac 10 and associated knock offs. I mean, if I could actually get my hands on an HK94 I bet I could find a way to love it pretty dam fast, but with those little compact Cobrays/macs etc, they just look clunky and inaccurate.

On the other hand, as Fooped pointed out, I don't have either of them so what the F@@@ do I know?

Personally I find no shame in buying a semi-clone. I don't have a green card and frankly don't have the money for one. The next best thing is a semi-auto. Cheaper by thousands of not tens of thousands and exponentially cheaper to shoot.

That's not to say I wouldn't go hog wild on full auto guns if I had the free cash.

If God came down and told me to get rid of my IMI Uzi or else, I'd tell God to go screw himself...Shoot one and you will understand.....[wink]

Nothing like being able to engage targets at 200-yards with a pistol bullet...Fun to plink with, built like a tank, reliable, fast, historic, insanely accurate, cool and really fun to boot...My IMI Model B has converted more: "I think pistol caliber carbines are stupid" people that I can count...[cheers]

I kind of agree. I LOVE the Thompson, but shooting it semi-auto loses its appeal pretty quickly. It's really heavy and, for me at least, not terribly accurate.

I'm not saying I would turn one down. They just aren't high on my "to buy" list

Have a T-1-C and found that you need to aim at 4 O' clock....at least with mine. Painted the bolt knob and use it as a rear sight. Found that a center hold produces groups at 10 O'clock. 4 gets them in center.

No problem on a man-size target. Looking for "X-ring" accuracy is another matter. Its not a competition piece.

If God came down and told me to get rid of my IMI Uzi or else, I'd tell God to go screw himself...Shoot one and you will understand.....[wink]

Nothing like being able to engage targets at 200-yards with a pistol bullet...Fun to plink with, built like a tank, reliable, fast, historic, insanely accurate, cool and really fun to boot...My IMI Model B has converted more: "I think pistol caliber carbines are stupid" people that I can count...[cheers]

Which reminds me, I want to shoot that someday. Also, we should shoot that Kush someday as well. What is that, 7.62x45?

Pic?!!

Ok guys, just to reiterate, as I said in the initial post, I'm not trying to knock anyone's collection. It was an honest question to which I'd like to hear people respond, not some indictment of your personal tastes. What the Hell, some people hate vanilla/strawberries. Doesn't mean they're wrong.

To those guys who have Uzis: what is a "good" price to pay for an IMI semi-auto Uzi these days in MA?

I have seen a few of them over the last couple of years in local shops (Four Seasons had one a few weeks back) - and lately I have been thinking I should get one.

Ok guys, just to reiterate, as I said in the initial post, I'm not trying to knock anyone's collection. It was an honest question to which I'd like to hear people respond, not some indictment of your personal tastes. What the Hell, some people hate vanilla/strawberries. Doesn't mean they're wrong.

Tell that to the chocolate strawberry folks. [rofl][rofl]

Which reminds me, I want to shoot that someday. Also, we should shoot that Kush someday as well. What is that, 7.62x45?

We really should...I'm thick with 9mm as well and have ammo cans full of loaded mags - could be quite the adventure...[cheers]

As soon as I get home - Photobucket is blocked here at DSG...[rolleyes]

Who said you were wrong? I may have missed it, but I don't see anyone indicting anything - you asked - you were answered. Are you looking for problems where there aren't any? [thinking]

To those guys who have Uzis: what is a "good" price to pay for an IMI semi-auto Uzi these days in MA?

I have seen a few of them over the last couple of years in local shops (Four Seasons had one a few weeks back) - and lately I have been thinking I should get one.

The price is going up everywhere. Three - almost four years ago, I paid $1345.00 at Collectors for mine, (including ammo) and mine was absolutely NIB - like a time machine. Now, $1500.00 seems to be the going rate, but make sure there's accessories in that price, (original case, mags, loader, sling, manual, dummy barrel, etc). The nice thing about the IMI is that they're pre-ban, so look for deals where you can find them, but don't wait too long - they'll just get more expensive and harder to find...

I'm still waiting for a pic of your Socom as well.

BTW you said you would call me after we met that night and you never did. [wink][smile][shocked]

I know - I get that way sometimes...[kiss]

BTW...Will post a pic of the SOCOM, but was waiting until it was done. I have a VLTOR Clubfoot, Troy two-point and a QD sling mount inbound and she's done....[cheers]

Last edited:
For me its the next best thing. I don't have a Green Card and prob wouldn't want to spend the money feeding a full auto anyway. Cool factor is also a motivator.
If I had an unlimited budget I would prob have one of everything from trap to cowboy to crossbows etc.

Ok, this is not at all to knock anyone, so please don't take it that way.

I look at all these sub machine guns in semi-auto out there and ask myself: "Why would anyone even want one?

For plinking they seem kinda lame. I can plink with a pistol that has obvious strong points (concealability, etc) or a rifle where I can really push my marksmanship skills.

For tactical use, well, honestly wouldn't a M4 semi work as well or better?

I'd love to have a full auto MP5 or Thompson, but I wouldn't spend anything on a semi-version of these cause I just kinda think to myself Whats the point?

Is anyone else left cold by these things or is it just me?

Nope, not just you. Guess it just comes down to the individual, and individual wants, desires and tastes.

Example: Cannot understand the craze for the 10/22. Have had a Rem Nylon 66 since the 70's. 14-shot, never misfired, never jammed, swear I could pick your eyes out at 50 yards. Picked up tubes from Taurus that work just fine for a quick reload for the 66. Put an Aimpoint 2x on it and swear I personally need nothing more in that particular type of weapon.

Go to different calibers, and you will find multiple differing opinions. Some folks will evaluate honestly, others will try to justify a big buck investment because they are "locked" into it through the dollars spent....and are biased accordingly.

It all needs to be taken with "a grain of salt". [wink]

I'll go along and say I probably wouldn't be able to afford full auto versions either.

Only problem is some semi auto versions function like shit.

Please enlighten this uninformed person. Have never fired one at all. [grin]

My HK94 was MORE than the cheaper full auto guns (MAC 10, 11 etc), and it was worth every single penny. It just has to be seen and shot to be appreciated.

I also have an IMI Uzi model B, a Calico M900 and a Calico M950 and they're all really fun to shoot and collect.

My HK94 was MORE than the cheaper full auto guns (MAC 10, 11 etc), and it was worth every single penny. It just has to be seen and shot to be appreciated.

I also have an IMI Uzi model B, a Calico M900 and a Calico M950 and they're all really fun to shoot and collect.

No offense, and not trying to be a buster. Have never seen, handled or fired an HK94. What makes it so great? Give a good description....am sure others would be interested as well. [grin]

That's sort of like explaining... well.. um... this is a family forum.

You can't define something subjective like this with details and facts...

That's sort of like explaining... well.. um... this is a family forum.

You can't define something subjective like this with details and facts...

Of course you can. It can be described with weight, handling, feel in the hand, sights, trigger, reaction to various ammo....etc.etc. Don't understand why a "favorite" cannot be described...or the reluctance to do so. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom