What have you seen lately?

They know that a stinkasaurus will only kill their nostrils and make their eyes water.
What's funny: while the deer don't seem to care, the BEARS do. The times I've ridden up to bears, if I stink like bikasaurus they

5BR3yT.gif

nope the hell right out of there. The times they haven't I was decent-smelling in clean (if not brand new) gear.

Stinky keeps the bears away! And the humans, which is a feature, not a bug. 🦨 [smile]

Got in my stand on Monday morning and Just pulled up my bow and pack. Getting settled and I hear leaves rustling. I freeze and look up to watch a nice buck headed straight for my dripper. I’m not close to ready so I hide behind the tree and knock an arrow and slide on my release. Buck stops, grunts and then takes a right turn into the woods. I watch him mount a doe, get kicked off, mount again, get kicked off and then chase her back and forth for the next two hours. By this time I’m freezing since I hike in light. Decide to put my jacket on and while doing so spooked another nice buck coming in from opposite direction at just over 30 yards. The other couple never came back out of the thicket at 64 yards. No shots but damn it was exciting.
First time hearing a buck grunt.
First time seeing a buck chasing a doe.
First time seeing a buck mounting (unsuccessfully) a doe.
Great morning.

Many, most, medications are excreted in your urine so something to keep in mind.

I remember years ago some hunters would use their wife’s used sanitary products as a deer lure. Hormones are hormones I guess.

What's a medication????? (Honestly - been very lucky that the "worst" I'm on is a fish oil and Vitamin D capsule every day. Voluntarily.)

Got in my stand on Monday morning and Just pulled up my bow and pack. Getting settled and I hear leaves rustling. I freeze and look up to watch a nice buck headed straight for my dripper. I’m not close to ready so I hide behind the tree and knock an arrow and slide on my release. Buck stops, grunts and then takes a right turn into the woods. I watch him mount a doe, get kicked off, mount again, get kicked off and then chase her back and forth for the next two hours. By this time I’m freezing since I hike in light. Decide to put my jacket on and while doing so spooked another nice buck coming in from opposite direction at just over 30 yards. The other couple never came back out of the thicket at 64 yards. No shots but damn it was exciting.
First time hearing a buck grunt.
First time seeing a buck chasing a doe.
First time seeing a buck mounting (unsuccessfully) a doe.
Great morning.
Have you ever seen a BUCK guarding a fawn?

Does guarding fawns? Sure - you see it all the time. But a BUCK?

It was a couple-three summers back, late July or August IIRC. I had taken a really early ride over at Rockhouse, early enough I rode under lights (which is technically a no-no, but sunrise was fast approaching and I wanted to exercise the Serfas light rig, and I know the LM and figured I could rely on his understanding if it became an issue). The encounter happened long enough into the ride the lights were off. I was coming up a hill on a couple of S curves when there in the trail in front of me was a buck. Probably eight-pointer. I stop, and ask him nicely to please take a step or two off trail so I could go by. The answer: NO. "Oh, come on - just a couple steps and I can go by and be out of your hair." Nope. Remembering I had the light rig, I put it on flash. Now he was just getting annoyed, and I'm starting to get a little concerned since he was a good size with those pointy things on his head. Finally I see motion on the backside of the curve behind him: a young fawn - still spotted - heading up the trail. "Oh. Okay." So I just hung out there for another minute or so. The fawn continued up trail before disappearing into the side yard of a house next door, and the buck followed after.

We've seen, now, a total of TWO bucks in 30 years in our back yard. Last one was. . . . a decade ago in September. This one was a BIIIG one sauntering after a doe.

IMG_BE7B7293640A-1.jpeg

Zoom in from a cell phone pic from my son. Either a 6 or 8. I didn't see it. He and hte wife watched it for 5 min before thinking to TELL ME ABOUT IT! Ugh. LOL

Wife comes out. "There's a buck outside." "Where?" "It just went over the ridge." ????? Like it was going to come back for an encore or something if we clapped loud enough. LOL

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRP_-SJQBjg

Meanwhile, here in the Constipation State... a nicely-sized herd of deer at Rockhouse between Moose Hill and Peach Farm Roads on my ride this morning. No photos, cuz I was dealing with a minor mechanical at the time, and they took off before I could get the phone out.

Retrieving two trail cams yesterday on public land in CT and pretty much stepped on a doe bedding! She couldn't have been more than 20 feet away. When she got up from under a bush is when I noticed her. About a 45 second staring contest then she cautiously walked off.

Today out for a walk and these showed up. Not a screen shot that's been enlarged, it was taken with my phone about two feet away.

20231206_150945.jpg

Same spot along the MA pike where I've been seeing deer grazing, I counted at least 8 of them out there this afternoon.

ETA. In looking up this location, it's near the Bear Hole Watershed in West Springfield. Hunting is prohibited there (but you're encouraged to trample all over the place in your crocs). And it seems the DCR contributed tax dollars towards a conservation restriction in this area. That's just wonderful.

nodeer.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom