• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you recommend for best all-around pistol?

I'm new to shooting and looking to make my first purchase of a firearm. I want to purchase a best overall firearm that I can use for general shooting applications as well as something that does well in competition. Any suggestions as to what to try and at what calibers?
JMJ

Depending on where you live there are a lot of great guns. If you are looking for an all around gun for competition you can get a Glock. They work great for self defense, competition, and target shooting. Another great option if you don't live in MA is the S&W M&P pistol. This is a winning combination. Has the same features as a Glock yet has a better grip angle and some other great features. I would recommend a .40S&W if you are using for all applications. 9mm doesn't work for some shooting disciplines. I would also recommend getting a full size gun not a compact or subcompact.

Another option would be a 1911. They are the best platform IMO out there. Only problem is most are .45 which can be a little much for new shooters (although they recoil about the same as a .40 and sometimes even less) and the ammo costs more.

Pete

My first handgun was a S&W Model 19 - a .357 Magnum revolver. You can shoot either .38 Special or .357 ammo in it; .38 target loads have pretty light recoil which is a good thing for beginning shooters.

Some good models to look for are the S&W Model 19/66 (the 19 is blued steel; the 66 is stainless) or the 686 (which is still in production) or the Ruger GP100 or Security Six. I personally do not like Colts, but that's because the handgrip is too large for my hands. But they are an excellent gun. Taurus revolvers are available cheap, but I do not like their triggers - most of the ones I've handled have a gritty feel.

The best "all around" handgun and the best first-purchase handgun for a handgun newbie who wants to acquire some skills aren't the same gun.

In my opinion (and I know others with differ), all newbies should start with a .22 and burn up a lot of bricks before taking on the centerfires. If you want to be a bullseye shooter, the best newbie pistol is the S&W Model 41. If you want to be a generalist, the best newbie pistol is the S&W Model 17.

I haven't the courage to suggest what is the "best" "all around" handgun, assuming such a thing exists.

Welcome to the forum. Do a search on this topic. It has been covered many many times, just about whenever someone new joins up. I think many of the regulars actually enjoy dispensing advice, but do the search anyway. My recommendation, a S&W 686 4". Good to start with, good to grow with, good for a long, long time.

Chris

JmasterJ- What type of guns do you prefer? Autos or revolvers? I personally wouldn't start with a .22 pistol but that is just me. The problem with the .22 is you are VERY limited to what competitions you can shoot with it and it will get boring quickly. The plus side to a .22 is that it is VERY cheap to shoot and to buy, and doesn't recoil much so it may be easier to shoot. However, if you want to shoot IPSC or IDPA you are out of luck. Plus, a .22 is NOT a good defensive pistol.

Thanks all for the warm welcome and advice. To answer one's question, pistol/action pistol competition. To answer another's, semi-autos. It seems that many prefer S/W's. I have been renting the P226 in the 9 and have found that my groupings are tighter at 25 feet than with the glock 19 or the S/W 908 that I've shot. I've only gone through 1000 rounds or so and I'm still evaluating my techniques (which need lots of work at this early stage) and different handgun types.

From everyone's experiences:
Where and WHO is recommended to learn from and get instruction from to better my technique?
Thanks
JMJ

From everyone's experiences:
Where and WHO is recommended to learn from and get instruction from to better my technique?
Thanks
JMJ

Come join us at Harvard Sportsmans Club any Wed. night around 5pm. You'll get a ton of help.

If you plan on shooting Action Shooting (USPSA/IPSC) the Glock would be a better choice than the Sig. The Sig P226 is a good gun but isn't the best for competition. My first gun was a Sig P226 and the gun worked great, never jammed or anything. But because it has a double action first pull many people find it harder to shoot esp. on the first shot which is drawn from a holster. (myself included) Where the Glock benefits is that the trigger pull is the same every time you pull it weather it is your first pull or your 20th. Plus, the Glock has a much larger aftermarket than the Sig so if there is anything you don't like about the gun you can for the most part change it out.

Believe it or not I'm not a huge Glock fan. I only have one and don't shoot it all that often. I'm a 1911 guy. However, the Glock is such a great platform.

Do you live in MA??? When are you going to be making a purchase?

If it won't be for another month or two and you live in MA it would be worthwhile to check out the SW M&P.

Pete

I love Glocks and Sigs. I was going to recommend a G19 but since you shoot the P226 better then by all means go with that... as long as you shoot it better in DA/SA at reasonable speeds. A 229 might be more comparable in size to the G19 but if you have big hands go for the 226. Fit it the most important IMO.

Lot's of great classes around. Sig, S&W, many IDPA/IPSC folks are a great source of help.

Party pooper! Anyway.. not many action shooting matches with 22 that I know of. [wink]

If you encourage a new shooter to get too much pistol too soon, he'll have a much more difficult time mastering the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

By watching shooters at action pistol events, it is fairly easy to tell who has solid fundamentals and who doesn't. I have to wonder if many of those whose skills are lacking started their shooting careers with too much gun.

Darius Arbabi

I totally respect and agree with everybody's points of view. I'm a competitor by nature and I can only see myself spending my time and money on worthwhile things. So it seems that from what everyone is suggesting that I will have to evaluate two handguns. A .22 for reasons of cheaper ammo. and mastering the basics and a larger cal. like 9 or .45 for competition. I will have to learn and train with both in a well designed regiment I guess.

