• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What serial number should I use?

What serial number should I use for a 9mm 2011oid build?

• Total voters
Yup, and several other pistol and revolver cartridges that use a 9mm bullet (.38 Super, .357 magnum, .38 special), but I was limiting it to the old definition of pistol (i.e. semi-auto vs revolver) cartridges that actually called themselves 9mm. If you look at all the (non-wildcat) handgun cartridges that use a nominal 9mm bullet (.354 to .364 inches) you actual end up with 31.

001110010110110101101101​

is 9mm in binary
You mean ASCII. A no-go because even stripping off the leading two 0's (bad form in an ASCII rep) leaves 22 characters out of a maximum allowable 13, but I suppose I could have gone 396D6D

9x19, it is much more specific than 9mm. There is only one 9x19. If I'm counting right, there are 15 9mm pistol cartridges:

9mm Winchester Magnum
9mm Largo
9mm Glisenti
9mm Browning Long
9×25mm Super Auto G
9×25mm Mauser
9×25mm Dillon
9×23mm Winchester
9×23mm Steyr
9×21mm Gyurza
9×21mm
9×19mm Parabellum (9mm Luger)
9×18mm Ultra
9×18mm Makarov
9x17mm (.380 Auto;.380 ACP)
You make a compelling argument, plus 9x19 is trending in the poll.

I already have 40SW build in fotay.

I like serial numbers that match the caliber of the gun - have 40SW, 38SUPER, 50BMG and maybe 45ACP (have to check the ordnance locker to see on that one).
I'm pretty sure that you do because you were the inspiration for this build many years ago.
20230403_214514.jpg 20230403_214536.jpg

😉😁

It was funny watching the clerk at the long defunct gun store trying to find the S/N on this when it was a bare frame to fill out the 4473.
He wouldn't believe me for a while.....

I have been considering having one built with a serial number of N0NE (that's a Zero to meet ATF numbering requirements), but I am concerned some ATF inspector looking over 4473's might not get it.
Do the alphabetics in lower case. "n0ne" would be an interesting take.

NSN

So, if I build a 2011 and get it engraved with 9mm or 9x19, we could have the same serial number in the FA10. Think about that.

NSN

So, if I build a 2011 and get it engraved with 9mm or 9x19, we could have the same serial number in the FA10. Think about that.
Not from the same manufacturer of the frame though. There are multiple cross-brand situations where the same serial number is on different vendor's guns.

NSN is a no-go since the ATF requires a digit in the number.

I got the frames .... turns out there is some subtle additional engraving not located near the serial number - "1B" and "2B" - probably so the factory knew to send them to me. So, this makes the issue "2B or not 2B, that is the question....."

Not from the same manufacturer of the frame though. There are multiple cross-brand situations where the same serial number is on different vendor's guns.

NSN is a no-go since the ATF requires a digit in the number.
NSN = no serial number. Meaning, don't use a serial number.

On my 1911 custom I incorporated my father# name and birthdate along with my father in laws name and birthdate. Both WW2 Vets and both men, the greatest influence in my life

Back
Top Bottom