• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is the deal with not accepting personal checks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full disclosure: this a first martini rant

Every time I go onto the classifieds I see these stupid comments about not taking personal checks. Who do you people think you are ...some inner city liquor store???

If you can't accept a check from someone with a MA LTC then who CAN you accept one from??? What kind of idiot would risk the hard earned and difficult to get LTC for a crummy $400 bounced check?

The whole "Cash only" think is unnecessary and more of a hardship for the buyer.

For the record, I'm happy to accept personal checks from anyone with an LTC.

Now, if I only had something to sell.

Rant over at 15:34

Last edited:
Not to mention the fact that most banks would rather pay a bounced check and charge you tons in fees than return it

Every time I go onto the classifieds I see these stupid comments about not taking personal checks. Who do you people think you are ...some inner city liquor store???

If you can't accept a check from someone with a MA LTC then who CAN you accept one from??? What kind of idiot would risk the hard learned and difficult to get LTC for a crummy $400 bounced check?

The whole "Cash only" think is unnecessary and more of a hardship for the buyer.

I'm trying to find out what the problem is here.

Don't buy anything from them.

Done.

Why is the comment stupid? Shouldn't a seller be able to dictate the terms under which they do business? Do you go into cash only restauraunts and get upset because they don't take plastic? [laugh] (there still are a few
of these around).

That aside, I can see why some people ask for cash. There are trust issues, and theres also logistics problems in terms of turning the check into real money, right now. If I am trying to move a gun or something because I needed the money yesterday, I am going to want cash because all a check does is add burden for me, the seller. So there's two sides to every coin.

-Mike

OK, I'll accept that. Then say in the ad: "I prefer cash because I have to pay my bookie tonight for today's Pats loss."

That should do it

I'm trying to find out what the problem is here.

Don't buy anything from them.

Done.

That aside, I can see why some people ask for cash. There are trust issues, and theres also logistics problems in terms of turning the check into real money, right now. If I am trying to move a gun or something because I needed the money yesterday, I am going to want cash because all a check does is add burden for me, the seller. So there's two sides to every coin.

-Mike

Oops, I made this check out for $5,000 instead of $500. Just wire me back 4,250 and keep the extra $250 for your troubles.

Sincerely,
The heir to the kingdom of Nigeria

Do you go into cash only restauraunts and get upset because they don't take plastic? [laugh] (there still are a few

-Mike

DERAIL ANNOUNCEMENT:

I will specifically go get cash if I'm going somewhere that doesn't take cards, but I WILL NOT eat somewhere that charges me a fee for being a customer of theirs to use my card.

If you can't accept a check from someone with a MA LTC then who CAN you accept one from??? What kind of idiot would risk the hard earned and difficult to get LTC for a crummy $400 bounced check?

I've had people bounce checks on me, then give me a replacement check that bounced as well. And yes, he had an LTC.

I don't see any hardship for the buyer. Stop by the bank and get some cash. BFD.

I ask for cash only when I sell something because that way nobody ever knows <cough> wifey <cough> That I came into a little money. This is money I already got bitched at for spending, so just because I sold the previously contested item, I should not have to get the eye rolling when I use the proceeds to buy another new toy. Its kind of like avoidig the inheritance tax.

Full disclosure: My wife is awesome and does not "bitch" at me for spending money, but I do get the eye roll when I come home with a new knife or some fishing lures. She is the mother of my child, the love of my life, as beautiful still as the day I met her and she also sometimes reads my NES posts.

So I should take a check from someone that can't come up with $400 in cash. Bring a check... you can take home a picture of the gun, come back when it clears

These are the responses I expected, sadly

I really HAVE had someone with an LTC bounce a check on me. Then I had to chase him down to get a second check. That bounced too. Then I had to chase him down again to get cash. It took a couple months plus a lot of aggravation to actually get paid by the SOB.

I'm sorry if that is hard for you to understand, but that happened to me. There really are jerks around, even ones with LTCs.

