• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the best caliber / ammo for looters post-Florence?

Ack. we're planning to fill the tubs and all the five-gallon buckets we have, with water for the toilets. We also have a 21' round swimming pool, which if it doesn't get destroyed, will be another source of toilet water. we're on well & septic, not town water, so we're on our own. My generator's a portable one with no transfer switch, so if we lose power, we lose running water.

Shut off the filter before the storm hits. It will save wear on the system from debris blowing into the pool.

Get yourself some 8awg 3 wire cable from Home Depot, install male connections at both ends. When the power goes out, shut off your main incoming power. Then plug in your generator to any wall outlet of your choice. You’ll be limited by that circuits amperage rating going through that single breaker into the panel. If you have 220v dryer then you could probably run half the house goin through that circuit to feed the panel. Just FYI

Too late now, but 8awg 4 wire from an exterior outlet (keeps CO out) to a 40 amp breaker in the box is more direct. A 220 dryer circuit is probably 30 amp which limits you a bit but should still run the well pump with a male to male cable. Neither is even close to electrical code and I am not an electrician so for legal purposes this is not advice. Code is a transfer switch installed by a professional.

Either way, for the weather you're expecting you may need to rig some kind of cover for your generator to protect it from the rain. Last thing you want is the generator shorting from water in the wrong place.

Good luck whatever happens.

Hey Dude,
The storm surge in your area may be 12-20 feet, you really should think hard, real quick. My ass is already here in 3 hours west of you, in Carthage and the flooding potential is off the charts from rainfall, and we just had a severe normal storm go by, dropped a couple inches. The grounds are soaked around N.C.!! This storm is going to be a tree clearing and cutting companies wet dream!!!!! Power out for 3-4 weeks, more in areas. Sustained 100-120 mph. winds are no fun, seriously!
Your on the north side of landfall also, good possibility and very probable based on latest maps and info. Storm surge is the strongest on the north side of the storm.
Call me paranoid, but my caliber is 5.56, 9mm and 10mm, but shooting and swimming suck for accuracy!

I would check out the usability of your red dot in heavy soaking relentless rain. I loved my EoTech until I had an event in heavy rain. The lenses got all wet, and I couldn't see squat.

Could you still see the dot?
Binocular vision. One eye on the dot, one eye on the target.

OK Carteret County calls for mandatory evacuations. We've battened down the hatches, brought everything in that's possible.

Boat and Harley are in the garage.

12' box trailer is loaded with guns, valuables, generator, fuel, tools, etc.

Coolers are ready for packing & we'll be out by noon tomprrow. Headed for the moutains in Blowing Rock for the duration.

Hoping I have a house to come back to

Getting 40-60 cents on the dollar if there is nothing left is better than not being around to get anything back. Nature sucks when it gets mad, but I don't want the wrath of Nature's fury either, its life. God bless, have the faith or just jump around in happy circles knowing everyone is safe. I'm really praying for you folks, and everyone else out your way and beyond! This is going to be a interesting next few days/weeks, etc!

OK Carteret County calls for mandatory evacuations. We've battened down the hatches, brought everything in that's possible.

Boat and Harley are in the garage.

12' box trailer is loaded with guns, valuables, generator, fuel, tools, etc.

Coolers are ready for packing & we'll be out by noon tomprrow. Headed for the moutains in Blowing Rock for the duration.

Hoping I have a house to come back to

Best of luck!

ETA: For when you get back in prep for the next time.
Scepter Water Cans | Scepter Military Water Cans for sale | Scepter Watre Cans for sale | Scepter Military Fuel Cans | Military Water Cans | MWC | (MWC) | Scepter 2.5 gallon water cans | Scepter 5 gallon water cans | Scepter 10 liter water cans | Scepter 20 liter water cans.

Last edited:
Did you at least have plywood to cover up? If not, and you can find any still in stock, maybe a last go before heading out? Just my .02

No plywood. We just got done making a bunch of repairs to siding, some sheathing, a few window sills, and a full paintjob.

Here's what we're leaving:

20180822_115521.jpg 20180817_161158.jpg

Ack. I'm able to get my boat in the garage, and have put all the generator fuel and a lot of other things up & in the boat, off the garage floor. [...]. So hopefully all the rain has a place to go that doesn't include flooding under my house.

If you have loose gas containers in the boat, 1) make sure they are well secured and can't leak even if flooded and 2) ventilate the boat before you start it (i.e., NOT in a closed garage!)

Best of luck to you! My b-i-l is in SC but about 50 miles inland.

R

If you’re going, leave now, by noon the road will be so jammed, that is where you’re staying for days.

I actually think my town of Morehead City won't have any looting. There are some "poorer, urban" towns like Kinston and Goldsboro where I think people might not be preparing as well to be self-sufficient, and might be more inclined to be scumbags....
The marines are a hop,skip, and a holler away.....just in case

My brother just bought a house in Sneads Ferry, moved down last month. So this is his first real hurricane. He's been on Penobscot Bay just catching the tail end remains of storms. I told him not to be one of those clowns that goes out on the beach looking for The Weather Channel crews and waving in the background.... Good thread, just texted him about the axe in the attic and bathtub of water ideas! He has our grandfathers 12 gauge and candles, batteries, etc, should be good

I don’t know if he’ll be good. My buddy lives in Snead’s Ferry. He’s considering moving his family to my house. He’s a half mile from the water and next to one of the numerous little creeks. I think his neighborhood is done for.

I’m about 10 miles inland and about 12 feet above sea level. Not much better. But I’ve got more guns than him, generator, boat if it gets that bad, and a full pantry.

We’ll see. I don’t think NC has seen a hurricane of this strength in recorded history. And certainly not since it’s gotten this built up.

I’m also getting myself used to the idea that my beach house is going to be a total loss. But it’s ok, because you fine tax payers are gonna buy me a brand spankin new one. And I’m gonna put it right in the same spot. Thanks in advance guys!

I don’t know if he’ll be good. My buddy lives in Snead’s Ferry. He’s considering moving his family to my house. He’s a half mile from the water and next to one of the numerous little creeks. I think his neighborhood is done for.

I’m about 10 miles inland and about 12 feet above sea level. Not much better. But I’ve got more guns than him, generator, boat if it gets that bad, and a full pantry.

We’ll see. I don’t think NC has seen a hurricane of this strength in recorded history. And certainly not since it’s gotten this built up.

I’m also getting myself used to the idea that my beach house is going to be a total loss. But it’s ok, because you fine tax payers are gonna buy me a brand spankin new one. And I’m gonna put it right in the same spot. Thanks in advance guys!

Called him last night, he said they found a shelter inland and moved a bunch of stuff upstairs. They still have a bunch of stuff in a storage facility but he thinks it's Inland enough. Welcome to NC !

Back
Top Bottom