What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I wish I got it a long time ago. I couldn't justify the expense when ammo was cheap and I wasn't reloading as much, but now its a no brainer. It's just too easy, push button, charge case, push button, charge case. Life is good.

Be sure you're waiting until a few seconds after it finishes throwing the charge so you can see the actual weight thrown. Its not uncommon for it to throw heavy charges so its critical to wait for the actual charge weight to be displayed before you dump it in the case.

it's better because I can dry fire practice while I wait for it to throw a charge and it's effortless, and you get to see the weight of each charge, and it's about the same speed as using a measure and then weighing/trickling each charge on a scale.

The cheap lee powder thrower works pretty well and gets it close to the amount. For my 6.5 creed and 8mm mauser

Why is the chargemaster better? It seems slower?
Because it is (slower).

Priceless tool for ‘working up’ loads on anything though. I ‘tuned’ my programming up a little to make it faster, but it does overthrow about a third of the time now. Nothing a pinch of powder can’t fix, but the machine is worth its weight in gold right now since I’m reloading literally everything I shoot.

SO glad to be a components hoarder pre-this BS. I can’t hoard much now because it’s all so tough to come by, but my previous “I’m not going through Sandy hook bullshit again’ stash is definitely paying off and helping me sleep at night. If/when this shit all blows over...I’m buying enough for two lifetimes worth of shooting.

Was at the range today shooting a .357 magnum Henry (20") and a 3" Ruger SP101. I had some .357 magnum loads, but I also had some light .38 specials. Well, they weren't supposed to be that light, but I had loaded up a bunch of them to finish up a cannister of Shooters World Ultimate Pistol. 158 grain Zero JHP over 5.4 grains of Shooter's World Ultimate Pistol. COAL was a short 1.425". According to the manual and to Quickload, that ought to be a reasonably heavy 38 special load, but when I chrono'd it the other day out of a 5.5" Vacquero, it was only coming in at just under 700fps and very consistent. I was expecting 900fps. I'd loaded them months ago and shot probably a couple of hundred before now, but I hadn't chrono'd them, and I hadn't remembered them being that light. Didn't seem to be temperature sensitivity, as warming them up in my pocket didn't seem to make any difference. I did shoot a bunch of them today in the SP101, but just for grins, I loaded one directly into the chamber of the Henry and shot it at the 60 yard berm. Sounded squib-like, and I saw something exit the barrel and fly downrange. So I checked it out. Barrel was clear. Since it had just snowed, there was some chance of finding the bullet if it hadn't made it all the way downrange. This is what I found:

image0.jpeg

Apparently enough Ultimate Pistol to send a 158 grain jacketed bullet downrange at 685fps out of a 5.5" barrel is only barely enough to overcome friction in a 20" barrel.

Was at the range today shooting a .357 magnum Henry (20") and a 3" Ruger SP101. I had some .357 magnum loads, but I also had some light .38 specials. Well, they weren't supposed to be that light, but I had loaded up a bunch of them to finish up a cannister of Shooters World Ultimate Pistol. 158 grain Zero JHP over 5.4 grains of Shooter's World Ultimate Pistol. COAL was a short 1.425". According to the manual and to Quickload, that ought to be a reasonably heavy 38 special load, but when I chrono'd it the other day out of a 5.5" Vacquero, it was only coming in at just under 700fps and very consistent. I was expecting 900fps. I'd loaded them months ago and shot probably a couple of hundred before now, but I hadn't chrono'd them, and I hadn't remembered them being that light. Didn't seem to be temperature sensitivity, as warming them up in my pocket didn't seem to make any difference. I did shoot a bunch of them today in the SP101, but just for grins, I loaded one directly into the chamber of the Henry and shot it at the 60 yard berm. Sounded squib-like, and I saw something exit the barrel and fly downrange. So I checked it out. Barrel was clear. Since it had just snowed, there was some chance of finding the bullet if it hadn't made it all the way downrange. This is what I found:

View attachment 442727

Apparently enough Ultimate Pistol to send a 158 grain jacketed bullet downrange at 685fps out of a 5.5" barrel is only barely enough to overcome friction in a 20" barrel.
hmm I feel like I read some where that when loading pistol cals to be used in rifle length barrels to have a minimum of 750fps?
Something also jars my memory of using the slowest powder safe for you cal/bullet choice for the long barrels?

82deg countersink bit single flute. In a drill or other. I use one in a small bench top lathe.

I gave up on all the swagers. They all caused too many lost primers later.
Just a note: be aware that the swag type crimp removers are not friendly to cases with different web thickness. I would suggest sorting at least by manufacture.
I have jumped on the cutter method for crimp removal.

