• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's a good caliber for bear?

Wow guys, you are moving much much faster than me this morning.

Ok, so .45 isn't going to cut it. I'm not going to be going out to throw rocks at bears to create an "incident", I just don't want to be caught high and borked while hunting for something smaller, or fishing.

Sounding like this is a good time to go full Dr. Strangegun (or How I stopped worrying, and learned to love recoil) and look at the S&W 500s. I figure with the kick on those I can get one for short money, and with a chest rig keep it out of the water while fishing.

Would a factory .500 load work well enough? (Wife might kill me if I buy a reloading rig as soon as we move.)

Now 10mm, that's something I know zero about, it's a little bigger than 9mm, right? [smile] A semi auto in 10mm would have enough ammunition to allow some missing in a bad situation, but is the 10mm going to be enough of a persuader?

I know this is planning for an edge case, but I like the idea of an "untracked" WA handgun. Now the mags (41 and 44) have higher speed, even though the bullet is of a smaller diameter than a .45, right?
People like the Glock in 10MM because you can load the gun with up to 17 rounds. The 10MM by itself isn’t enough to realistically kill a charging grizzly, but with 17 rounds, you’re chances are greatly improved over a .44Mag which only holds 6. That is the reason people go with the Glock.

I still stick with the 45
With a wad cutter it is the best I can do and still be accurate at 50 ft

Back
Top Bottom