What's the deal with C&R 10+ cap mags?

I'm sure this question has been asked to the point of nausea, but...

Whats the deal with high cap mags for C&R guns? Are they legal to mail into the state, or do they have to have been in MA before the ban took effect?

Say, for example, you have a C&R gun that went out of production before the ban. So every gun and mag made for it was pre-ban, but not necessarily in MA before the ban. If you mail such a C&R gun into the state, can you also have those mags mailed in?

The gun that comes to mind is the CZ-82's with their 12 rd mags. But I'm sure there are others.

Or really go C&R; m1911, Walther P38 or P1, all the WW2 era .32/.380s, Beretta M34 in .380, Colt 1903, 1908 .380.

P1 is a decent, cheap 9mm. Unfortunately it doesn't like a lefty - ejects into the face and throat.

t

CZ-82s are great guns, mine was very accurate. I liked it much better than the P64 types.

The state high cap bans have taken several forms:

- Manufacture cutoff date (MA)
- PERSONALLY possessed in state before the ban (CA)
- Declared to the govt before the ban (CT)
- No grandfathering (CA recently, in the courts)
- NO grandfathering, upheld by the courts (all of Canada, eh?)

CZ-82s are great guns, mine was very accurate. I liked it much better than the P64 types.

It was my cheapy college concealed carry piece. Was a bit rough on the hands at the range, but a tack driver. I plan to buy another and erase my mistake of selling it. Chrome lined barrel looked brand new. I had to replace the mag release button, because the old one was so worn that it had become very mushy. Other than that, functioned 100%

It was my cheapy college concealed carry piece. Was a bit rough on the hands at the range, but a tack driver. I plan to buy another and erase my mistake of selling it. Chrome lined barrel looked brand new. I had to replace the mag release button, because the old one was so worn that it had become very mushy. Other than that, functioned 100%

yeah, those things are great, over complicated version of Mak, you can trim and re-load mak from 9mm brass, polygonal barrel.

there was one dude here who overhauled his CZ82 and it was a friggin epic story.

I'm carrying my 1915 Colt in .380 now; that is until my Detective comes. Nice flat profile.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4580.jpg
    IMG_4580.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 23
Tim, i thought you sold that colt?

Nope. Pulled it almost as soon as I posted. Great condition and VERY hard to find; I think 8 M03 .32s were made for 1 M08 in .380. Light load Liberty carry rounds cut down on recoil (50gr, at 1500fps).

t

I'm sure this question has been asked to the point of nausea, but...

Whats the deal with high cap mags for C&R guns? Are they legal to mail into the state, or do they have to have been in MA before the ban took effect?

Say, for example, you have a C&R gun that went out of production before the ban. So every gun and mag made for it was pre-ban, but not necessarily in MA before the ban. If you mail such a C&R gun into the state, can you also have those mags mailed in?

The gun that comes to mind is the CZ-82's with their 12 rd mags. But I'm sure there are others.
Another C&R question. Forget you have a C&R. You have to abide by MA law and the C&R is toilet paper to MA.

Yes, you can go out of state and buy C&R or have it shipped to you, but still, MA law rules. No need to ask C&R quesitons since it does you no good...

Many places will not ship C&R items to mass by policy. Several really don't care what the laws are.
Not even mass related but there are a few vendors that refused to ship to my mailing address on my FFL they would only ship to Premise . Even though the federal ATF laws say it can be shipped to any address if I am the one receiving it. Unless that changed in the past 6 years.

Many places will not ship C&R items to mass by policy. Several really don't care what the laws are.
Not even mass related but there are a few vendors that refused to ship to my mailing address on my FFL they would only ship to Premise . Even though the federal ATF laws say it can be shipped to any address if I am the one receiving it. Unless that changed in the past 6 years.
Both very true statements unfortunately. People see MA as the hole that it is and refuse to deal with it. They usually have similar feelings about CA.

Finding good C&R deals does not always translate to being able to get it shipped in.

It is legal to have it shipped to premise and mailing, that has not changed. I too have seen vendors that will only ship to premise and I have an 03 and an 07. USPS does not deliver to my 07 premise (long story) so I always tell them to ship FedEx/UPS to my premise and USPS to my mailing. They then ship USPS to my premise and get really pissy when it gets returned and finally correctly send to my mailing. One time it was $150 in shipping that the shipper ate by not listening...

Nothing in MA law disallows you from receiving your C&R purchase in the mail. You just have to EFA10 it. Some shippers dont care and just say "NO" to MA.

The cz82 looks nice but don't seem to be very available.
Right now I'm debating P64, Tokarev or CZ50, leaning Tokarev. I've heard the P64 is unpleasant to shoot.

Another vendor had some cool Walther PPs but they were a little more than I felt like spending.

Would probably prefer a Makarov out of all of these but I think GB is the only route for those right now.

Another think about revolvers is that very little can go wrong. I'm a bit older, and in MY day as a Federal LE, I carried a S/W 66 .357. It's what you're comfortable with...my first gun for years was a S/W 19-3 .357. Here's the detective...1937....a lot less bulky.

t

Attachments

• pix013424407.jpg
    pix013424407.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 12
  • pix854132047.jpg
    pix854132047.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 12
  • pix969173978.jpg
    pix969173978.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 12
Tim, i thought you sold that colt?

Nope. Pulled it almost as soon as I posted. Great condition and VERY hard to find; I think 8 M03 .32s were made for 1 M08 in .380. Light load Liberty carry rounds cut down on recoil (50gr, at 1500fps).

t
Oh that's interesting, I guess I just never thought about light loads to make a small historic pistol more pleasant to shoot.

The cz82 looks nice but don't seem to be very available.
Right now I'm debating P64, Tokarev or CZ50, leaning Tokarev. I've heard the P64 is unpleasant to shoot.

Its worth waiting for a cz82 IMO. The P64 is quite unpleasant to shoot but the Tokarev was ok.

I agree on the P64. I have one. i shot it once years ago and it's been in the safe ever since. I put it up for sale years ago on the classifieds for what i paid and no one would bite. it sits in my safe as a paperweight
i love my CZ82 and the polygonal rifling is interesting and accurate.
Personally, i love the tokarev TTC. it looks like it was made by a cave man and pretty reliable
I found the 7.62X25 a real hoot to shoot. it was my favorite round for a long time. back in 2010 the ammo was dirt cheap and was a guilt free day at the range. i think it was $4-$5 a box while 9mm was $9-$10

I sold my CZ50. i can't remember why but it wasn't as much fun. maybe mine had too mand FTFs or something i really don't remember.

The P 64 is a very nice looking gun,but I hate the snap it gives you when shooting. It just wants to jump out of your hand.

Back
Top Bottom