View attachment 442727

Is that an empty jacket? It blew the lead out?
Looks like it. I had that happen with some of the Zero bullets. Well I had to pull a couple bullets and I was only able to remove the lead core not the jacket. I was like wtf!?😂

hmm I feel like I read some where that when loading pistol cals to be used in rifle length barrels to have a minimum of 750fps?
Something also jars my memory of using the slowest powder safe for you cal/bullet choice for the long barrels?
Sounds reasonable. Other than a relatively hot 125 grain coated lead load that I developed for my Rossi, I just don't shoot 38 specials out of my lever guns. I just sent that one down range to see what it would be like. Now I know. I didn't shoot another one in the rifle.
Is that an empty jacket? It blew the lead out?
Yes. My theory is that the bullet accelerated through the first several inches of barrel until the pressure dropped so far that the friction of the barrel against the copper jacket started slowing it down. The lead core has almost all the momentum, however, and with the jacket braking against the barrel and the lead heated up, it just kept going, leaving the jacket behind. But there was still enough pressure in the barrel to force out the lightweight jacket, so it popped out like popgun cork and flew about 30 yards downrange.
Looks like it. I had that happen with some of the Zero bullets. Well I had to pull a couple bullets and I was only able to remove the lead core not the jacket. I was like wtf!?😂
More speculation from me, but I think as long as you have a suitable load that accelerates the bullet all the way out of the barrel, which you would in any hunting scenario, the only implication of not being bonded is separation in the animal, which might not happen if there is expansion, putting the jacket behind an umbrella of lead as it passes through, as you saw in your water jug tests.

Well I guess I will use 700-X for .45 ACP lol...

Powder continues to drop. hopefully HP38 drops and maybe some Varget.

Last edited:
Well I guess I will use 700-X for .45 ACP lol...

Powder continues to drop. hopefully HP38 drops and maybe some Varget.

Nothing wrong with 700X in .45acp., I've used lots of it.

This morning I finished up prepping a 3000rnd batch of 9mm brass for loading. Sized, primed and belled. Awaiting projos tomorrow morning if the mail is on time.

So fancy. I use a $20 lee perfect powder measure for all of my stick powders😂. Which is only IMR-4064. But I’m only shooting out to 120 yards. Not any PRS stuff.
I finally broke down and ordered a Lee for N110. I'll still use the Hornady for ball powders, but I've resorted to using my RCBS Chargemaster for .357 magnum and .44 magnum loads with N110 because that powder doesn't drop consistently in the Hornady drop. N110 is a stick powder that looks like N320 and N340 but doesn't cut like them. My experience with both N3xx powders is that they meter accurately and consistently in the Hornady drop, not so N110, where I'm easily off by 0.2 grains, sometimes even 0.3 grains. I've tried dropping a little under and then manually trickling the last few sticks, but that's tedious. The Chargemaster is an accurate alternative, but it's slow. I can multitask with it for awhile as I get the seater and crimp dies set up, then switch to seating and crimping every 20 rounds or so, but about 2/3rds of the way through 100 rounds, I'm just sitting there waiting on the Chargemaster. We'll see how the Lee works out.

Nothing wrong with 700X in .45acp., I've used lots of it.

This morning I finished up prepping a 3000rnd batch of 9mm brass for loading. Sized, primed and belled. Awaiting projos tomorrow morning if the mail is on time.

Several years ago I found, I believe, 4.5 grains of 700x under a 230 gr RN grouped amazing out of my 1911 at 15 yards.

Not reloading per say but I ran a new circuit in the basement to add a bunch of receptacles for where my new bench will reside. Also added a couple lights. Just screw in led bulbs at the moment but thinking I’ll upgrade them to strip led. Also moved a wall. Made the laundry room smaller and man cave bigger 😂. I only smashed one finger and cut one. Not bad for a days work.

Not reloading per say but I ran a new circuit in the basement to add a bunch of receptacles for where my new bench will reside. Also added a couple lights. Just screw in led bulbs at the moment but thinking I’ll upgrade them to strip led. Also moved a wall. Made the laundry room smaller and man cave bigger 😂. I only smashed one finger and cut one. Not bad for a days work.
If you aint bleeding you aint workin hard enough [thumbsup]

Hopefully it also works in a Mark 23, Glock 21, & 108 year old 1911. :)
I really should pick up a modern 1911 for range use.
The referenced 1911 was just an entry level Rock Island Armory 1911 FS-A1 model. Which is basically three quarters of a step up from their bare bones GI spec clone.

I'll have to see if I can find a photo of the group and post it.

It functioned well, shot well, just never made a large production run. I've loaded most of my .45 230 gr with HP38, as I had the most of that powder back when I shot more .45. I did a small test loads of Titegroup, Red Dot, Bullseye, 700X, HP38, Power Pistol, and Accurate #5 just for shiggles and gits. I'll probably make a post with those results at some point.

Back
Top Bottom