What is the deal with not accepting personal checks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before this thread gets locked because certain people disagree with the premise, I would hope that all of you who have been given bad checks by NES members with LTCs would post their screen names here as a public service so we will all be warned.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the list since there are apparently so many of them.

Why? Do not like? Do not buy. There is no legal nor moral obligation for someone to accept a check.

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard someone say in a gun shop if an FFL accepts a check for a gun and the check bounces or is bad they have to go through the same protocol as a stolen gun

is this true?

I do not know if this is strictly true per BATFE rules, a FFL would have to respond to that question.

But what do you call it when you take goods w/o paying for them? I would say that it is certainly within the realm of declaring it theft of a firearm which is a felony and if the dealer is being stiffed it is a federal crime.

I really HAVE had someone with an LTC bounce a check on me. Then I had to chase him down to get a second check. That bounced too. Then I had to chase him down again to get cash. It took a couple months plus a lot of aggravation to actually get paid by the SOB.

I'm sorry if that is hard for you to understand, but that happened to me. There really are jerks around, even ones with LTCs.

See above. I wouldn't play games. Either the person meets me and makes good immediately or I go the legal route and in this case it is to file theft of firearm charges and notify his PD. He'll loose his LTC and guns in a NY Second for starters and I doubt that even a DB wants to face that.

I've had a few bounced checks (computer sales and constable services) and in those cases the person made good immediately.

I've had one client stop payment on a check and only because he was a loose cannon who I wouldn't put it past him to shoot up my house (this was for computer services), I just ate it and moved on.

On the other hand in the early days of this forum, I bought a few guns from people who advertised "cash only" and asked them if they would consider a check and they said yes. These days, I just bring the cash.

If one deals with a decent bank (mostly translated as "credit union" or perhaps a local/town bank if any still exist) they shouldn't be charging you fees or make you leave a DNA sample to deposit a check. I use a small, local credit union so you aren't likely to find a branch in your town to cash it at, but if you do the most that they will ask of you is some sort of ID.

I do understand the reluctance of people taking checks however, at least if they don't have a long and good itrader history. We do get a lot of people who join up and their only posts are in the for sale section, so nobody has a feel for who they are.

I might accept a personal check from someone that I knew well, but not from ThugLyfeGunzzz68.

Idk dude, he's got like 90 positives on iTrader. Seems legit.

He rolls up in this:
chances.jpg

I'm the **** outta there.

The only people who try to pay with a check in my store (not a gun store) are people I would never take a check from in a million years. I'm sorry if you use them, but in my experience checks are the currency of scumbags and old ladies.

I would take a check from somebody I know personally, but most people I know wouldn't use one to pay for anything. They're a pain to use for payment, and they're even worse to receive as payment (anything that requires me going to the bank sucks).

News Shooter said:
Before this thread gets locked because certain people disagree with the premise, I would hope that all of you who have been given bad checks by NES members with LTCs would post their screen names here as a public service so we will all be warned.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the list since there are apparently so many of them.

I never said he was an NES member. I said he had an LTC.

These are the responses I expected, sadly

So what's the vetting process for an NES Green member? Not banned and paid $21. We have people burying gold here in NH - nobody burying IOUs. I make jugement calls on when to relax cash or USPS MO rules, but it's easier to relax strict rules than tighten a "check or IOU" policy. Sh*t happens to well-meaning people, I just don't intend to have to bear the cost of said sh*t. Bought my gun with cash and now the kids can't eat? Sell the gun cheap. Don't bounce a check to feed the kids after you have my gun.

OK - you, I'd cut some slack. But not some guy with a dozen posts from East Bumf*ck. Tee martoonies in myself, so don't take offense [smile]

I once paid for some chow at a 7-11 with a $20 and the clerk held the change up and asked to "borrow" it until tomorrow. It was in Baltimore, behind plexiglass, so I had to call the manager to get my change back. Like they say, In God We Trust, All Other Pay Cash. No doubt this was quoted prior...

Last edited:
cash is king. I wouldn't trust an unknown to give me a valid check. How difficult is it to stop by your bank/atm?

+1

If you can write a check for the amount...you can show up with cash....why do I have to do your banking for you?

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard someone say in a gun shop if an FFL accepts a check for a gun and the check bounces or is bad they have to go through the same protocol as a stolen gun

is this true?

I really do not think this is correct. It is my understanding and my experience that generally speaking, a bounced check is considered to be a good faith error. And then it can take months/ years to go through the legal process until any sort of judgement is reached. And then, only after all of that time and process of legal action will there be any attempt made by the courts to come to some sort or arrangement to make the seller whole. Even then, there is always a sob story and some sort of "payment plan" involved. So, regardless as if the seller is ever made whole they lose a ton of money and effort on collecting.

It should be that check bouncers are treated as thieves, but more often than not it just does not work that way ime..

I don't know many that have worked in retail that have any interest in taking checks after seeing the horrors that the owners go through.

Not bashing the OP, but I would never think of offering to pay for a gun, or anything else, by check. The only checks I write are to pay bills though the mail or to send birthday cards to nieces and nephews.

I make it a point to pay cash for all guns and ammo (as well as Guns & Ammo).

I would accept a check from somebody I know, but not from a stranger with a LTC. Like others have said, too many scumbags in this world, and they don't all look like scumbags.

Again, I know this is wasted band width.

I've read all the posts about the "scumbags" out there who bounce checks and everybody's got an example. I'm NOT talking about convenience stores, I'm talking about NES members with an LTC.

Now, instead of moving the topic off topic again, is ANYONE going to provide an example by name of anyone here (NES with an LTC) who has deliberately bounced a check and be willing to NAME that person?

If you can't do so (and you won't) then please shut your pie holes.

I've had nothing but positive and honest experiences with people here.

Come on...let's see the evidence....not your stupid opinions so you can mouth off.

I just don't get why you are so upset over this. Would you let it stop you from buying a gun with cash if the seller wouldn't accept your check?

I'll shut my pie hole now.

None of you get the point. My point was that for whatever reason I wasn't able to get to the bank because I worked or my ATM wouldn't allow more than a $500 withdrawal per day and YOU wanted to conduct the transaction immediately, why would you NOT accept a check for me except that you are a paranoid moron? This has nothing to do with what the buyer prefers doing.

The only halfway legitimate excuse for cash I've heard here is to hide it "from the wife." My experience with macho gun owners is that most of them are totally P-whipped.

I can give you a lot more examples of that than you can of anyone on NES bouncing a check.

Again, I know this is wasted band width.

I've read all the posts about the "scumbags" out there who bounce checks and everybody's got an example. I'm NOT talking about convenience stores, I'm talking about NES members with an LTC.

Now, instead of moving the topic off topic again, is ANYONE going to provide an example by name of anyone here (NES with an LTC) who has deliberately bounced a check and be willing to NAME that person?

If you can't do so (and you won't) then please shut your pie holes.

I've had nothing but positive and honest experiences with people here.

Come on...let's see the evidence....not your stupid opinions so you can mouth off.

Bad day at the office?

4.There is (potentially) no record of "income" from the sale. But I am sure EVERYBODY declares all of these sales as income on their taxes, right??
If I'm selling something on NES, it's usually at cost or taking a loss. Can I declare that as a deduction on my income tax?
[rofl]

I'm a former guitar gear junkie. I've bought and sold more guitars, amps, effects pedals than I could count over the years. Mainly, I've bought and sold on craigslist, but I've done a ton of online transactions, too.

Here the deal: When you've done enough transactions you come to the realization that a good number of people who try to make a deal with you are indeed flakey. People will promise to buy stuff, but beg you to hold it for a few days. Then they blow you off. People will insist they want to buy what you have for what you've asked, then when you meet in person they insist on chewing you down a few bucks. People contact you where you're at, and expect you to deliver to them at the cost of a tank of gas. In short, people are terrible when it comes to buying and selling.

Having done hundreds of transactions over the years, I've learned I will never, ever, ever, take a check from someone. Especially when it's so easy to hit an ATM at any hour of the day or night.

Let's face it, whether it's guitars or guns it's all just a luxury. If you can't pull the cash out of your account, you probably shouldn't be buying it.

Full disclosure: this a first martini rant

Every time I go onto the classifieds I see these stupid comments about not taking personal checks. Who do you people think you are ...some inner city liquor store???

If you can't accept a check from someone with a MA LTC then who CAN you accept one from??? What kind of idiot would risk the hard earned and difficult to get LTC for a crummy $400 bounced check?

The whole "Cash only" think is unnecessary and more of a hardship for the buyer.

For the record, I'm happy to accept personal checks from anyone with an LTC.

Now, if I only had something to sell.

Rant over at 15:34

I am someone who dosen't take checks. [laugh]

Who do you think you are?

LOL trolling for an argument...this shit is so 2002.

Posted from my busted old G2 on T-mobile's sorry network.

If I'm selling something on NES, it's usually at cost or taking a loss. Can I declare that as a deduction on my income tax?
[rofl]

This is right along the lines of declaring your gambling losses on your taxes. Tell them about the losses and they WILL start looking for at least some winnings.

Basically it's a trick question and a trap.

LOL trolling for an argument...this shit is so 2002.

Posted from my busted old G2 on T-mobile's sorry network.

Not at all. Just trying to point out how easy it is to get stupid comments from stupid people.
Not one post here has addressed my challenge. Just like liberals. You can't do it because you have no facts, no information and no reason to back up your stupid comments. It's all emotion.

Last time....If you have a specific example of an NES member with a LTC who has written a bad check and not made it good...then POST his name here or STFU!!

Morons...you're bus is leaving!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom