• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the best caliber / ammo for looters post-Florence?

Ack. we're planning to fill the tubs and all the five-gallon buckets we have, with water for the toilets. We also have a 21' round swimming pool, which if it doesn't get destroyed, will be another source of toilet water. we're on well & septic, not town water, so we're on our own. My generator's a portable one with no transfer switch, so if we lose power, we lose running water.
Good luck & best wishes Steve that it misses you and if not that you get through it okay.

My brother just bought a house in Sneads Ferry, moved down last month. So this is his first real hurricane. He's been on Penobscot Bay just catching the tail end remains of storms. I told him not to be one of those clowns that goes out on the beach looking for The Weather Channel crews and waving in the background.... Good thread, just texted him about the axe in the attic and bathtub of water ideas! He has our grandfathers 12 gauge and candles, batteries, etc, should be good

Ack. we're planning to fill the tubs and all the five-gallon buckets we have, with water for the toilets. We also have a 21' round swimming pool, which if it doesn't get destroyed, will be another source of toilet water. we're on well & septic, not town water, so we're on our own. My generator's a portable one with no transfer switch, so if we lose power, we lose running water.
Get yourself some 8awg 3 wire cable from Home Depot, install male connections at both ends. When the power goes out, shut off your main incoming power. Then plug in your generator to any wall outlet of your choice. You’ll be limited by that circuits amperage rating going through that single breaker into the panel. If you have 220v dryer then you could probably run half the house goin through that circuit to feed the panel. Just FYI

Is it too late to stock up on French toast supplies?

Obligatory:

Just put up a sign that says, “gun free zone”. Should be fine.

Reduce Reuse Recycle Dept.​

So your plan is to stack the looters as sandbags?
Sounds thrifty.

gran_torino_10_440_pxlw.jpg

That close to the coast it would be smart to bugout at least a couple hours inland. The latest I read said it will make landfall as a strong CAT4, you really don't want to ride that out at the coast.

I think your all set for looters however a stupid thing most people forget to stock up on is laundry detergent. Since you have a genny you’ll be able to wash clothing and without detergent on hand it’s not quite the same

Don't worry the local constabulary will be around to confiscate your arms. It's for safety you know.
That's right. We can't have people protecting and defending themselves from crime. Those looters need to make a living too ya know.;)

Don't worry the local constabulary will be around to confiscate your arms. It's for safety you know.

That is specifically prohibited in Kentucky.

KRS 237.104

Rights to acquire, carry, and use deadly weapons not to be impaired during disaster or emergency -- Seizure of deadly weapons during disaster or emergency prohibited -- Application of section.

(1) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, have the right to revoke, suspend, limit the use of, or otherwise impair the validity of the right of any person to purchase, transfer, loan, own, possess, carry, or use a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person.

(3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the taking of an item specified in subsection (1) or (2) of this section from a person who is:

(a) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040;
(b) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to federal law;
(c) Violating KRS 527.020;
(d) In possession of a stolen firearm;
(e) Using a firearm in the commission of a separate criminal offense; or
(f) Using a firearm or other weapon in the commission of an offense under KRS Chapter 150.
Effective: July 12, 2006
History: Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 240, sec. 7, effective July 12, 2006

That is specifically prohibited in Kentucky.

KRS 237.104

Rights to acquire, carry, and use deadly weapons not to be impaired during disaster or emergency -- Seizure of deadly weapons during disaster or emergency prohibited -- Application of section.

(1) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, have the right to revoke, suspend, limit the use of, or otherwise impair the validity of the right of any person to purchase, transfer, loan, own, possess, carry, or use a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

(2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person.

(3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the taking of an item specified in subsection (1) or (2) of this section from a person who is:

(a) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040;
(b) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to federal law;
(c) Violating KRS 527.020;
(d) In possession of a stolen firearm;
(e) Using a firearm in the commission of a separate criminal offense; or
(f) Using a firearm or other weapon in the commission of an offense under KRS Chapter 150.
Effective: July 12, 2006
History: Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 240, sec. 7, effective July 12, 2006
So you trust .gov then?

So you trust .gov then?

No, but it gives people recourse. Did you notice the date of enactment? 2006, right after all the Katrina bullshit. I would venture a bet that any LE taking a gun from someone around here in an emergency would be making a career ending move.

This is a whole different world here from anywhere in the northeast.

I assure you, my guns are not leaving my possession unless I'm shovelled out from under a pile of brass and dragged out in a bodybag first.

Check any loose items and potential debris during your last hours before the hit instead of worrying about guns. You're prob far enough away from the shore that nothing will happen, but leave a hatchet in the attic just in case.

Good luck! Once this storm passes you need to wire in a sub pannel to power off your generator. My furnace and well both cam be powered off the generator.

Get yourself some 8awg 3 wire cable from Home Depot, install male connections at both ends. When the power goes out, shut off your main incoming power. Then plug in your generator to any wall outlet of your choice. You’ll be limited by that circuits amperage rating going through that single breaker into the panel. If you have 220v dryer then you could probably run half the house goin through that circuit to feed the panel. Just FYI
Google "suicide cable" for more information

i'll reply to the thread title "what caliber.........etc"

answer: all you have, and hope you need none

Not that I’d expect anything, but house carry. It’s the bus you don’t see coming that hits you, as they say. Otherwise be ready for an extended power outage. Have a chain saw? 2 cycle oil to mix into fuel?

Be careful and good luck!

I have family that had to deal with Katrina, then I had to deal with almost all my inlaws and their dogs for 3 months, LOL. Katrina dumped a storm surge of 27.8 feet on Pass Christian, MS, and covered 20 miles of MS coast with surge from 24 to ~28 feet. Keep that in mind as you watch how this one develops.

Best of luck StevieP. If I were in your place, I would be planning to evacuate, but I am old and out of shape and probably would not do well trying to survive in a devastated area. Hopefully you'll get lucky and it will weaken and/or turn a bit more North and not be as destructive as the current predictions say.

Back
Top Bottom