What is a Scout scope, decent quality, not too expensive?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm looking for a scout scope to put onto an M1 carbine, and possibly Garand.

I had a cheap scope from NcStar, which actually had an excellent bright image, and worked great, but after just a small number of rounds on the carbine, some lens broke loose inside.

Does anyone have experience to recommend a reasonably priced scout-style (long eye relief) scope
that can stand up to actually being used on a rifle in .30 carbine or 30-06? Also, any recommendations on quick release scope rings? \\thanks

The scope that came as a part of my Jeff Cooper Steyr Scout package is a Leupold M8 2.5X32mm extended eye-relief scope. I have fired many rounds of .308 with it and never had any shift in zero or any other problems. It has a duplex reticle and I have used it to great effect hunting deer, hogs and caribou. I have it mounted in a set of Warne quick-disconnect rings---all steel and very reliable. As with most things gun related, you get what you pay for. You seem to have already learned that lesson with the NcStar experience. Do yourself a favor and buy the best you can afford. You will have the pleasure of using reliable equipment and none of the regret of having to shop once again for the thing you really wanted in the first place.

Leupold M8 2.5X32mm extended eye-relief scope

I have the same scope. I share Buck's praise for it.

And for:
As with most things gun related, you get what you pay for. Do yourself a favor and buy the best you can afford. You will have the pleasure of using reliable equipment and none of the regret of having to shop once again for the thing you really wanted in the first place.

Mine is on a Savage with about 750 rounds through it. No broken crosswires or shift in zero.

P5010026-1-1.jpg

The scope sits in Leupold QRW (Quick Release Weaver Style) rings.

345532.jpg

I've also got the scope on one of these with Talley standard rings. QD rings are available too. This combo has about 1000 rounds (albeit .22 LR) through it with no issues.

scout1022top.jpg

Leupold, American-owned and -operated! If any Leupold Golden Ring product is found to have a defect in material or workmanship, they will repair or replace it.

Free.

Even if you're not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom