• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the deal with C&R 10+ cap mags?

The P 64 is a very nice looking gun,but I hate the snap it gives you when shooting. It just wants to jump out of your hand.
its not the recoil its the groin pulling trigger pull.
If your a CR "collector" its a cheap option . If your planning to shoot it. There are better options.
The CZ82 is a nice little gun and still some what easy to get parts for. Would I buy one at todays $400 price range? No I paid $149 for mine less than 10 years ago....now if my pay went up some what with the increases of everthing I might drop $400 on a mint one.
mine are shooter grade and I like to shoot them.

I got rid of the trigger pull when I had one by changing the spring.I still didn't like the way it snapped in my hand.

This mirrors what I've heard about the P64. It looks nice but no one seems to like shooting it.
I always planned on a Tokarev at some point.
I'm leaning CZ-82 right now since I found out it has an ambi safety (I'm a lefty) and I wasn't aware of that before.

Still regret passing up a nice East German Makarov for $350 a couple years ago.

I got rid of the trigger pull when I had one by changing the spring.I still didn't like the way it snapped in my hand.

Same here, changed both springs and it was still nothing but unpleasant to shoot because of the recoil.

This mirrors what I've heard about the P64. It looks nice but no one seems to like shooting it.
I'm leaning CZ-82 right now since I found out it has an ambi safety (I'm a lefty) and I wasn't aware of that before.

Ambi mag release also. Although I still just use my trigger or middle finger to drop the mag.
Let it be a warning unless your pistol is broken do not detail strip it. Its a pita to get back together , reminds me I should down load the fe assembly guide that's out there some where.

Ambi mag release also. Although I still just use my trigger or middle finger to drop the mag.
Let it be a warning unless your pistol is broken do not detail strip it. Its a pita to get back together , reminds me I should down load the fe assembly guide that's out there some where.

Yeah, the button is fairly recessed and the grips ride high around the button. I couldn't release the mag with my thumb without bending my wrist. My release button was also very worn internally on the right side and I replaced it. Clearly the previous owner was right handed too. The 82 I had wasn't a drop free mag either. But you can just polish down the grooves on the inside of the grip panels to make it drop free.

I didn't find it much worse than any other similar sized gun. I haven't found any small gun in .380 or higher that is pleasant to shoot.

Looks like the S&W 64 is only dealer purchase if it's the vendor I know of. That's a shame. Also not C&R as far as I know (I don't tote my book from the ATF around with me to check though).

I have a line on a CZ-82 made in 1988 that comes with holster, cleaning rod, and two mags. I think Century sold them as packages as one point. I'm a bit on the fence but if the price doesn't rise, I think I'll get it. Weird to think it's a C&R gun even though it's only about 4-6 years older than my current carry piece.

The CZ-82 holsters look ambi, too, which I guess makes sense considering the safety and mag release. The Tok ones are not.

The cz82 looks nice but don't seem to be very available.
Right now I'm debating P64, Tokarev or CZ50, leaning Tokarev. I've heard the P64 is unpleasant to shoot.

Another vendor had some cool Walther PPs but they were a little more than I felt like spending.

Would probably prefer a Makarov out of all of these but I think GB is the only route for those right now.

P64: Very available, but not reliable (IMHO).

CZ82: Sophisticated; but don't ever disassemble it. Great for Lefties.

Tokarev: Available and Reliable. And cheap. If I were to purchase any of these 3 right now this would be my choice.

I'm waiting for the S/W 66 .357 to become C&R. Was my LE piece. I think they started in the late '70s.

T

Doubt there will be much actual military stuff hitting the C&R market, but I too am looking forward to LE stuff that will become C&R in the coming years. I personally find the whole variety "wonder 9's" of the 80's and 90's to be very interesting pieces of history, even if they aren't particularly valuable.

Last edited:
look out if your going to buy a CZ50 from the video wholesale place.From what I hear most of what they have left is junk,but it's the last batch they are going to get. LOL!

S/W 66 no dash first made in 1970...not much longer to wait! Could never get the 'ring' stains off the face of the cylinder when cleaning it. We had Pachmyr grips on ours; the wood would eat your hand after 12 rounds.

t

pix381006050.jpg

Last edited:
The cz82 looks nice but don't seem to be very available.
Right now I'm debating P64, Tokarev or CZ50, leaning Tokarev. I've heard the P64 is unpleasant to shoot.

I bought both quite a while back. The CZ82 is a nice shooter pretty accurate but still a little snappy. The p64 is definitely snappy and I don't shoot it much, but not really because of the kick. That said it's not like it's a little cannon, just snappy. It's like the guys who say the Mosin Nagant is brutal to shoot and a shoulder killer. Yeah it's got a kick but a lot less than a turkey load, or a slug gun (IMO). I suspect the guys that complain about the Mosin spend most of their time behind a .223/5.56 :). The p64 is cheap, if you want one grab it, it won't break your hand or the bank. You never know when they will dry up! CZ82's were easy to find not that long ago.

That second unnamed dealer you mentioned is selling non C&R toks. They explain that they can't/won't verify production date and tok's were manufactured well into non C&R territory.

The problem is there are 2 flavors of toks. One is the 7.62x25 that we all know and love but there's also 9mm versions being made. Those are not c&r while the x25 version is.

It's all good. There were two CZ-82 auctions I was in on and decided to let them both go in the end, although the first one did look really good and the winning bid was only $5 more. Maybe I'll add one down the road. If I wasn't already planning a separate non-C&R purchase that will require some funding, I might've gone for it or a P1, or something.

The consolation prize will let me recreate Boris's avatar, if nothing else.

It's all good. There were two CZ-82 auctions I was in on and decided to let them both go in the end, although the first one did look really good and the winning bid was only $5 more. Maybe I'll add one down the road. If I wasn't already planning a separate non-C&R purchase that will require some funding, I might've gone for it or a P1, or something.

The consolation prize will let me recreate Boris's avatar, if nothing else.

Yeah, I see some pricey ones up there, but there are still plenty of reasonable ones on auction. Just have to be patient and find the right gun.

Back
Top Bottom