• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the best 1911 for carry?

I carry the S&W Pro 3". Fits me good and, it has been very reliable. I believe in practice, so I've fired hundreds of rounds through it with never a FTF or FTE. I shoot it in cold and hot conditions, again never one misfire. Having said that, no 1911 is light, and add 8 rounds of 45, it becomes heavy. Get a good belt (spend the $) and a good two clip holster regardless of which gun you choose.
I also carry this with no problems, but I think the commander size is probably the ideal size to carry. IMG_20140126_164050.jpg they are accurate 8 shots 21 feet.

I've owned many .45 autos over the years. Right now I have 10 and have come to a few conclusions. The military grip safety cuts the web of my hand. I prefer all steel, full size guns because they have less recoil and I shoot a lot. The 1911 isn't hard to conceal in an IWB holster. I prefer blued guns and leather holsters but that combination along with summer sweat leads to a lot of rust. Before you buy a 1911, shoot a few and see if the military grip safety bites you or not. Before you carry one, practice until depressing the grip safety and pushing off the thumb safety are done without thinking about it.

I also carry the S&W Pro 3". I haven't had a single problem with it yet and it's easily got 600+ rounds thru it.

Last edited:
I also carry the S&W Pro 3". I haven't had a single problem with it yet and it's easily got 600+ rounds thru it.

That's what I carry I love that little beast. The only issue I had with it was when I used crappy target ammo a few round would not go into battery properly . Other than that it's totallly reliable with carry ammo.

Another vote for the SW1911SC round butt 4.25" model. I had a 3" S&W 1911 and while it was a nice gun, like mentioned above it had some feeding issues with range ammo. I sold that and eventually moved up to the 4.25" round butt model and could not be happier. Barrel length doesn't make all that much of a difference compared to the 3" when carrying IWB, and the round butt grip helps a lot with printing.

I picked up a Remington 1911R1 Enhanced SS a couple of months ago and have been carrying it IWB. It took a little time to get used to the weight, otherwise I like it.
-mike

Are Sig Sauer 1911s MA-legal?
Sig is running an awesome promotion right now: Buy a .45 1911 and get a free .22lr 1911! Train with a .22, carry an .45.
If I were to pick a carry 1911 today, I'd pick a Compact C3. It's commander length with officer grip, a.k.a. CCO format. Best 1911 format to carry, IMHO.
The next best option is bobtail commander (e.g. Sig's Carry Nightmare which also qualifies for the promotion)

S&W 3" pro is a great gun. The 4.25" sc is also great but the brass tends to eject into the shooters forehead which pisses me off (I need to get that fixed).

The 4.25" sc is also great but the brass tends to eject into the shooters forehead which pisses me off (I need to get that fixed).
My 1911PD use to do that to me, I sent it back to S&W and they took care of it. I had it back in like 2 weeks, it's been fine ever since.

Are Sig Sauer 1911s MA-legal?
Sig is running an awesome promotion right now: Buy a .45 1911 and get a free .22lr 1911! Train with a .22, carry an .45.
If I were to pick a carry 1911 today, I'd pick a Compact C3. It's commander length with officer grip, a.k.a. CCO format. Best 1911 format to carry, IMHO.
The next best option is bobtail commander (e.g. Sig's Carry Nightmare which also qualifies for the promotion)

Some sigs are approved . The sig .22 I don't think is. The sig .22 is a rebranded gsg .22. I have the conversion kit.

My 1911PD use to do that to me, I sent it back to S&W and they took care of it. I had it back in like 2 weeks, it's been fine ever since.

I need to just send it back. They did tell me they would fix it. In fact I tried to drop it off today (they used to accept warranty work guns at the guard shack) but I was told they no longer take them in and it would have to be mailed.

I need to just send it back. They did tell me they would fix it. In fact I tried to drop it off today (they used to accept warranty work guns at the guard shack) but I was told they no longer take them in and it would have to be mailed.

Yeah they will only take a firearm now at the guard shack if you are a LEO and it is a duty gun.

Yes, and Yes

The shorter the barrel, the more felt recoil, if all other factors remain the same.

A well built 5", or 4.25" 1911 can be 100% reliable. The 3" models don't have enough barrel length for a proper recoil spring and guide rod, so reliable often suffers. YMMV

/thread

I have a compact 3inch 1911. And it boggles my mind why people shit on them. I got to have close to a 1000 rounds and i don't remember any malfunctions.
Its got some recoil. Sure. It's a compact 45, of course it does

It's also heavy. But definitely not unreliable

The barrel isn't the part that interferes with carrying , the grip is. So what's the point of a 3" 1911?

^This 100%! I'm always fascinated when these threads come up and people go to super short versions which can cause reliability issues over a full size regardless of what some say who happen to have good luck with theirs. It's basic physics, and the fact is that because of the design, these guns run more reliably with the full length recoil spring and slide. About the only possible advantage to running the shorter barrel for CCW is slightly less weight, but it is the the grip that is the main issue with concealing IWB so I would much rather just run either a full size Government (or even Commander) in something lighter like the Scandium frame, and just get a bobbed version to make it easier to conceal.

The grip on a 3" 1911 is a bit shorter than a standard fullsize or commander 1911, which (IMO) is the only advantage to carrying it. That being said, I MUCH prefer my 4.25" model with round butt compared to the 3" version I had.

It's also shorter in the grip

rara7u7y.jpg

The grip on a 3" 1911 is a bit shorter than a standard fullsize or commander 1911, which (IMO) is the only advantage to carrying it. That being said, I MUCH prefer my 4.25" model with round butt compared to the 3" version I had.

There are a number of 1911s that combine a 4 or 4 1/4" barrel with an officer's grip. Kimber Compact is one.

Have you ever heard length does not matter?

I have the 3" SW and the 4.25" rounded grip SW and a full size. All three have different grip lengths along with different barrel lengths. Grip length matters for comfort. Also barrel length matters. IWB at 5 o'clock the longer barrels are noticeable sitting in certain chairs and positions. Recoil I don't notice. I have big paws. I need to put oversize grips on a double stacks to give my second hand enough room on the grip so a 1911 is effectively one handed regardless. The recoil between a 5" and 3" I hardly notice a difference. I have no less than a 1000 rounds through the 3". No issues. I will note the box came with two extra recoil springs for the 3"...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are a number of 1911s that combine a 4 or 4 1/4" barrel with an officer's grip. Kimber Compact is one.

Yep, I wish more companies did. Best of both worlds. Shorter officer's grip would a round butt would be even better! Though not sure how it would feel in the hand.

Have you ever heard length does not matter?

I have the 3" SW and the 4.25" rounded grip SW and a full size. All three have different grip lengths along with different barrel lengths. Grip length matters for comfort. Also barrel length matters. IWB at 5 o'clock the longer barrels are noticeable sitting in certain chairs and positions. Recoil I don't notice. I have big paws. I need to put oversize grips on a double stacks to give my second hand enough room on the grip so a 1911 is effectively one handed regardless. The recoil between a 5" and 3" I hardly notice a difference. I have no less than a 1000 rounds through the 3". No issues. I will note the box came with two extra recoil springs for the 3"...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Full size and commander have the same length grip, unless it is a CCO setup like M1911 just mentioned. Officer has the shorter grip.

Back
Top Bottom