What did you do in the reloading room recently?

There is some mythical knowledge / voodoo about loading off the lands that I'm sure the high power guys here can give more detail on. I don't do that or even have the tools to do so. But I do know the amount you make the bullet "jump" from the case to barrel mouth ("lands") definitely effects accuracy of every bullet different.

I have found in general that the closer I keep .223 and .308 rounds to the AR15/AR10 mag length max spec, the better they do. I don't load any rounds over mag length. Everything I own will fit in and shoot from a factory mag.

I do have the Hornady doohickey for loading just off the lands... just never bothered using it with 55 gr pills.

I had been counting but lost track lol. I guess I could dig through the trash and count the primer trays🤣
I have a simple digital counter to keep track of my round count. If I remember to reset it, turn it on or move it to another press. Counting rounds, ugh I estimate. Goes something like this.
Full bucket= alot , 1/2 bucket = hmm i shot that much already , 1/4 bucket ruh roh gotta get loading

I had been counting but lost track lol. I guess I could dig through the trash and count the primer trays🤣
Call me crazy but I’ve saved almost every single primer tray since I’ve started reloading.
One day I’ll pay the kids to count them all and see how much of their college tuition I’ve spent on components.

I do have the Hornady doohickey for loading just off the lands... just never bothered using it with 55 gr pills.
you may or may not get there depending on the bullet shape.
The hornady bulk 55s can jam into the lands.
other bullets are "longer" or stretched out with less bearing surface and longer ogive profile.
For what ever reason 223 seems to like a jump.
when I run 80 grain bullets in my AR with wylde chamber im well off lands and so far the manufsctures data is the best in my rifle

Holy crap man!
You a pack rat/hoarder?...😂
Nah I just heard about some old timer doing that shortly after I got serious about reloading.
So I said “why the hell not”

They really don’t take up much room at all. I have a large bag in an old wooden explosives crate.
I’m not some USPSA maniac shooting 1000 rounds a week or anything. It would just be a cool number to add up some day when I’m old and gray.

I have a simple digital counter to keep track of my round count. If I remember to reset it, turn it on or move it to another press. Counting rounds, ugh I estimate. Goes something like this.
Full bucket= alot , 1/2 bucket =

Call me crazy but I’ve saved almost every single primer tray since I’ve started reloading.
One day I’ll pay the kids to count them all and see how much of their college tuition I’ve spent on components.

You could probably sell them in the classifieds to those NES members who don't have any primers just so they know what the trays feel like. Of course @andrew1220 would probably buy all of them to give to these "friends" he speaks of giving primers to 😁

Was a productive week. Filled one 50 cal can with 9mm. I think that’s around 2,200 rounds.
The can on the right was what I had left from reloading last winter. Didn’t do too much shooting with the lack of matches last year. Only shot a can and a half plus a small container of 9mm, last year.
View attachment 443639
With these cans of ammo plus a bunch of Xtreme, Powerbond, Eggleston, and Acme bullets I have loaded, I’m probably good for a couple years.

Oh and for the first time tonight, I accidentally emptied a whole tube of primers all over my bench and floor😭. My finger slipped as I was removing the little pin, and before I could react they were completely emptied 😂.

BUT!! After 15 minutes crawling around my basement floor, I got all 100! Can’t be losing primers nowadays.

You know, you just got me thinking. I'd be willing to bet I have 50 or so primers that I have never found from multiple spills onto the basement floor....as you just witnessed those things are like Mexican jumping beans. I should probably spend some time crawling around with a flashlight in my mouth.....bahahahawawahaha...who am I kidding, that ain't gonna happen.

If primer shortages persist maybe I will sell tickets on NES for a primer treasure hunt...get to keep all the loose primers you find ;-)

I have a cat, that insists on being up on my bench when I'm down stairs. Try as I might she is in the way 99% of the time. So as I discarded an empty primer pack I tossed it towards the trash. MISSED by several nautical miles. BUT the sure footed feline saw this and BINGO new cat toy! Fast forward she still has it couple years later and it gets kicked under benches and in between box of stored stuff and it keeps her busy. Couple hundred dollars worth of stupid cat toys upstairs go unplayed with, yet a simple piece of trash amuses her. Life should be this uncomplicated !

