• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I hate E-Bay Randall knife weasels (Enbloc would approve of this rant)

E-bay scammer
Vintage Randall Orlando FL Stag Knife 5” Case 75 - Picture 8 of 8
Right my Randall 4-6" Hunter Randall 4-6 hunter.jpeg

E-Bay ad was placed as new/unused all skillfully photographed to hide the damage, After I sent him a picture of mine he responded with this lame damage cover up. E-bay has made it impossible to report these deceptive practices.....I emailed the seller and told him I was reporting him to E-bay, selected Misrepresenting an item I get 3 menu dropdown that leaves me with no way of reporting fraud...Bid is at $510 with 30 minutes...No I didn't bid

Without commenting on that specific knife, there were certain periods where the dies weren’t struck perfectly, or where they got dull. They’ve also changed the stamp over the years.

Plenty of older genuine Randalls have marks that don’t look exactly like modern ones.

E-bay scammer
Vintage Randall Orlando FL Stag Knife 5” Case 75 - Picture 8 of 8
Right my Randall 4-6" HunterView attachment 742995

E-Bay ad was placed as new/unused all skillfully photographed to hide the damage, After I sent him a picture of mine he responded with this lame damage cover up. E-bay has made it impossible to report these deceptive practices.....I emailed the seller and told him I was reporting him to E-bay, selected Misrepresenting an item I get 3 menu dropdown that leaves me with no way of reporting fraud...Bid is at $510 with 30 minutes...No I didn't bid
That seems to be a rampant problem on Fleabay. I bag a lot of birds during the season and was looking for a dedicated "bird and trout" knife to speed up the cleaning process. I like the old Westerns made in Colorado, wanted to get a vintage Black Beauty in pristine shape, and was willing to pay the premium for condition. I actually did buy an Ebay knife listed as original & pristine but discovered like this Randall, it had been subject to some heavy-handed restoration that was not evident in the pics. No issues returning but it was PITA and the description was total BS. Left feedback accordingly.

I've written off ebay mostly, and amazon 3rd party sellers, unless they are a legit business that uses the platform for e-sales and not some dude with a ups store box hawking stuff from Alibaba.
There really is no other place for stuff like this though so its tough.
There are good sellers on there...

I found a guy in Texas on ebay who had a tiny spring for my Blackhawk 1/4" ratchet. He was selling related vintage tool parts so I took a chance and PMd him and he had it.
Did a quick buy it now listing for like .05 and he sent it to me for free for the + feedback.
Definitely would hit that guy up again.
Worst items- new car parts and electronics.

sometimes ebay is shady, especially when it comes to high dollar items and their commission. i saw it in action last year when i sold an expensive fountain pen pushing $2k. one day i misplaced the company marked converter and wanted to halt the auction. it was sold with 2 days left on the listing. ebay wanted me to replace it with another converter...any one that fit, sell it, and call it a day. hey wait, now my 2 grand pen that someone has already tossed a winning bid on is not original as it said in the listing. in the end i did find the original but i think they practice some strange business sense.

There is such thing as knock-off Randalls even with the same stamps as the legit one's, it was a bit of controversy about it on the BF forum.

Even years ago I stayed away from Ebay for Randalls. Authorized Randall dealers is who I do business with. Never a purchase disappointment and you know you will be getting the real deal and not a Chinese or Pakistan made copy.

Back
Top Bottom