What is the one item needed for prep plans that nobody has thought of...

I recently remembered that even if gas stations are closed, there is probably residual gas/diesel in the underground tanks, so I added 20 ft of tubing and a small hand pump to my kit. (I already had bolt cutters)

Quick question. I've seen tankers replenishing in-ground fuel tanks at gas stations through the ground. Are those covers locked down? I imagine they must be secured in some way to prevent someone from rolling up at night and dropping a hose down the pipe.

Last edited:
A dental kit, I'm not talking tooth brushes I'm talking stuff to remove teeth if you get a bad enough cavity and infection you'll be incapacitated the easier to remove the tooth and clear an infection the better. Along with maybe some very strong orajel or cloves/ menthol stuff to numb before and after removal painkillers would be better but unmanaged infected teeth can do some serious damage.

Temporary fillings, in case you break a tooth and a dentist can not be found

A dental kit, I'm not talking tooth brushes I'm talking stuff to remove teeth if you get a bad enough cavity and infection you'll be incapacitated the easier to remove the tooth and clear an infection the better. Along with maybe some very strong orajel or cloves/ menthol stuff to numb before and after removal painkillers would be better but unmanaged infected teeth can do some serious damage.

OK, call me silly, but I'd probably pack a couple tubes of toothpaste, some brushes, and floss first.

- - - Updated - - -

Temporary fillings, in case you break a tooth and a dentist can not be found

OK, call me silly, but I'd probably pack a couple tubes of toothpaste, some brushes, and floss first.

Quick question. I've seen tankers replenishing in-ground fuel tanks at gas stations through the ground. Are those covers locked down? I imagine they must be secured in some way to prevent someone from rolling up at night and dropping a hose down the pipe.

i worked at a gas station a few years ago as a pump jockey and there was not a damn thing that kept someone from pulling the cover and lid off the tank where i used to work. unfortunately the place is no longer a gas station but the tanks are still in the ground. theres probably still enough gas in the tanks to make it posible. its in the back of my mind for sure. would need a strong pump and small hose to make enough suction to pull gas up from 20 ft down though.

Potassium iodide and gas masks?

This.

i worked at a gas station a few years ago as a pump jockey and there was not a damn thing that kept someone from pulling the cover and lid off the tank where i used to work. unfortunately the place is no longer a gas station but the tanks are still in the ground. theres probably still enough gas in the tanks to make it posible. its in the back of my mind for sure. would need a strong pump and small hose to make enough suction to pull gas up from 20 ft down though.

and this! Gas station I worked at didn't lock the caps either, although they could be locked. Often deliveries would come in the middle of the night. The tanks are deep enough I think you'd have a hard time sucking it out. I used to have to "stick" measure the tank as a backup to the auto readers. That stick was like 18 ft. long. The best pumps can't suck more than 25 ft of head (which is what she said)

bleach can actually be used to purify water as well. i wish i could remember the source/ratio of bleach to water, but it will kill the bacteria and not harm the body.

found it, heres a link with chart/calculator: http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oemergencypurifycalc.html

it also mentions using coffee filters as a screen for filtering before attempting to purify, def puts coffee filters on my list of stuff to add to the simple supply box

Last edited:
I think you should have a book of information on how to build steam engines, old crank phones, items that were used in the early days of the industrial revolution. That way once you are settled in you can start to rebuild to try and get some sort of normality.

I think you should have a book of information on how to build steam engines, old crank phones, items that were used in the early days of the industrial revolution. That way once you are settled in you can start to rebuild to try and get some sort of normality.
This. Basic skills: weaving, knitting, wood working, candle making, canning/preserving, hunting/fishing... All the things you may need to survive and rebuild AFTER the supplies are exhausted (and there's no mini-mart and microwave)

Back
Top Bottom