• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what do you do for insurance for guns?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Do people take out an additional coverage on their homeowner's policy for their guns?

Do you own a home?
If you have home owners you can cover them on that policy, but you will have to provide you agent/ insurance company with the information.

Do you own a home?
If you have home owners you can cover them on that policy, but you will have to provide you agent/ insurance company with the information.

What level of information do they need? Are model numbers/configurations enough or do they require SNs?

I've been hoping they are covered under my normal policy....or better yet, hoping the same thing as insurance for everything else.... that I never need it :)

What level of information do they need? Are model numbers/configurations enough or do they require SNs?

I've been hoping they are covered under my normal policy....or better yet, hoping the same thing as insurance for everything else.... that I never need it :)

Well it depends on the company.

Some want Serial numbers and others just want receipts. If you dont have the receipts you can have any firearm appraised.

You can also cover any ammo you have on hand, that you dont plan on shooting.

Firearm Insurance

The NRA offers a plan under their NRA Endorsed Insurance Program for firearms insurance. This is about $16.00-$17.00 per thousand. Firarms under $1500.00 in value are unscheduled, over require them to be scheduled. 1-800-672-3006

Homeowners insurance covers contents, with a limit, which is only an estimate of your personal items. If you do not have a high enough limit you may find that you cannot replace all items if a claim is made.

Also when you cover specific items, with a specific value, the insurance companies will cover the specific items for the full value. That is the benefit of covering each firearm on a schedule under you homeowners.

Well it depends on the company.

Some want Serial numbers and others just want receipts. If you dont have the receipts you can have any firearm appraised.

You can also cover any ammo you have on hand, that you dont plan on shooting.

Cool. Once I buy a house I'll have to look into this as I plan to increase my collection steadily after that point.

You mean I can't cover ammo I shoot? 'The ammo's accuracy was 1/2 MOA off!'

Cool. Once I buy a house I'll have to look into this as I plan to increase my collection steadily after that point.

You mean I can't cover ammo I shoot? 'The ammo's accuracy was 1/2 MOA off!'

Well you could cover ammo you shoot but you would have to constantly update you policy to reflect the accurate amounts of ammo on hand.

If you dont have a home owners policy and you rent. There is renters insurance polices, which specifically covers your personal belonging.

Being a tenant, its one of the best things you can do to protect yourself in case the owner doesn't have the proper insurance. Also tenants belonging are never covered by a landlords property policy. Its very inexpensive and very worth the money!

I've been hoping they are covered under my normal policy....

Some have riders that limit the total coverage of some items, firearms included. My State Farm policy is limited to $5000.00. My agent told me to buy firearm's specific coverage if I wanted higher coverage.

If you dont have a home owners policy and you rent. There is renters insurance polices, which specifically covers your personal belonging.

Being a tenant, its one of the best things you can do to protect yourself in case the owner doesn't have the proper insurance. Also tenants belonging are never covered by a landlords property policy. Its very inexpensive and very worth the money!

+1, Back when I rented this was cheap and very reassuring...

as for homeowners, not enough yet to worry about. I hope that changes!!

Just a small tip, insurance companies tend to dislike any claims made on a homeowner's policy. So as soon as you file a claim for that lost wedding ring or whatever, your homeowner's insurance can get canceled and you can then have trouble finding another company who is willing to cover you at anything but outrageous prices.

I keep all of my valuable items (wife's jewelry, camera equipment, firearms, etc) on completely separate insurance policies from my homeowner's insurance. It doesn't cost any more, but allows me to save money on my homeowner's policy by choosing a larger deductible, and it negates the risk of the above scenario.

Some have riders that limit the total coverage of some items, firearms included. My State Farm policy is limited to $5000.00. My agent told me to buy firearm's specific coverage if I wanted higher coverage.

Mine was only up to $1000. I opted for the NRA insurance.

As already mentioned, there are limits, mine was $2,000.00. You need to get an additional rider for more coverage. I just went through a claim, and I will pass this info on. Regardless of your coverage, the burden of proof is on you. You must proof to the insurance company that you did in fact own everything you are claiming got stolen. Receipts, pictures, appraisals, manuals, etc. And if you don't have replacement insurance they will prorate the value of these items. You need to take pictures and keep records of everything. If you own something that is irreplaceable have it appraised. Besides the jewelry that can never be replaced, because it was handed down, I lost two pistols that are not produced any longer and I can not replace them. All in all my insurance company was great, and my claim smooth considering. But I produced a 3 ring binder with pictures receipts, manuals and serial numbers for everything. In fact it was the serial numbers off the TV and Ipod that lead to the arrest on the bastards two days later. Guns have never been recovered to date. I will leave you with this advice...sit down and really read your policy, most assume(myself included ) you are covered. It is an awful feeling when you are exposed to the limits and limitations of your policy. I guaranty most will find holes in there coverage.

In fact it was the serial numbers off the TV and Ipod

If you were able to produce that information, you are defiantly in the minority. I was lucky when dealing with stolen mv's if the victim could remember their license plate. Stolen laptops, cellphone and no one ever had the sn.

Yeah, I am one of those people that out of a million sold, the one I buy is defective. So I always keep all the paper work, receipts and record S/N's for future disputes. Since the break-in I video taped the whole house and put the CD in the safe, even if you have plenty of coverage you still have to prove you owned it. I can't image having a total lose due to a fire or disaster. It is stressful enough to deal with having your property stolen, and than dealing with an insurance company that questions weather you are gaffing them or not. Having this information saved me, caught the criminals and got my claim processed quickly.

I can't image having a total lose due to a fire or disaster.

One of our Broad members and a friend at the gun club went through just that. A stray electrical surge blew out his electrical panel and started a fire. The house was a total loss. Due to his gun safe, his firearms weren't damaged but some very expensive amateur radio equipment was destroyed. I learned a lot about insurance from talking to him. for instance, the rider on my policy limiting me to 5k in firearms insurance is only for theft, not lose through fire, water damage.

REPOST; we covered this in March 07.
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18193

Historic Firearms Insurance was the best value for me. They are located in Pembroke and are underwritten by Chubb. They include accessories also and cover any type of loss (fire, theft, or damage).
Homeowners was WAY more expensive and I have heard that some carriers will drop you if you tell them there are firearms on the premises.

Back
Top Bottom