What's the best FLIP UP AR REAR SIGHT?

I am looking to buy a flip up REAR only sight for my AR, what should I get? Anyone have suggestions on brands? Anyone have one they want to sell?

While TROY does make an excellent product, before you buy I'd recommend that you try to estimate where the rear peep has to be to get your muzzle close to on-target. There are a bunch of different heights out there. Some work with the original front site, some won't and you'll run out of room to adjust the elevation pretty quickly. Rear BUIS (back up iron sights) sights don't usually have elevation built into them but, rather, only have windage trusting that the front sight will accomodate any elevation issues.

Just a heads up so you don't pull out your hair.

Rome

I have a Troy Micro BUIS set on my XCR and regular height Troys on my AR. They're excellent.

Troy the benchmark, but there are others that may suit you better. Yes, ARMS IS A BUTTHEAD with Troy, but Magpul has a decent rear and front setup as well as Midwest. You best bet will be a flip up with decent elevation adjustment.

Troy is probably the best in quality overall, but for the money I think there are other sights out there that are just as durable and are somewhat less expensive, including the MI and YHM offerings. Since all my flip-up BUIS sights are used just for that (BACKUP), I've gone with both MI and YHM and saved a boatload of money while still getting a quality product.

I was curious if all sights were compatible or not, as far as height. I guess this answers my question.

Troys can be expensive but they also run sales fairly often. They just had one for 25% off an order of $250 or more.

I was curious if all sights were compatible or not, as far as height. I guess this answers my question.

From what I read, it depends on the front post. For 'proper/milspec' the front sight post should be an 'F' marked one to allow proper sight alignment with a BUIS, if Derek or one of the others more familiar with the TDP correct me, it would be appreciated.

Another vote for Troy. If you were looking for a set of sights, they're currently $10 off (sets only), also free shipping on orders over $25. If you have a C&R, the price at Brownell's is about $10 less than direct from Troy but you'll wind up losing the savings when you add in shipping.

I see these need a special tool to adjust. Is that such a good idea? Heck, even chainsaws brag about "tooless adjustments".

I see these need a special tool to adjust. Is that such a good idea? Heck, even chainsaws brag about "tooless adjustments".

The Troy HK-style is the only one I know of which requires a special tool. The protective arms on the sight curve inward which preclude use of the standard GI sight adjustment tool. My last AR purchase included such a sight but no tool. I had to order one from Troy for $9 plus USPS. I do not know if Troy includes the tool with purchase of the sight.

I have a Bravo Company M4 upper with a standard iron sight. DD Omega X 7 rails and an ACOG. I opted for a Magpul MBUS popup rear sight, It co-witnessed well with the ACOG and front sight. I'm very pleased and the price was small money. It's made of an impact resistant polymer. Not sure that I would want to take that into battle but the Magpul stuff is pretty rugged. If I was going all iron, I'd do the Troy stuff. The Magpul coupled with the ACOG seems a win for me.

I have a Bravo Company M4 upper with a standard iron sight. DD Omega X 7 rails and an ACOG. I opted for a Magpul MBUS popup rear sight, It co-witnessed well with the ACOG and front sight. I'm very pleased and the price was small money. It's made of an impact resistant polymer. Not sure that I would want to take that into battle but the Magpul stuff is pretty rugged. If I was going all iron, I'd do the Troy stuff. The Magpul coupled with the ACOG seems a win for me.

For short money the Magpul sight seems OK. I have one on a upper I bought that had it attached. It serves its purpose and I haven't had any problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom