What have you seen lately?

Someone from Taunton on teh Taunton FB page had 3 bucks battling. One was a 4. The "smaller" big was a 6 or 8. The bigger one - CLEARLY bigger in all aspects, was 8 or 10. I've seen one antlered deer in 30 years in this town. One. Damn.

I have a couple of coyotes that show up in my driveway every night.... my driveway is apparently a coyote highway between the power lines and conservation land in back of us in NH

We saw one whole loon all year. My middle daughter was at the cabin this weekend with two friends from PA. One LOVES loons and never sees them. "Yeah, they aren't around. . . wait. There's one!" LOL

She saw it 3x in 2 days.

Someone from Taunton on teh Taunton FB page had 3 bucks battling. One was a 4. The "smaller" big was a 6 or 8. The bigger one - CLEARLY bigger in all aspects, was 8 or 10. I've seen one antlered deer in 30 years in this town. One. Damn.

Got this on the trail cam in taunton .

Attachments

• IMG20231017153423.jpg
    IMG20231017153423.jpg
    926.3 KB · Views: 15
Almost caught a doe this morning. Something brown was bounding down the mountainside, and I managed to stomp on the brakes just in time to watch her clear the road and then a guardrail. There was a vehicle parked on the side of the road just around the bend from there.

Was heading home from an appt at around 7:45 last night. Neighbor put out his trash too early. We heard coyotes around dinner time. I come down the street and see one zip across at teh curve. Think nothing of it.

This AM driving to work - his trash is strewn around his driveway. LOL. Oops!

"Hello, Deer."

I rode up to this one at Rockhouse this morning. The trail actually loops around to the right, and at first we were practically nose-to-nose... proving once again the worse I smell, the easier I can ride up to them. Gear - gloves, helmet, armor - hasn't been washed at all this year, and the RUSH12 Pack-O-Wonder not at all, so Stinky the Mountainbikasaurus. 🦨 [wave] [smile]

Spent another 2.5 days up at camp. First half day I had a doe zip off the game trail and almost land in my lap. After waiting on a chasing buck that never materialized, I headed out of the swamp for higher ground. Ended up jumping a big one out of a ditch. Couldn’t see the head unfortunately. Had to have been a buck.

Nothing Thursday.

Today I work my way into some pockets I haven’t kicked up. Found out there’s some mighty big moose in here as well. My rifle is in there to give you a sense of height.

IMG_7881.jpeg

"Hello, Deer."

I rode up to this one at Rockhouse this morning. The trail actually loops around to the right, and at first we were practically nose-to-nose... proving once again the worse I smell, the easier I can ride up to them. Gear - gloves, helmet, armor - hasn't been washed at all this year, and the RUSH12 Pack-O-Wonder not at all, so Stinky the Mountainbikasaurus. 🦨 [wave] [smile]

I was listening to some hunters on a podcast talk about how urine is just effective. Doe, Buck, wolf, chinchilla, human. It didn't matter. Human urine at the base of your stand actually did not deter deer and brought them in for a closer inspection. Very odd. I wonder what we "know" about how deer use scent is something we really don't know.

I was listening to some hunters on a podcast talk about how urine is just effective. Doe, Buck, wolf, chinchilla, human. It didn't matter. Human urine at the base of your stand actually did not deter deer and brought them in for a closer inspection. Very odd. I wonder what we "know" about how deer use scent is something we really don't know.
Many, most, medications are excreted in your urine so something to keep in mind.

I remember years ago some hunters would use their wife’s used sanitary products as a deer lure. Hormones are hormones I guess.

Many, most, medications are excreted in your urine so something to keep in mind.

I remember years ago some hunters would use their wife’s used sanitary products as a deer lure. Hormones are hormones I guess.
I have to think they (especially in places that are hunted) associate smells that are "wrong" - perfumes, cigarettes, medications maybe, ... - with humans.

Meanwhile, I smell like

Stink.png

so they just shrug.

I have to think they (especially in places that are hunted) associate smells that are "wrong" - perfumes, cigarettes, medications maybe, ... - with humans.

Meanwhile, I smell like

View attachment 817141

so they just shrug.

They know that a stinkasaurus will only kill their nostrils and make their eyes water.

Back
Top Bottom