• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Randall Made Still Top Tier?

Mass-diver

NES Member
I’ve been toying with ordering a Randall made knife from Nordic. Apparently you put $40 and then they tell you the wait (typically around 10months). Like AG Russell, they charge a premium versus ordering directly from Randall and waiting years.

I’m curious what the experts think of these knives (I’m eyeing a #16 diver), are they still worth the money and the wait versus something from other premium makers?

Thanks!

I've owned several Randalls, including (once upon a time) a #16. Three of them I ordered from the factory, the rest I bought at retail.

They are amazing knives. Are they "better than" other premium makers? It's hard for me to answer that, because it's partly a matter of personal preference and because, in my case, I already owned and used Randalls. So... why would I ever bother buying other makers' knives?

The only other high-end maker I'd buy from other than Randall is Behring. I like their knives as well (they are less expensive, faster, and offer more options), but the knives I plan to take if SHTF are all Randalls. They are also heirlooms I've purchased for my children, and I can't think of any other maker important enough to do that with.

Ruana, maybe?

Thanks for the great reply. And, yeah, I’m at the point where I start to think about stuff in terms of handing it down to my children.

I have a winkler tomahawk that might fit that bill I guess, but the Randall’s just seem like they are on a different level.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great reply. And, yeah, I’m at the point where I start to think about stuff in terms of handing it down to my children.

I have a winkler tomahawk that might fit that bill I guess, but the Randall’s just seem like they are on a different level.

Thanks again!

Try to handle a couple. You might find that some fit your hand better than others. I thought I'd like the #16 as a beater, but I never really bonded with it; I like their classic handle or their Border Patrol handle much better than the one with the finger grooves. But YMMV.

I should also point out that a LOT of folks who buy Randalls never dream of using them. I can't understand that way of thinking, but it would probably change my decisionmaking process if I was just buying for show.

KTP has a nice little selection of Randall knives in stock for you to handle if you feel like making the trip. Whenever I'm up there I always look at them with lust in my eye. It usually requires a trip to the mens room for relief before I head home. Good luck with your quest, you're worth it.

They are really beautiful knives.
I have hundreds of dives on my #16.
I also have a Fireman special.
Last one I ordered from Gary Clinton.
He does Custom orders at current catalog prices.
Wait time was 10 months IIRC.
I didn’t pay till it was ready to ship.
[email protected]
83C5E965-211C-499E-9442-295B4959DC49.jpeg

Randalls have always been my favorites. Bought and sold many over the years. Got this one a few years ago from Wayne Buxton, 14 with the bells and whistles. Defiantly a keeper.

Attachments

• Attack.jpeg
    Attack.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 22
Randalls have always been my favorites. Bought and sold many over the years. Got this one a few years ago from Wayne Buxton, 14 with the bells and whistles. Defiantly a keeper.
I’m a sucker for a black leather sheath. So much so I sent my 16 back to the shop to have one made for it.

What was the first Randall that you owned. Mine was a standard model 14 from Randall dealer Doug Kenefeck in the early 1980s. Later I was a member of The Randall Knife Society, I still have a number of the society's newsletters.

What was the first Randall that you owned. Mine was a standard model 14 from Randall dealer Doug Kenefeck in the early 1980s. Later I was a member of The Randall Knife Society, I still have a number of the society's newsletters.

Just a Model 1. I gifted it to a friend of mine later when he went off to the Sandbox.

Back
Top Bottom