Any thoughts on the Sig Mosquito? I've heard they have had problems in generation 1. I have shot the Ruger MIII and did well with it. Any opinions on other .22's
I am also interested in learning more about Para Ord. Any Para experience out there?

I've had an old Riger MkII for many, many years. It's cheap and accurate and will allow you plenty of inexpensive hours at the range. Two most important things for a 22 OR any centerfire pistols... sight picture and trigger pull.... good luck.

I would suggest a .22 also, especially if you are going to get into competitive action shooting. get the fundamentals down with a .22 will make your learning curve with a centerfire alot faster.

it is a great cheap training tool later on when you are shooting and just plain fun to shoot

when you get better and have the fundamentals. I would go with PistolPetes suggestions

+ 1000 for a 22 of some type you can shoot a lot and not go bankrupt I have 2 myself Ruger22/45 and a S&W 617 6 shot version which by the way is quite accurate hit a 12 gauge shotgun shell at 25 yds ( from a rest I might add) put the pistol back in the case and called it a day and no ask me to do it again

Well... I'm still very new at this too, but did have the chance to shoot the Sig .22

Was very very disapponited with it. Had a FTF (failure to feed) with near every round... that was after going to the more powerful .22 ammo too. Guy at AFS (where I shoot, said they have had a lot of complaints about that particulare gun for that reason)

The Ruger is ver nice and accurate. I personally would still like to give the S&W .22 and the Walther P22 a shot first. (not crazy about that german luger look of the ruger) BUT I have found... shoot as many different guns as you can before you decide.

But a .22 seems to be the best starter IMO for cost, accuracy and learning.

Plus... then you get a reason to move up to a bigger gun later [smile]

Matt take a look at the Ruger 22/45 it has a synthetic ( polymer) frame with a grip that duplicates the 1911 I have one has a 5 1/2 inch barrel To quote an old tv ad "try it you'll like it"

Hands down, the best .22 auto, both as a trainer and for National Match competition, is the S&W Model 41. Accurate; reliable; great sights; great stocks. The only thing I wouldn't use one for is carrying in the woods: it is simply too nice a pistol to get rained on or holster wear.

Any thoughts on the Sig Mosquito? I've heard they have had problems in generation 1.

I shot most of last winter with a Sig Mosquito. It is an ammo sensitive gun but I found Remington's Target ammo fed best.

Pete's right on the money when it comes to the Sig and Glock. I own a Sig P226 and it is a great gun but not for IPSC. DA/SA and heavy trigger pull are a few of the gun's competition disadvantages.

Glocks were recommended to me by many knowledgeable shooters and after using a Glock 22 for a short while I have to agree.

Good luck and have fun.

I would venture up to the S&W range in Springfield. Its really a cheap date.
Might run you $50.00 to shoot 5 or 6 guns. Your better off doing this than
asking for advice here, we all have different hand sizes and feel for recoil.

Go there and find out which one fits your hand and you shoot well.

The 41 in 5 inch is one i would consider, also the 686 in 4 or 6 inch
is a great shooter.

Don't be the shooter who buys on someone elses advice and winds up selling
for a loss because it was a disappointment.

My 2c,

JimB

Pete's right on the money when it comes to the Sig and Glock. I own a Sig P226 and it is a great gun but not for IPSC. DA/SA and heavy trigger pull are a few of the gun's competition disadvantages.

Glocks were recommended to me by many knowledgeable shooters and after using a Glock 22 for a short while I have to agree.

Good luck and have fun.

I'm in general agreement with pretty much all of the advice offered in this thread.

Two minor points:

While you are right about the TRADITIONAL SIG triggers, the new DAK option may change the equation.

Also, if you only want to use the 22 for plinking and as a trainer, and not as a competition gun, then a 22 conversion kit may make more sense than a dedicated pistol, as you'll get EXACTLY the same grip and trigger that way.

But just offhand, I'm not aware of any for the SIG frames, only the 1911s, Glocks, and, I think, the Berettas.

Regards
John

Pyano, for my own clarity. You like the Glock for IPSC better than the sig.
JimB

Yes, the Glock is a better gun IMHO, for playing the game. With the DA only trigger adjusted with a 3.5 lb connector I can get my first shot off almost 1/2 second faster and get it on target, something I struggled to do with the Sig. I used the Glock in a match Sunday in Production and the gun ran well, the shooter, not so well. Because of all the aftermarket products available for the Glock it's easy to modify. I'm going to use it for Limited or Limited 10. That's nice versatility without having to break the bank.

I'm new to shooting and looking to make my first purchase of a firearm. I want to purchase a best overall firearm that I can use for general shooting applications as well as something that does well in competition. Any suggestions as to what to try and at what calibers?
JMJ

Depends on the type of "competition" your going to do.

If you're interested in steel plates or IPSC production, or IDPA (dunno what
class youd run it in IDPA, SSP?) a Glock 17 9mm works pretty well for the
cost. For awhile FS had some 2nd gen refurbs for $399 plus tax.

Course theres an awful lot of other choices that work, too... but the G17
is the first that comes to mind as being multipurpouse.

-Mike

Thanks for all the response on this question. I am surprized that no one has mentioned Para Ordnance. On the suggestion from one of the CFIs at AFS= Para's P18-9mm Single Action Hi Capacity. I think I have fallen in love. Better feel in the hand than the P226/P229, super light trigger, cycles super smooth and fast...now only if they made a .22LR conversion for it.

JMJ

Back
Top Bottom