• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What' the world coming to

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
I just saw a peace on Fox News on having your party guests sign a waver. Waving their right to sue the hosts if something happens to them at the party or because of their drinking at the party.

These are your friends! What kind of friend sues you! What does this say about the host who feels they need to protect themselves from their own friends. What does this say about a friend who would even think of suing.

Keep in mind that if the person who signed the waver causes harm or damages to someone who hasn't signed a waver, you still can be sued by that other person. So this isn't about protecting yourself from non-friends.

And suing your friend's insurance IS suing your friend. It's not free money, everyone pays. And it's not about medical bills. Insurance companies will pay reasonable medical bills if their client is responsible (a dog bite, home owners paid medical bills, no suet required).

I guess it should be off-topic.

It goes to the general downfall of social structure. People used to care whether they were a good, moral (not in a religious sense), and self reliant person. Now it seems like most just want to take. From insurance, the government, anyone. And somehow they justify this as what they deserve. Right and wrong, legal and illegal have become a matter of whether or not you get caught. This is BS

I know I'm ranting, but it just got to me this morning.

Not sure such a waiver would be enforceable.
Yup, the legal principle of assumption of risk is generally not recognized in Massachusetts, as it is in many states.

The public policy behind not recognizing such an assumption is that, in addition to occasionally functioning as an adhesion contract, signing waivers disincentives the hosting party from doing all they can to ensure they make their premises and activities are as safe as possible.

My friends all designate a driver as they are responsible adults.

I do however make them sign a waiver that if they get hammered and pass out that I may bang their wife in my hot tub.

I do however make them sign a waiver that if they get hammered and pass out that I may bang their wife in my hot tub.

Water really isn't a very good lubricant.
Bent over the hottub is a different matter.

Just sayin'.

I guess it should be off-topic.

It goes to the general downfall of social structure. People used to care whether they were a good, moral (not in a religious sense), and self reliant person. Now it seems like most just want to take. .

Why not in a religious sense ? what's wrong with being moral in a religious sense ? I don't want to be an ass here, but the fact that you put that term in parentheses is the very beginning of the problem where at the end, you get that report in FOX news you were talking about.

You can love religion, hate it, be for it, against it I don't care. Western Morality IS religion. Religion BROUGHT morality. Western Religion STOPPED human sacrifice and child sacrifice (long ago, when the Hebrews went into Israel). Look around you, all the morality you see is here BECAUSE of religion.

So now, with religion being diminished (not because it is false, because it serves the communists in the U.S just like the diminishing of religions served Lenin and Hitler), all of the sudden, people wonder "Oh, where is morality", Where ? It's going down the road, along with the religion everyone is so objecting to, because CNN and some funny shows on NBC told them to.

Last edited:
I dunno, if someone wants me to sign a waiver to go to their party then it might be one hell of a party! JK, if someone stuck a waiver in my face for a "regular" type of party I'd turn around and leave.

I need this.
I think we get crazier as we get older only because we have more money to do stupid things.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms is only the beginning of our New Years parties....add inner-tubes and four wheelers and your getting a little closer.

I may have to move to New Hampshire only because our New Years party is getting more and more illegal in Massachusetts every year.

Why not in a religious sense ? what's wrong with being moral in a religious sense ? I don't want to be an ass here, but the fact that you put that term in parentheses is the very beginning of the problem where at the end, you get that report in FOX news you were talking about.

You can love religion, hate it, be for it, against it I don't care. Western Morality IS religion. Religion BROUGHT morality. Western Religion STOPPED human sacrifice and child sacrifice (long ago, when the Hebrews went into Israel). Look around you, all the morality you see is here BECAUSE of religion.

So now, with religion being diminished (not because it is false, because it serves the communists in the U.S just like the diminishing of religions served Lenin and Hitler), all of the sudden, people wonder "Oh, where is morality", Where ? It's going down the road, along with the religion everyone is so objecting to, because CNN and some funny shows on NBC told them to.

Religion is not required for morality. If that's where you get it, fine. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. It's just not required and I'm not going to discriminate against anyone because of their religious beliefs, or lack of them.

I'm more spiritual than religious, but I do maintain a firm belief in God and I identify myself as being of a specific faith. I just don't require it of others and can judge a person on who that individual is and not what god or gods they worship.

Religion has been a positive influence but it has also been the cause of horrific acts of violence. The "Western Religion", odd to use that term since it was founded in the middle east, is no exception. Millions on non-Catholics have been killed in the name of the Catholic church, even other Christian. The Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and on have also killed in the name of religion. Morality comes from the person, a religious organization can be moral or not depending on the people that make it up.

