• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the one item needed for prep plans that nobody has thought of...

lock pick gun(Manual Lock Pick Gun). if your car is down for the count would be good to get another...and get into places bolt cutters cant (sorry if its been said...haven't read it all)

Last edited:
Do coffee filters work for that? We have a couple of strainer funnels ut I also have a couple of those gold metal coffee filters I was planning to use, if the need arose.

Other than extremely slow rate of flow, yes coffee filters will work. Coffee filters are designed to really slow down the flow of water, to give the water more time to brew the coffee, but they make excellent filters if you're willing to wait. If you have the time, I'd use a metal reusable coffee filter over cheese cloth. Cheese cloth is as likely to add fiberous containiments to the fuel as it is to remove particulate.

orajel, and a small bottle of eye wash/contact solution. i know i get really irritated/ aggrivated with a bad canker sore and or if i have something in my eye that i cant get out on my own.

I recently remembered that even if gas stations are closed, there is probably residual gas/diesel in the underground tanks, so I added 20 ft of tubing and a small hand pump to my kit. (I already had bolt cutters))
Not sure you could pull it up with a small hand pump.

But a buddy worked at a station years ago and used a Whiffle ball bat with the top removed and a rock in the bottom, on a string, to the same purpose.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested aluminum foil.

It's already on most of our heads [rofl]

Diapers. Good for the kids and are nice bandages in a pinch (I actually used one on a woman that slashed her whole leg getting on a bus at Disney in the rain last year. Soaked things up good as it took the EMTs 15min to show up).

Last edited:
Not sure you could pull it up with a small hand pump.

But a buddy worked at a station years ago and used a Whiffle ball bat with the top removed and a rock in the bottom, on a string, to the same purpose.

You can put a foot valve or a check valve on the end of the tube. A half decent brass one will weigh the tube to the bottom. Best to have a screen on the inlet side too. You don't want the crap in the bottom...

Might need a water separator filter too...

Winter windshield washer fluid and an ice scraper. Bad things happen this time of year, too, ya know.

Potassium permanganate and glycerine (keep them apart until you need to use them). Small amount of the pot perm and a few drops of glycerine (antifreeze can be substituted) and you have a no-work fire starter. Also going into my GHB/BOB will be pre-mixed thermite in very strong containers (2L bottle pre-forms), along with some magnesium ribbon. Never know when you'll need to get through a lock, and you might not have bolt cutters (for whatever reason). Added bonus to pot perm is its use in water decontamination and as an antiseptic/disinfectant.

Chop sticks. Use for food or tweezers. Individual sticks can be used for snares or traps for catching critters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom