• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Hey guys, I finally ordered some Hi Tek and want to get coating asap.

Any advice for powder coating in a cold garage?
Make sure your temps are right. Don’t open the oven unless you need to.
add a big brick or block of steel inside the oven to hold the heat in.

Or move it to the basement and add a small window fan to pull the fumes out.

Thanks. I casted some 44 as well. That mold was much easier to warm up and work with. The eight cavity 9mm mold was a little trickier. Well that, and I was a little impatient. Probably should have used a hot plate to warm it up first.
Yeah the hot plate makes a huge difference.
The bigger bullets warm the mould fasts. Like the heavy Lee .458s. Those suckers are cold for the first two casts. Great for 2 and over heated like mad for the rest of the day.

Nice dogs, is that a lee turret press? If so how do you like it? I'm still on the single stage 🤪
thanks, yes, that is a Lee turret and i love it. i started on a single stage rockchucker and still use it for rifle. the quick change turret plates make caliber changes a breeze. i like that it's faster than single stage but i can still carefully watch what's happening and make adjustments on the fly, which is what's kept me away from a progressive.

So these delivered today. 100 new star line 44 mag cases. Got the email that my Speer 300 grain jsp pills shipped.

Now to decide on powder. I got unique or h110. Don't have large magnum primers though just standard large primers. Any recommendations on powder choice for this? The fire arm is an old ruger 44 carbine. 20210202_165052.jpg 20210202_164957.jpg

So these delivered today. 100 new star line 44 mag cases. Got the email that my Speer 300 grain jsp pills shipped.

Now to decide on powder. I got unique or h110. Don't have large magnum primers though just standard large primers. Any recommendations on powder choice for this? The fire arm is an old ruger 44 carbine.

For true magnum loads, the H110 would be suggested.
I have never owned the Ruger Carbine, but have heard that it doesn't like the larger/heavier bullets. You will find out whether this is true or false. Have you used this bullet before?
In any case, good luck.

For true magnum loads, the H110 would be suggested.
I have never owned the Ruger Carbine, but have heard that it doesn't like the larger/heavier bullets. You will find out whether this is true or false. Have you used this bullet before?
In any case, good luck.
Never owned or loaded for a 44 mag.

I had to go 300 grain because that's all that was in stock. I've also heard 240 is the best choice.....but in this market you get what you get.

Elmer started with a load of 18.5 gr of 2400 under a 250 gr "Keith" bullet. This was in a .44 Spl case.

His famous .44 Mag load was 22.0 gr of 2400 under the same 250 gr bullet. This was, and still is, considered a pretty hot load. (Speer #13 list 20.0 gr of 2400 under a 250 gr cast as the max load).

I know that Keith wrote a good deal of books, not sure how many. They oft' sought after and therefore expensive used.

Now to decide on powder. I got unique or h110. Don't have large magnum primers though just standard large primers. Any recommendations on powder choice for this? The fire arm is an old ruger 44 carbine. View attachment 445031View attachment 445032
If you need LPM primers I'd be fine trading 1/1 if you're near worcester. I have a shit ton of LPM primers.

May take you up on that. I have cci large to trade would that work like for you?

I gotta get some made up to test this rifle my son bought it last weekend always wanted one.
Yep, I believe I have CCI, Federal and Winchester. I MIGHT have some 240gr XTPs still as well. I'll take a look haven't loaded .44MAG since buying the .460MAG lol.

Elmer started with a load of 18.5 gr of 2400 under a 250 gr "Keith" bullet. This was in a .44 Spl case.

His famous .44 Mag load was 22.0 gr of 2400 under the same 250 gr bullet. This was, and still is, considered a pretty hot load. (Speer #13 list 20.0 gr of 2400 under a 250 gr cast as the max load).

I know that Keith wrote a good deal of books, not sure how many. They oft' sought after and therefore expensive used.
I have to use jacketed bullets in this recipe. The ruger 44 carbine is semi auto gas operated and lead.....cast or swaged......will plug the gas tube.

I have to check my Lyman.

Yeah. I seem to remember it I think in a discussion of using Unique in 45-70 loads because the case is so huge and you only need like 12gr in it for a trapdoor load with no 'filler' material. I think someone mentioned you don't need a magnum primer with it because it ignites so readily.

Back
Top Bottom