I think if I went to a party (although I can't remember the last time I went to a real party) and they asked me to sign a waiver I'd probably politely decline and walk out. Not really the kind of party I'd want to be at. Guess I'd just have to wait a few more years for a party invite. [laugh]

Religion is not required for morality. If that's where you get it, fine. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. It's just not required and I'm not going to discriminate against anyone because of their religious beliefs, or lack of them.

I'm more spiritual than religious, but I do maintain a firm belief in God and I identify myself as being of a specific faith. I just don't require it of others and can judge a person on who that individual is and not what god or gods they worship.

Religion has been a positive influence but it has also been the cause of horrific acts of violence. The "Western Religion", odd to use that term since it was founded in the middle east, is no exception. Millions on non-Catholics have been killed in the name of the Catholic church, even other Christian. The Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and on have also killed in the name of religion. Morality comes from the person, a religious organization can be moral or not depending on the people that make it up.

Well said.

Simple. They get hurt, sue, insurance company pays off and you split the cash. Jack.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. But the statement kind of makes my point.

You shouldn't be suing to make a buck. Unless you're saying your friend did something wrong and is responsible for your injury, and you need to recover medical expenses after the insurance refused to pay. That's not how I treat my friends, sure wouldn't be a friend after suing them.

Of course doing this so you and your friend can make a buck and split money would be unlawful and immoral IMO.

BTW after you're done cheating the insurance company they will either cancel your friend's policy or jack up the rates. And the companies share info so he can't just go elsewhere.

That's a waver I can see handing out [grin]

I need this.
I think we get crazier as we get older only because we have more money to do stupid things.
Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms is only the beginning of our New Years parties....add inner-tubes and four wheelers and your getting a little closer.

I may have to move to New Hampshire only because our New Years party is getting more and more illegal in Massachusetts every year.

Put the firearms before the alcohol and I'm all in. Guns and booze don't mix well.

What is wrong with 'moral' in a religious sense? Some of the most unethical things that are happening to humanity ate justified by religious morality, some of the most amoral people and organizations define themselves at least partially through religion, the totalitarism of the major religions ist a common justification to persecute dissenters and force your morality on other people.

Western religious morality is based on greek philosophy and our modern morality (the part about human dignity and that stays out of other people's bedroms) and our freedoms and civil rights are based on the ideas of enlightment. They have been wrangled out of the bloody hands of religious leaders and kings.

If you have solid morals that are based on your religion and respect other people's believes, good for you. But the moment where you are trying to monopolize morality, you are alread of that track.

The litigation culture is out of control. I think it's partially just the cultural lack of responsibility. Our comes worth the nanny mentality: someone should have prevented me from getting harmed, someone needs to be blamed. Kind of a fetish religion...

It goes hand in hamd withe the input-oriented approach to law.
Btw, great book to read on this is 'The Rule of Nobody'

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. But the statement kind of makes my point.

You shouldn't be suing to make a buck. Unless you're saying your friend did something wrong and is responsible for your injury, and you need to recover medical expenses after the insurance refused to pay. That's not how I treat my friends, sure wouldn't be a friend after suing them.

Of course doing this so you and your friend can make a buck and split money would be unlawful and immoral IMO.

BTW after you're done cheating the insurance company they will either cancel your friend's policy or jack up the rates. And the companies share info so he can't just go elsewhere.
Me? Serious? Jack.

In all honesty, no big movement ever killed in the name of religion, they killed in the name of money and power. The fools who commit the dirty work, yes, they do so because they actually think they are helping their religion, but, exploitation of fools happens all the time, the last case was the cops being shot in NY. Saying religiosity is to blame for all deaths in history, is saying that the "human rights" movment is a murdering religion as well.

I don't think there is morality without religion. Period. Without the human beings knowing that there are consequences to his actions, he becomes a savage.
People do go on about "killings done in the name of.. ", but argument is, more people have been killed by Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao tse tung then probably ever before in history, what was the religion in their states ? oh yes, no religion. It is only in the absence of religions, when a non-savage, civilized person is able to perform such horrors.

BTW, I don't think that murders being done by much of the people in the middle east are because of Islam, no, they are just murdering savages, they will murder for any reason, Islam or whatever, but that belongs to a different subject.

It is a double standard, in my opinion, to be a member of western society, taunt against religion, and then wonder where did the morals go.
I am not a religious person in the sense of going to worship etc, but I do believe in God and do acknowledge the huge contribution of organized religion in creating that was established in the west.

Without Christianity, the society which we all appreciate could simply not exist.

