What personal info does Wal-Mart take when you buy ammo at a Mass Location?

Don't blame it all on MA. The age requirements to purchase ammo from an FFL is a federal law (18 USC 44 § 922(b)(1)).

Yes, but it's worth noting that in the case of the NH walmarts it's a walmart policy to check for FID/LTC for people coming from MA. Walmart requires above and beyond what the law really wants. Not to mention, I've never, ever been "carded" in any non MA gun store while buying ammo. If one looks "of age" you simply won't get carded at a normal gun store.

-Mike

I was actually at a Wal-Mart this past weekend and the clerk was training a newbie.

She showed him how to unlock the case, where the keys are kept and told him to check to make sure the buyer has either an FID or LTC, "When you get that just make sure its them and its not expired." I handed it to the trainee who looked at it looked at me and said "looks like him" and the other clerk said, "Well give it back to him then."

This was in MA of course. In NH the answer would have been, "License? I ain't got no license. I don't need no stinkin license."

I could be wrong but Sam Walton isn't part of the vast left wing conspiracy yet.

Last edited:
That's funny. Mostly because a guy from Georgia knows how much it sucks to be a gun owner in MA.
I have an related question.

You moved to Virginia, but hang around a Northeast forum just to bag on Massachusetts? Wouldn't it be a more productive use of your life to just move on? Are you really that traumatized? Would counseling help?

I've never been asked anything, but one time a snot nosed kid told me I needed an FID, not a Class A, whatever that is.

Went thru that at N Attleboro. Handed the kid a NR LTC A and he had no idea what to do. Called over his buddy who called over another clerk and after another discussion says I needed a FID card. I finally asked them to call the Manager who said it's OK. Takes less time to rob a bank then buy ammo!

I give Mike a call, tell him what I want, he tells me when he'll have it, I walk in, hand over the green backs, and go on my way. Every once in a while he'll actually look at the LTC I always have out ready.

OK, that's the way it CAN work. I usually have to stop and ogle some hardware he has hanging around and then wipe the drool off my chin before I wish him a nice day and head out.

Danvers - they just look at my LTC.

Plaistow NH - they wanted my MA LTC and drivers license for handgun ammo

When I went to Plaistow I showed the guy running the ammo counter my LTC... that was enough. If they asked for both, I would be like.. WTF?

-Mike

Went thru that at N Attleboro. Handed the kid a NR LTC A and he had no idea what to do. Called over his buddy who called over another clerk and after another discussion says I needed a FID card. I finally asked them to call the Manager who said it's OK. Takes less time to rob a bank then buy ammo!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought out of state residents were prohibited from buying ammo in MA period. Does an NR LTC negate this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought out of state residents were prohibited from buying ammo in MA period. Does an NR LTC negate this?

They are (via the Simons Rock BS) but it wouldn't surprise me if some dealer didn't know the law, especially a walmart. [laugh]

-Mike

I never had a problem anytime I bought ammo in mass being at Wallyworld, Dicks or at a gun show. As long as a NR has a LTC it's OK I was told.

You were told incorrectly. But, if it works for you . . . [wink]

The Simons Rock law made it unlawful for any MA FFL/ammo dealer to sell NRs (even with NR LTC) ANY ammo or firearms of any type. There is an exception for sales of ammo at a range, but no ammo can leave the range (signs on doors at S&W Shooting Center are for compliance with this law).

A few years ago I got the guy at the Hudson NH WM all in a tizzy. He asks for FID and I show him my NH Permit (with MA address). So he again asks for MA FID/LTC and I insist that my NH Permit is adequate. He asks . . . don't you have a MA permit, to which I respond "yes", so he asks "why don't you show me that?" and I responded that it was because I was attempting to buy ammo in NH not MA! [laugh] [devil]

He wasn't a kid and was someone I had dealt with before. He finally gave it up. [rofl] [The mere fact that you are buying ammo in NH does NOT mean that the ammo will ever "cross the border" into MA. A concept that WMs near the MA border can't quite grasp. Apparently they "never got the memo" that there are places to shoot in Southern NH and no requirement to be a NH Resident to do so. [wink]]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom