• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Will NH and ME Give me?

Hanwei

NES Member
I have a MA LTC Class A - Restrictions: Target&Hunting.

I've been thinking of getting the NH and ME non-res LTC's.

Now... because I have a Class A with Restrictions, will NH and ME automatically give me restricted licenses as well? Or will they give me an All Lawful Purposes license if I put "All Lawful Purposes" as my reason for the license?

Hanwei

I thought that almost all states don't require any kind of licensing to own any kind of gun you want. Its only a few commie states like MA, NY, CT, RI, IL, NJ that do. Everywhere else a CCW/LTC is actually a license to carry. Only in MA is a LTC not a license to carry anything.

As of 1/1/07 nh "WILL NOT" issue a handgun lic. for any reason, if your home state's lic has a restriction. I know beceause my aplication was returned to me with that explination on it.

As of 1/1/07 nh "WILL NOT" issue a handgun lic. for any reason, if your home state's lic has a restriction. I know beceause my aplication was returned to me with that explination on it.
They keep ping-ponging on this one so stay tuned - it may change again.

There is a clever workaround for the non-res. NH situation. All you need to do is get an unrestricted LTC from _any_ state, and send them a copy.

ME might be a very good choice for this.

Darius Arbabi

Darius..... Thats agreat idear, but if you've bean regected in NH. does ME, ask if you bean denied in any other state? & if so now do you face a double regection? when you come up for a Mas, renweal?????

Darius..... Thats agreat idear, but if you've bean regected in NH. does ME, ask if you bean denied in any other state? & if so now do you face a double regection? when you come up for a Mas, renweal?????

Is this a hypothetical, or have you actually applied in Maine?

If you are nervous about getting rejected in Maine, call the licensing authority there and have a chat with them _before_ you apply.

Keep in mind that each rejection is a reportable item on your MA LTC renewal and probably in other state's applications too.

[rofl]

ooohh... good to know... I'll have to get a ME liscense before I renew in NH next year... That's a PITA...

Perhaps a donation to the NH gun org with a letter explaining the situation is in order...

Last time this happened it was the result of a "personal opinion" by a single Trooper. He got reprimanded and reminded that NH law makes no such distinction and this was "fixed". If it is again "broken", contact with one of the three NH groups should get it "fixed" again within a very short time.

That is what you guys should do if you have actual PROOF that NH is indeed doing this in 2007! [If this is "old info", it was already corrected.]

"Date updated: May 5, 2007 @ 5:28 pm"

"NOTE: Effective 10/21/04, you must have a Permit to Carry from ANY state before New Hampshire will issue you a non-resident New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License. A Concealed Carry Permit with restrictions will be accepted by New Hampshire and they will issue you a non-resident License even with a Restricted Concealed Carry Permit."

This is from Packing.org a few minutes ago.
Bill

[frown]HEY...!!! don't break my balls. I was only trying to tell you what happened to me. I was working unlike some of you! Wow......... you try to help,& you get SHIT ON[frown]

I wasn't trying to break anybody's balls! The thread interested me because I have both of those licenses, and was concerned about re-newing the NH non-resident next time. So I looked up some information. It's on Packing's NH page and it looked pretty current, so I copied and pasted it here.
If my post sounded abrupt to anyone, that wasn't my intention. Most of it was a quotation.

Oops!
I just re-read the whole thread, and realized maybe you weren't talking only to me. Sorry I snapped back.

Last edited:
Jlock66 has a letter with a date of 01/01/07 and Packing's "note" on the issue is dated 10/21/04. Even though Packing's NH page shows an update of 05/05/07 I wouldn't trust it. The update could have been the correction of a spelling error.
Based on Jlock66's letter, it looks like things changed. Call NH and get a definitive answer. We all know that Packing isn't always correct.

Last time this happened it was the result of a "personal opinion" by a single Trooper. He got reprimanded and reminded that NH law makes no such distinction and this was "fixed". If it is again "broken", contact with one of the three NH groups should get it "fixed" again within a very short time.

That is what you guys should do if you have actual PROOF that NH is indeed doing this in 2007! [If this is "old info", it was already corrected.]

This did happen to me. I sent an application to NH for a NR license in May or June and got the application back, rejected, a couple weeks later because my MA LTC has a Target only restriction on it.

So, which group(s) should I contact to get this fixed?

(if anyone has a specific person to contact, could you PM me the details? Thanks!)

OK, I did part of the work for you . . . [rolleyes]

Got my NH renewal notice in the mail yesterday and had some questions so I took the opportunity to ask for you.

- Every renewal requires a copy of your MA (or other) LTC. If they see ANY RESTRICTIONS, they will NOT issue you a NH NR permit!

- If you have a NON-Restricted license from ANY STATE, they will accept that instead and issue you a NH NR permit!

The lady I spoke with told me that these are the orders from "upstairs" and she has no say in what the orders are (she's just a clerk).

Unless something changed very recently, the non-issuance on a restricted LTC is NOT per NH RSAs. They did this for a while and one of the NH gun orgs got this "corrected" (as it was the "opinion" of one individual in NH SP). The person who had this "fixed" before is a personal friend of mine and gave me the entire run-down on it a while ago.

Looks like someone may have "changed the rules" again and needs another "fixing". Problem is that my friend is currently dealing with some very serious health issues, so I'm not about to bug him about it.

That's why I suggested that those affected by this "rule" contact one or more of the NH orgs and get them to deal with it so that it is "fixed" for everyone.

Also be aware that NH Licensing is running WAY BEHIND (according to the lady I spoke with). You can expect that a renewal or new application is going to take MORE THAN ONE MONTH at this point.

The lady you spoke to was very nice and very helpful when I called her about 3 weeks ago with a question. My Ma license expires 5 days after my NH and I wanted to know if I should wait til I get the new MA license to renew with her or send in a copy of the about to expire one. She said the about to expire was still valid so it was ok.

I wish everyone in Ma was that nice.

When I got my NH NR 4 years ago, it took one week, door to door. This time I sent in my renewal and the Mrs sent in her first time app in the same envelope and it's been 3 weeks. It'll be interesting to see if they come back the same day.

I am guessing this all has something to do with all the crap that MA is giving NH on the guns that are (according to mumbles) flowing over the NH border in to MA. [rolleyes] I could be way off... but wouldn't be suprised.

if anyone knows about the procedure for ME, please post it...

I'd like to get both a ME and NH permit as I visit both states. And yes, just like the guys that stop at the borders and take off their helments... I would stop and take my Unloaded and Locked in the trunk handgun out and CC it just because I can. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom