What personal info does Wal-Mart take when you buy ammo at a Mass Location?

None. They just check your FID/LTC, ask the "handgun or rifle" question, and you're out the door. Of course, if you use a credit card they may be collecting purchase information based on that and selling it, but if they're doing that they're likely doing it for any purchase you make.

They look at your FID/LTC and verify that it is yours and that it's not expired. They may ask if the ammo is for a handgun because you need to be over 21 if it is. They don't retain any info.

ditto, I get nailed at Hudson and Salem for ID. Before last year I never got asked for ID.

It isn't age in my case. I am 50 and if some clerk can't figure out I am older than his Dad, there is something wrong.

They are 100% looking for MA residents making sure they follow company policy, because there is no law I know of that requires them to ask a old fat gray man for an ID to buy ammo in NH

Last edited:
In NH I always get ID'd because of you silly MA people needing all kinds of paperwork :p.
Huh? What does MA have to do with it? How old are you?

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

A lot of the stores in NH border towns tend to ID people more frequently than others, because they're 'helpfully' enforcing MA laws over the border by making sure MA residents buying ammo have the appropriate MA license.
Sounds like their choice to me. I've never been ID'd at any of them, but then again, they are quite certain I'm over 21.

In Georgia you had to fill out a log with your personal information, but they didn't ask for ID, just passed you the logbook.[rolleyes]

In Georgia you had to fill out a log with your personal information, but they didn't ask for ID, just passed you the logbook.[rolleyes]

Last time I was at a gun counter in Georgia, the man behind it made me want to cry. He simply asked me if I wanted to see any of the (cheap and large selection of) handguns. I told him I was from MA, and he gave me a sympathetic knowing look before turning to help another customer [crying].

in CT we just hand them a little "In God We Trust" and head out

I bought ammo at Cabelas in CT earlier this year and that's all I had to do. They didn't ask for any sort of ID. Same thing at KTP, just give them the money or credit card and out the door.

Last time I was at a gun counter in Georgia, the man behind it made me want to cry. He simply asked me if I wanted to see any of the (cheap and large selection of) handguns. I told him I was from MA, and he gave me a sympathetic knowing look before turning to help another customer [crying].

That's funny. Mostly because a guy from Georgia knows how much it sucks to be a gun owner in MA.

There are a lot of really cheap handguns down here. Hi-Point guns are super cheap. Can get a .45 ACP for around $160. Yes, $160. I have to do some research to see how reliable/functional they are, but for that price I could buy a new one each year and throw it away if it stops functioning.

Baystatesuks said:
Hi-Point guns are super cheap. [...] I have to do some research to see how reliable/functional they are

I'm not sure I'd trust my life to a semiauto with a sub $200 list price, but I've heard some folks swear by them. Most agree they're big, clunky, and ugly but there seems to be a lot of fighting about whether they're reliable or not.

I'm not sure I'd trust my life to a semiauto with a sub $200 list price, but I've heard some folks swear by them. Most agree they're big, clunky, and ugly but there seems to be a lot of fighting about whether they're reliable or not.

I would only get them for plinking - keep the Walther, S&W or Beretta for personal protection. I figure for $160 even if it sucks, I am not out a lot of money for a .45 ACP plinker.

I would only get them for plinking - keep the Walther, S&W or Beretta for personal protection. I figure for $160 even if it sucks, I am not out a lot of money for a .45 ACP plinker.

Agreed, for that kind of money I could see buying one just to have it part of the collection. At least then when newbies ask me, "So, do you have, like, a gangsta gun?" I could answer in the affirmative [laugh]

Agreed, for that kind of money I could see buying one just to have it part of the collection. At least then when newbies ask me, "So, do you have, like, a gangsta gun?" I could answer in the affirmative [laugh]

Particularly if you get one of the 9mm or .40 carbines. Those look pretty cool even if they don't shoot well. The only downside to all Hi-Point guns is no high cap mags. Not sure why?

OK, thanks all. I have not bought ammo at Wal-mart in the last 20 years, because back then they had a log book. So I guess its not too bad then. I thought maybe it got worse and they were still logging personal data that any employee could get a hold of.

When I was in a Bass Pro store in Maryland I bought a Remington collectable bulk pack of .22lr and asked the guy at the resgister if he needed to see my license. He looked at me like I had 3 heads and said "What for?"

I showed him my MA LTC and said "So I can buy this"

He looked at me and shook his head and said "All you gotta do is be over 18" and mumbled something and asked what do they do to us in Massachusetts?[sad2]

Back to the OP, I have never been asked for anything beyond a LTC or FID at Walmarts in Wareham, Fairhaven, Dartmouth or Plymouth, when paying cash. Pay by check, and alot of ???? appear.

Pay cash and safe and happy shooting.[cheers]

They are checking for FID/LTC like other people have said, I only get ID'd in southern NH Wal-Marts and they have specifically told me they have to make sure I'm not from MA and if I am I have to have my FID.

What if you're only planning on hunting in NH though? Not everyone bothers to hunt or shoot in MA. The Wallyworlds in Concord, Tilton, and Gilford never id me...except for the occassional cigar I buy.

Back
Top Bottom