Last edited:
In all honesty, no big movement ever killed in the name of religion, they killed in the name of money and power. The fools who commit the dirty work, yes, they do so because they actually think they are helping their religion, but, exploitation of fools happens all the time, the last case was the cops being shot in NY. Saying religiosity is to blame for all deaths in history, is saying that the "human rights" movment is a murdering religion as well.

I don't think there is morality without religion. Period. Without the human beings knowing that there are consequences to his actions, he becomes a savage.
People do go on about "killings done in the name of.. ", but argument is, more people have been killed by Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao tse tung then probably ever before in history, what was the religion in their states ? oh yes, no religion. It is only in the absence of religions, when a non-savage, civilized person is able to perform such horrors.

BTW, I don't think that murders being done by much of the people in the middle east are because of Islam, no, they are just murdering savages, they will murder for any reason, Islam or whatever, but that belongs to a different subject.

It is a double standard, in my opinion, to be a member of western society, taunt against religion, and then wonder where did the morals go.
I am not a religious person in the sense of going to worship etc, but I do believe in God and do acknowledge the huge contribution of organized religion in creating that was established in the west.

Without Christianity, the society which we all appreciate could simply not exist.

Just my opinion but I really think it's out of line to even imply that people who aren't religions, don't believe in God, are "savages". And to say that to be a good person, a moral person, you need to be religious is just BS. I don't believe in some ultimate judgement by God. By your reasoning that makes me a savage. Yet some how I've gone through life never having, never even wanting to, beat women, kill men, or general behave in a savage manner. I take pride in being a good person, and I don't need God to be this way. Maybe some people do need the fear of God's judgement to behave in an acceptable manner. I pity them because somewhere along the way they never learned that being good, moral, is just something you do. No reward or punishment necessary.

But to be clear, are you saying you need to be Christen to be moral, or would being a Hindu allow for a person to possibly be moral?

I assume you aren't saying all Christen are moral, I think it's clear we can rule that out. As we can with all other religions.

And please don't try to confuse everyone by going to extremes and adding things I didn't say. "Saying religiosity is to blame for all deaths in history"Not only didn't I say this, but this is just the kind of generalization used but anti-gun people. i.e. One gun is used in a bad way so they all must be bad.

No one is saying religion is to blame for all deaths. But it's equally ridiculous to say that people didn't kill in the name of religion. No one is denying that religion played a part in the world, all religions. But to say there is no morality without it is also ridiculous.

One last thought.
Since you say "Without Christianity, the society which we all appreciate could simply not exist."
Then you'd agree that Without Judaism, the society which we all appreciate could simple not exist. Right??

What is wrong with 'moral' in a religious sense? Some of the most unethical things that are happening to humanity ate justified by religious morality, some of the most amoral people and organizations define themselves at least partially through religion, the totalitarism of the major religions ist a common justification to persecute dissenters and force your morality on other people.

Western religious morality is based on greek philosophy and our modern morality (the part about human dignity and that stays out of other people's bedroms) and our freedoms and civil rights are based on the ideas of enlightment. They have been wrangled out of the bloody hands of religious leaders and kings.

If you have solid morals that are based on your religion and respect other people's believes, good for you. But the moment where you are trying to monopolize morality, you are alread of that track.

I agree. It's not "wrong" I just wanted to stay away from it being a purely religious thing....I did good, right? [laugh]

States with more lawsuits have more lawyers, and more lawyers brings more lawsuits. And no surprise, more lawyers (per capita) and there's more gun laws. It's the lawyers fault, let's send them all to Cuba [grin]

And my apologies, my family contributed two lawyers to this country, but I'm not one of them.

These are your friends! What kind of friend sues you!

I have been sued by family members. I am fully on board with everyone in the world signing a waiver holding me harmless should they become butthurt because they are a wee fairy, or slip and fall because they have drank too much of my single malt, or in the extreme because I kicked their ass after they started some **** with someone I care about.

Since that isn't going to happen, I have an umbrella policy in anticipation of being sued...again.

I have been sued by family members. I am fully on board with everyone in the world signing a waiver holding me harmless should they become butthurt because they are a wee fairy, or slip and fall because they have drank too much of my single malt, or in the extreme because I kicked their ass after they started some **** with someone I care about.

Since that isn't going to happen, I have an umbrella policy in anticipation of being sued...again.

One large lawsuit can wipe our your lifetime's work/earnings.

I drive, I ride, I own a home.
I have automobile insurance, motorcycle insurance, home-owners insurance, health-insurance through my employer and an umbrella insurance policy.

I've already seen lawyers up close and personal both in a criminal defense and in divorce court. I consider my insurance premiums money worth spending.

I watch people like a hawk when i have parties, usually my parties start early so by the end of the night people have stopped drinking and have sobered up

Back
Top Bottom