What you feel is a hardship for the buyer, I look at as a hardship for the seller. Your mongrel bank will probably want to charge me $5 to cash the check if I can even find a branch. If cash is a problem for you, maybe you shouldn't be buying in the first place.

For Internet deals where I ship a firearm, I have taken checks and I just wait for them to clear before shipping. For face to face, I want cash. If you can't shake it out of your piggy bank, don't even bother to reply.

I'd be shocked to see someone accept a check. There's too many a**holes in the world to take that chance. If I knew you, I'd take a check but not from "a guy on the forum".

I'm not a dealer. I'm not selling items on the Classifieds to make a living. I'm selling them to get a little cash because I'm short or to raise the funds to buy something else. I don't need to spend extra time depositing someone's check, waiting for it to clear, worrying it won't, etc. To say nothing of the PITA of a bounced check.

However, I would be willing to take a credit card as long as the buyer is willing to pay the 2.75% fee.

Before this thread gets locked because certain people disagree with the premise, I would hope that all of you who have been given bad checks by NES members with LTCs would post their screen names here as a public service so we will all be warned.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the list since there are apparently so many of them.

I ask for cash only when I sell something because that way nobody ever knows <cough> wifey <cough> That I came into a little money. This is money I already got bitched at for spending, so just because I sold the previously contested item, I should not have to get the eye rolling when I use the proceeds to buy another new toy. Its kind of like avoidig the inheritance tax.

Full disclosure: My wife is awesome and does not "bitch" at me for spending money, but I do get the eye roll when I come home with a new knife or some fishing lures. She is the mother of my child, the love of my life, as beautiful still as the day I met her and she also sometimes reads my NES posts.

Nice cover! Glad my wife does not read these threads-I would be doomed!

This is the exact reason I use cash

I like the feeling of using a big stack of cash to buy guns. It makes the transaction feel seedy. I also prefer the seller to bring it/them in a suitcase.

So I should take a check from someone that can't come up with $400 in cash. Bring a check... you can take home a picture of the gun, come back when it clears

Sorry,OP, but I'm in this camp, too. Not too hard to get $x out of the bank for a deal, and everyone likes greenbacks. Out here, when selling bike and household stuff I have to specify American cash only, no Canadian monopoly money allowed.

It's a free market, I'm OK with you not buying anything I have for sale if the terms don't meet your needs.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

1. They can't do a stop payment on cash

2. if they get a case of buyer's remorse or their GF/ Wife starts looking at the books..

3. You never have to question if there is sufficient funds or a closed account.

4.There is (potentially) no record of "income" from the sale. But I am sure EVERYBODY declares all of these sales as income on their taxes, right??

5. never have to file a claim/ suit to recover money, and spend money to do it.

6. Oh Crap, it bounced?? Wow. Oh Gee, did I write you a check out of THAT account? I was in a rush to meet up with you and I must have taken the wrong check! Silly Me! Sorry, I will mail a check right out from the right account. What? You didn't get the replacement check? I sent it the day after we talked. Ok, Let me put a stop on that check. As soon as the bank confirms, I will get a replacement replacement out. Oh you got the check? Great! What? I forgot to sign it? OH drat! send That check back to me and I'll get another right out. You know, just before I send out this replacement check, there was a guy on the boards that is selling this same thing for X% less. Can you match that price? No, well then can I just return this to you? Ok, well, here's the thing, I know it's been a month now. But something has come up, got in an accident/ GF is sick, and had to divert funds to pay for that emergency. Can you take half?

Once you have cash money, the deal is OVER!

Last edited:
No problem, no need to apologize. I'm obviously in the minority on this topic.

Sorry,OP, but I'm in this camp, too. Not too hard to get $x out of the bank for a deal, and everyone likes greenbacks. Out here, when selling bike and household stuff I have to specify American cash only, no Canadian monopoly money allowed.

It's a free market, I'm OK with you not buying anything I have for sale if the terms don't meet your needs.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom