• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the best caliber / ammo for looters post-Florence?

We're getting about as ready as we can be for Hurricane Florence here in coastal North Carolina. Please keep us in your thoughts as you see it come ashore. As you're watching the TV coverage, look for Morehead City, Atlantic Beach, and other towns on the southern end of the outer banks. I'm in MHC / Carteret County.

There's a barrier island and two-mile wide sound, then another half-mile of mainland between me and 'ocean'. I'm primarily concerned with wind and heavy rains.

Generator is full, plus six 5-gallon jugs, plus what's in the truck, suv, and boat. We have lots of food, water, propane, charcoal, etc. Candles. Flashlights. Tarps, rope, fresh chainsaw blade. sandbags. prescriptions are filled and we have good 1st aid kits.

Anyway... I'm thinking a dot-sighted (w/ BUIS) AR carbine with standard 5.56 'hunting' loads (spire point, etc.) would be a good standoff weapon and suitable ammo for any two-legged scavengers. I'll keep the .308 handy, as well as the 870 shotgun loaded with 00-buck, as well as the .357 and .45 handy if they breach the perimeter.
Scrap the 00 buck get some #1 buck if your shotgun is choked (modified is the best)

Back
Top Bottom