• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Is this? And How should I Make It Whole? A Dagger Review.

fshalor

NES Member
So, a Family Item has been passed down to a generation. Discovered in ~ 1950 in a major city demolition project, it was a naked dagger blade in a pile of rubish without a handle.

Some time in the 50-70's a handle was added to it in a basement shop. It was sharpened, maybe once.

As of 2021, I pulled it out of a leather sheath it's sat in for the last 20 years, with no treatmenant, and it was not bad. I was able to do a little feathersticking with it to see how the edge was.

Took the handle off to investigate the nature of the carnage. I think the cross guard is fake/added by someone in the 50's (or earlier). Original blade has no markings.

Is this worth trying to fashion a handle for? G10 scales, something simple off-the-shelf?

The steal sticking out of the end of the stub is solidi to the blade, the handguard.crossguard thing is different metal/make and is loose.

Blade has ZERO flex doing simple point-into-wood drill tests.

I'm thinking it's worth a weekenend fashoining a moden handle and adapting it, even if some small welding is needed on the stub of the tang. Maybe even shorten the blade slightly from the end to make the adaptation work properly and look good. The goal would be for something complete to stick in the safe as part of history. Not a working tool.

Thoughts?
I'm hoping to not touch the blade, other than refreshing the edge and polishing at all. The fake guard should probably go.

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_122314242.jpg
    IMG_20211028_122314242.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DGGR-1956.zip
    12.4 MB · Views: 21
Can’t view your second pic. Are there any stamped or engraved markings on the blade at all?

Ah. drat. darn windows VM... Uploaded a zip of the folder, instead of the images. 0 Marks on the blade. At all. Though I suspect ther may be something under that cross guard. (It is loose. )

IMG_20211028_120225107.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_120230105.jpg
    IMG_20211028_120230105.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20211028_120235525.jpg
    IMG_20211028_120235525.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 21
What you see was how it came out of the sheath after 20 years, with a little 3-1 oil and a paper towel wipe. Struck a corner off a stone, and it feels like a good steel.

I'd take all that existing stuff straight off. It looks like crap, IMO.

If it's worth rehandling properly, I've had great success with Behring in Montana. They've done a couple of Randalls for me. Stellar work, done the right way, but it'll cost you a couple hundred or so.

Regardless, do something. That current hilt and handle are a travesty.

With the little acorn "detail" on the crossguard...
it screams for Stag! And, a nice nickel plating on it.

1635466736992.png

Thanks @Picton I think that may be my play. A "couple hundred" to do this seems worth it for the family. As that's pretty much the price to get a good knife these days anyway.

Will chill for a few, and maybe consider cutting off that "guard" thingy, and doing a deeper explore.

For me, I'm a full tang or bust sort of work knife person. (or a folder with good lockup.) Not sure what the mid-zone brings to the table.

Having done this while batoning this week; i'm twitchy even with full tang. (Gerber... couldn't baton two pieces of firewood. Crappy Kbar cut managed that piece plus 20 more after and is still sharp. )

Fwiw, I was very gentle with that thing. Couldn't hold an edge to save its life, but felt good in the hand. I've been rougher to my Spyderco folders.
IMG_20211028_202342018.jpg

Yeah, the contact there is [email protected]. You'll be dealing with a guy named Grant, who's awesome. Send them some pics, tell him the story, give them your price range, and they'll take good care of you.

I'd take all that existing stuff straight off. It looks like crap, IMO.

If it's worth rehandling properly, I've had great success with Behring in Montana. They've done a couple of Randalls for me. Stellar work, done the right way, but it'll cost you a couple hundred or so.

Regardless, do something. That current hilt and handle are a travesty.
They have been contacted. ;)

One of those "eh, if I can just send it to them and get something which can be a thing" it may be worth it. Also looking at how to actually make a real grip for a knife.

Handle is gonezo, but carefully scoping out how to dremel off that horrible guard, which was obviously made by hand by.... probably honestly one of my long-past uncles if I am reading this right. I think I may be able to just yank if off, if I clearance the holes which have already been double shot through the body.

They have been contacted. ;)

One of those "eh, if I can just send it to them and get something which can be a thing" it may be worth it. Also looking at how to actually make a real grip for a knife.

Handle is gonezo, but carefully scoping out how to dremel off that horrible guard, which was obviously made by hand by.... probably honestly one of my long-past uncles if I am reading this right. I think I may be able to just yank if off, if I clearance the holes which have already been double shot through the body.
If you’re going to send it off to those guys for a handle I’d just let them take care of all of it, carefully, and they can probably tell you more about the whole package while they’re working on it. IE blade steel, age, decoration/wall hanger (junk) or an actual working antique blade that could be worth a lot of money to collectors.

Back
Top Bottom