• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What year did you start shooting?

I’m curious how half you guys are still walking around. I’ve been hunting with the same 20 gauge youth model Remington for f***ing 26 years and I still haven’t got a deer…

This year is shoot on sight I think I’m going to bring two guns. None of them will be black powder..

1966 @ camp 22 shorts. My dad gave me a 870 20 ga for Christmas in 69 we used to shoot skeet at a neighbors in their back yard, they owned Bob Smiths in Boston. My first reaction in basic when we went to the range was Im going to own one of these one day, thanks to NES that happened.

I think I know where that was, right across from a logging road that goes all the way to Whitefield. Up where the tracks split, it was called Quebec Junction. That's a 1,000 acre wood lot, I'm jealous. I hope to have 1/3rd that much, I'm at a 1/4 now including all of the family land. I wish you the best in Missouri, but for my own selfish reasons, I wish you'd move back to your home town. It's all about me. This is only the 3rd weekend this year I haven't gone up. I have a stand by generator up there, but a pull start one here that has a fridge and 4 sump pumps to run.
Can't have my safes filling up with water.
The RR tracks may be gone by now and now they may be using the RR bed as a logging Rd...it's been a few years since I was on Tank/Lennon/Dump road. Quebec Jct is up by Cherry pond, now called Pondicherry. Beautiful, wild area. My brother has a video he took of a black bear shinnying up a tree and pulling a couple of young herons out of a nest for lunch up near Cherry pond...crazy stuff.

1967. An Ithica .22 single shot that looked like a lever action. When you lowered the lever the top hinged down and you slid a cartridge down a shallow groove onto the chamber and then manually cocked the hammer. I still have it.

I’m curious how half you guys are still walking around. I’ve been hunting with the same 20 gauge youth model Remington for f***ing 26 years and I still haven’t got a deer…

This year is shoot on sight I think I’m going to bring two guns. None of them will be black powder..
You need to find another spot . [rofl]

Grandfathers 22 and pellet pistol around 1968, got my own BB gun in 1970. Area around my folks house started getting very developed around then, so shooting the 22 was over.

Cub scout troop used to go to the Smithfield Sportsmans Club for overnighters and shoot in the range, I started in 1970. Continued when I was in Boy Scouts- a number of our leaders were Korea vets.

First time was in the late 70s, a .22 in the neighbor's barn. But it was the early 80s before I got my first gun. Then a couple more. Then an avalanche. Then a few more scattered here and there. I'm planning on another avalanche somewhere along the line...

I guess my first BB gun was about 1970, I became fairly proficient. When I was ten, my Dad took his Marlin Bolt Action Tube Fed .22 down from above the Mantel. The kid next door was 13 and he had his own .22. He and his Dad had come over to shoot. We had a field out back and a steep hill to shoot into. We set up a bunch of cans. I learned to shoot my BB gun on my own. I never realized I was shooting leftie. My Dad yelling at me, " You're shooting backwards ". So I've got my right finger on the trigger and I'm craning my neck over the stock and lining up the sites with my left eye. Now he's yelling " That"s the wrong eye ". So I'm shooting with my right eye and hitting nothing. The other kid hitting 7 out of 10. After a few rounds, my Dad's telling the other Dad a joke, not paying attention to us. I said screw it, I switched to leftie. 10 out of 10. My Dad says " Finally, shit, you're shooting backwards again, oh the Hell with it ". I was hooked. I still shot my BB gun cause I could rarely get my Dad to let me shoot his rifle. By the time I was 14, I was 5'-10" and I found my Dad's FID card. I hopped on my ten speed and biked the 10 miles to Coleman's Sporting Goods in Danvers. I'd walk up to the back counter like a grown up, hand them my FID card and ride home with my 4 boxes of .22 LR. I'd grab the rifle when nobody was looking and put it back in the same fashion.
I had to dig around in my computer and found a picture of that Marlin.
I think this is Christmas 1971 which would make me 8 years old.

1629772141708.png

My first Gun was my Cap Gun. I think this is Christmas 1965.
My first Gun, my first Lion and my first Cardboard Play House.
How presumptuous of my parents not to consider I may be Cross Dominant.

1629772349123.png

1968 - Boy Scout Camp. I was 10.

“On my verbal command, you will stand up, pick up your brass, put it in the brass box, pick up a new target and run down to replace the one you shot full of holes. On your feet!”

Just 22lr bolt rifle, but we got to shoot our RO’s 45cap too. He shot smiley faces with that 1911 at 25yd just for sh*ts and grins. I still have one of his smiley face targets in my memorabilia box…

At 6yr old, in 1964, I slept on a Howdy-Doody rug with my 6-shooter cap guns and chaps at night. Those were reruns from before I was born!

Last edited:
1990. 22 cal single shot rifle in the back of my buddy's house in Harwich trying to hit squirrels. New Kids were playing on the radio. We didn't hit anything and after 5 or 10 shots gave up and biked to get ice cream at the East Harwich cinema.

Had a buddy with a dad that was a hunter. His kids (my buddy & his brother) had a BB-rifle target range set up in their backyard = lots of fun & good times.
Back then I had better than 20/20 vision and I'd out-shoot both of them.

We had dirt roads and a lot of woods & forest around where we all lived. Sometimes his dad, a few of his buddies, and us kids would take walks out there with a few bolt rifles and shotguns and do a little target shooting in the sand pits that were way back in the woods (we were allowed to participate with the proper safety oversight also going on).

That was in Billerica, MA .... a long, long time ago.

A number of people in the area did a lot of that backwoods target shooting.
Not a big deal. You'd find empty shotgun shells all over the place on those back woods walks.

Can you imagine doing any of that there now ?

1967. Most of my family lived in Montreal and my uncle was a avid hunter, so he first introduced me to firearms and showed me how to shoot when I was about 6yo.

1962 with a Daisy pump BB gun. Strangely I skipped the whole .22 phase and moved up to my first real gun in 1965. It was a “sporterized” surplus 7x57 Spanish Mauser from Sears. If I recall it cost $39.95 and my dad had to sign for it. Not a bad little rifle. Gave it to a friend when I moved to Italy for several years. He sold it before I moved back or I would probably have gotten it back from him and would still have it.

Back
Top Bottom