You know, you just got me thinking. I'd be willing to bet I have 50 or so primers that I have never found from multiple spills onto the basement floor....as you just witnessed those things are like Mexican jumping beans. I should probably spend some time crawling around with a flashlight in my mouth.....bahahahawawahaha...who am I kidding, that ain't gonna happen.

If primer shortages persist maybe I will sell tickets on NES for a primer treasure hunt...get to keep all the loose primers you find ;-)

How about a magnet...?

You could probably sell them in the classifieds to those NES members who don't have any primers just so they know what the trays feel like. Of course @andrew1220 would probably buy all of them to give to these "friends" he speaks of giving primers to 😁
Good idea!

I’ll open the bidding at $5 per sleeve. They’re getting $8 on gunbroker. Don’t low ball me I know what I have!!

I have a cat, that insists on being up on my bench when I'm down stairs. Try as I might she is in the way 99% of the time. So as I discarded an empty primer pack I tossed it towards the trash. MISSED by several nautical miles. BUT the sure footed feline saw this and BINGO new cat toy! Fast forward she still has it couple years later and it gets kicked under benches and in between box of stored stuff and it keeps her busy. Couple hundred dollars worth of stupid cat toys upstairs go unplayed with, yet a simple piece of trash amuses her. Life should be this uncomplicated !
Cats are famous for that. Little to no interest in actual toys but they turn everything else into a toy. Mine used to love those plastic pull tab/rings that you pull off when you open a gallon of milk.

Cats are famous for that. Little to no interest in actual toys but they turn everything else into a toy. Mine used to love those plastic pull tab/rings that you pull off when you open a gallon of milk.
Yup. And they look at you like "Hey, thanks for thinking of me and buying that scratching post, but the couch works just as well!"

Shit I can’t believe how much brass prices have gone up. I haven’t really bought any since the pandemic. I think I was paying $25-$30 per 1k shipped of clean 9mm brass. Up to 8-10 cents now from many vendors. I’ve got enough clean brass to load the last of my blue bullets then I’m out.

Shit I can’t believe how much brass prices have gone up. I haven’t really bought any since the pandemic. I think I was paying $25-$30 per 1k shipped of clean 9mm brass. Up to 8-10 cents now from many vendors. I’ve got enough clean brass to load the last of my blue bullets then I’m out.
If New England regionals actually happens you could volunteer to run the indoor stages again. Sweep up the brass for 3 days.
At least you already have the mask covered. 🤣

I bought 6K sometime in late September. I paid around 230.00, cleaned. If you need any, let me know.

Getting ready to load .45 for the Glock 41 which should arrive in June
ordered dies and conversion kit 1/12; back ordered, expected in April
ordered large primer quick change kit 1/28; shipped 1/29

230 grn plated bullets just came in from XTreme
I have a couple thousand LPP,
so all I need is brass - I made a deal for 480 pcs on Mewe, and I've been brass ratting at my club - picked up about 300 pieces this past week.

it's all about thinking in terms of months these days rather than days or even weeks...

There is some mythical knowledge / voodoo about loading off the lands that I'm sure the high power guys here can give more detail on. I don't do that or even have the tools to do so. But I do know the amount you make the bullet "jump" from the case to barrel mouth ("lands") definitely effects accuracy of every bullet different.

I have found in general that the closer I keep .223 and .308 rounds to the AR15/AR10 mag length max spec, the better they do. I don't load any rounds over mag length. Everything I own will fit in and shoot from a factory mag.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRXlCG9YZbQ

Someone posted this video on another thread. The video makes a lot of sense for precision loading.

my cat loves boxes, wife bought a $100 cat bed.....nope. Hes like a junky anytime a new box comes in. Has to get in it.
As far as the cat in the reloading room getting in my way.....nah one round of foot to cat game and hes gone.

my cat loves boxes, wife bought a $100 cat bed.....nope. Hes like a junky anytime a new box comes in. Has to get in it.
As far as the cat in the reloading room getting in my way.....nah one round of foot to cat game and hes gone.
Same here. We have two cats. They'll jam themselves in whatever box there is. Put a piece of paper or a magazine down on the floor and they're right on top of that too.

Back
Top Bottom