What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I've heard the 240 xtp run great in the ruger 44 carbine. Tried to get those from a few online sources and all sold out.
I've also got more than enough magnum LPP if you need/want to trade - Gloucester - Wilmington area. I got Win and CCI magnums. I've also got some Xtreme plated 240 gr bullets if you wanted to trade for some of those? They're not jacketed obviously but might work/hold up with a stout load of H110? Not sure.

What I did recently, made a small batch of 30-30s, took inventory of supplies, re-organized a little, then drank brandy! And yes in that order.
Nice! 30-30 was my newest caliber to start reloading. Fun caliber for sure. Seems like my Marlin 336 likes the 150 gr SP rather than the 170s. I was using IMR-4064.

Nice! 30-30 was my newest caliber to start reloading. Fun caliber for sure. Seems like my Marlin 336 likes the 150 gr SP rather than the 170s. I was using IMR-4064.
Yup, reloaded 150s with Benchmark because I thought I had no 3031, go out to the shed and what do I find, an unopened pound of 3031. Hence the inventory taking LOL

Never owned or loaded for a 44 mag.

I had to go 300 grain because that's all that was in stock. I've also heard 240 is the best choice.....but in this market you get what you get.

The twist is 1 in 38. The calculator on the Berger site puts them in the middle of the "marginal" stability zone. It should be OK, though I seem to recall that the formula for boat-tail rifle rounds, which I expect is what the calculator is using, isn't quite right for flat-base bullets, so maybe the calculator isn't that helpful.

Breaking down Blue Betsy for a caliber conversion I discovered my case feed slide is split and not staying on the t track. Not sure when during the last 2.5 bricks it let loose. Going to call DP tomorrow and order a replacement. May try casting one in resin as a stop gap..first broken part in 30 years. Damn things are well made, that’s for sure..

Breaking down Blue Betsy for a caliber conversion I discovered my case feed slide is split and not staying on the t track. Not sure when during the last 2.5 bricks it let loose. Going to call DP tomorrow and order a replacement. May try casting one in resin as a stop gap..first broken part in 30 years. Damn things are well made, that’s for sure..

They will send you a new one for free. Dillon stands behind their shit.

The twist is 1 in 38. The calculator on the Berger site puts them in the middle of the "marginal" stability zone. It should be OK, though I seem to recall that the formula for boat-tail rifle rounds, which I expect is what the calculator is using, isn't quite right for flat-base bullets, so maybe the calculator isn't that helpful.
This batch of 300 grain reloads is more for a function check. Like I said 300 grain jsp is all I could get online.

Well, Whacko, give it a go; hope it runs well for you.
As for .30-30, you can make powder puff loads with the little .32-20 bullet: Lyman 311008. Norm sells a coated version of this. Just run them through the .308"/.309" Lee Sizer die and these bullets will work in your .30-30 and 7.62x25mm, for that matter.

This batch of 300 grain reloads is more for a function check. Like I said 300 grain jsp is all I could get online.

In my experience with the Ruger 44, if the issue is not a question of accuracy, the worst that typically happens is failure to feed, and a pull on the charging handle will just chamber the cartridge. That's what would happen with my moderate 180 grain loads. I've shot 300 grainers out of a Ruger 44. I just don't remember the loads. They would have used H110, but I don't remember whether they were coated (300 grain Missouri Bullet TCFP) or jacketed (Hornady XTP). I do remember that they cycled without any malfunctions in my 1969 Ruger 44. I have two, and with the one made in 1963, I got a double feed on my first outing with 240 grain loads, but after a more thorough cleaning and maybe replacing the recoil spring (I don't remember), I think I've fixed that. I didn't have any more of those malfunctions in the subsequent outing. I haven't shot that one a bunch, though. The one made in 1969 has seen more use.

Note that while Ruger says not to use unjacketed bullets in these, that advice pre-dates Hi-Tek coated bullets. I ran some through one of mine and then cleaned it. I didn't see any signs of it, just the usual carbon.

In my experience with the Ruger 44, if the issue is not a question of accuracy, the worst that typically happens is failure to feed, and a pull on the charging handle will just chamber the cartridge. That's what would happen with my moderate 180 grain loads. I've shot 300 grainers out of a Ruger 44. I just don't remember the loads. They would have used H110, but I don't remember whether they were coated (300 grain Missouri Bullet TCFP) or jacketed (Hornady XTP). I do remember that they cycled without any malfunctions in my 1969 Ruger 44. I have two, and with the one made in 1963, I got a double feed on my first outing with 240 grain loads, but after a more thorough cleaning and maybe replacing the recoil spring (I don't remember), I think I've fixed that. I didn't have any more of those malfunctions in the subsequent outing. I haven't shot that one a bunch, though. The one made in 1969 has seen more use.

Note that while Ruger says not to use unjacketed bullets in these, that advice pre-dates Hi-Tek coated bullets. I ran some through one of mine and then cleaned it. I didn't see any signs of it, just the usual carbon.
Great info thanks.

Sorted about 2 months of range brass out of my range bag lol......357 38 and 45acp. Got a batch of 45 in the tumbler for an overnight spin. I gotta stop dumping my brass all into the outside pockets of my bag without sorting it first 😂

Finished that and tore down another 50 rounds of bad 2400 powder 357 to get ready to reload those with unique.

Almost time for jeopardy.

I have never used a magnum primer with Unique. Never had an issue. This is with a 1894 as well. Actually, I should say the coyote and foxes have never noticed any issues with that combo.
I'm looking at Lyman 50th now and unfortunately there's no load data for unique for a 300 grain jsp. I'm assuming that's because it's a fast burning powder. 240 grain pills and below there is data for unique. So ill be stuck with h110 and no magnum primers to use.....😑

That sucks cuz my brass delivered yesterday and the projos will deliver tomorrow.

I was toying with the idea of picking up a turret press for rifle rounds, and like the Redding T7. Naturally, they're out of stock everywhere. I just watched one get bid up to $800. Good lord.

Redding Reloading T-7 Turret Press with Primer Arm for sale online | eBay
This any good?

I'm looking at Lyman 50th now and unfortunately there's no load data for unique for a 300 grain jsp. I'm assuming that's because it's a fast burning powder. 240 grain pills and below there is data for unique. So ill be stuck with h110 and no magnum primers to use.....😑

That sucks cuz my brass delivered yesterday and the projos will deliver tomorrow.
If you’re willing to come to Gloucester or the Wilmington area I can sell you some magnum Win or CCI primers. Along with some Xtreme plated 240 grainers. Let me know.

Also I think Glenn’s Ammo in North Reading had 44 cal XTPs

This any good?

You May already be aware of this (no insult intended), but i am still mentioning it anyways due to the large number of newbi reloaders = Just realize that you will also need to purchase ALOT of additional reloading parts for that press, to actually operate and run it, and be able to load pistal and/or rifle ammunition.

This any good?
That's the press I am using. Tens of thousand of rounds of .223 and 9mm made on it. I did buy a SDB for 9mm a while back do to my increased shooting. The Lee plugs along still for my .223.

Back
Top Bottom