• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

The stuff we used in the basement is engineered vinyl flooring from Lowes. It's designed for basements, is waterproof, and only $2.50/sf. That's not bad considering the alternatives and it snaps together like the laminate does except this is 100% vinyl.

I have been working up a few different loads for my Limited gun. (fotay)
All loaded at 1.195" and all at 170PF

200g plated over Titegroup
180g plated over Titegroup
180g plated over Clays
180g coated over Clays

I have a batch of a couple hundred of each (except the coated, only 25) to compare recoil impulse side by side, and check for accuracy.

The stuff we used in the basement is engineered vinyl flooring from Lowes. It's designed for basements, is waterproof, and only $2.50/sf. That's not bad considering the alternatives and it snaps together like the laminate does except this is 100% vinyl.

I'll check that out.
This stuff will be on the second floor but it's nice to have some durable waterproof stuff anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any pics of my personal rifle handy.
It's basically this rifle with a set of skinner express sights on it. I love the skinner sights.

http://marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895.asp

Those loads in the picture are plinking loads. 405 grain bullets on top of 12 grains of unique. Very consistent and pretty accurate for what they are. I lob them out to the steel at 200 and you can really hear them hit hard. It takes a while to get out there so there's no muzzle blast to cover up the sound. You can practically shoot then take your muffs off to listen before they hit.
At least it feels that way when you're shooting them

Quality and accuracy are good as well. We get minute of head shot at 200m with 125 gr out of an 8" bbl.

Nice! I had good accuracy with bayou coated bullets but I wasnt a fan of the smell while shooting [laugh]
Certainly not the end of the world but that would be my only complaint. Maybe I'll grab a sample pack of the ibejiheads to try out.

They may need a little COL tweaking once I have a rifle to chamber them into. I left them just under 3.000", but the profile may interfere with the rifling as is. The bullet is 123 grains, but since it is less dense than a lead core bullet, it is about as voluminous as a 168 grainer or more

They may need a little COL tweaking once I have a rifle to chamber them into. I left them just under 3.000", but the profile may interfere with the rifling as is. The bullet is 123 grains, but since it is less dense than a lead core bullet, it is about as voluminous as a 168 grainer or more

Ahh that's right. I don't know much about the frangible bullets. Cool stuff.

I picked up some frangibles for my AR. Definatly had some COL issues at first.

Hope you have better luck, I used to shoot a ton out of 40sw when Wideners used to sell them for $65 per 1k

If anyone has a lead on lead free frangible handguns bullets, please PM me. Then we can swap phone number. I don't want anything written down.

I'm tired of paying $320/thousand for frangible 9mm ammo when I go to sig.

I picked up some frangibles for my AR. Definatly had some COL issues at first.

Hope you have better luck, I used to shoot a ton out of 40sw when Wideners used to sell them for $65 per 1k
Roger that. I had a few AR shooters run some of my .223 Remingtons with a frangible bullet (like pictured below). One M4-feed AR simply stove the round forward and bound up in the magazine. The other, Vietnam-feed (??) ran them perfectly.
I don't recall the COAL, but another's M4-feed AR digested the same rounds just fine.
These looked similar in composition to the Sinterfire product, but I don't know about the tip profile being Sinterfires...(two rounds on left):

As for 9mm frangibles, $16 per box doesn't seem that outrageous. I'd be hard-pressed to reload the Sinterfire SF9-100 RHVF for 32 cents a round. The bullet alone runs about 21 cents.
https://www.sinterfire.com/Shop/Bullets/Handgun/9mm/SFR9-90-RHVF-250-ct.aspx?p=3

Last edited:
Well I think I'm good on buying components for a while. Did a SO and Rileys run today and grabbed an 8lb jug of IMR-4064 for $170, the last pound of H110, and 8k primers. Though I could probably use more 30 cal bullets. Also had 2000 zero bullets at my doorstep when I got home.

I was surprised to see 4lb jugs of power pistol at SO. Price wasn't terribly great at $75 and change. Certainly not crazy prices like Bass Pro.

Last edited:
Working on a 7.7 Arisaka load using a .314 200gr lead gas checked bullet. Sized and lubed a few .312 and a few .314. Using a LAM 2 for sizing and lubing.

Running trail boss behind them at first and then a lighter load of possibly H335 or IMR 4895 ( two powders I have on hand ). Looking for a lighter load that still has plinking accuracy at 100 yards.

Two bucks a round factory 7.7. 150gr Sierra loads about $.45 a round and now a lead bullet for under $.22 if I did my math right.

Picked up some 357SIG dies finally. Gonna see how they turn out tomorrow. Picked up some WSP primers, hurt the wallet a little at 32 bux for 1000 but a couple other local shops didnt even have anything. Might just place a bulk order and pay the hazmat fee once.

Working on a 7.7 Arisaka load using a .314 200gr lead gas checked bullet. Sized and lubed a few .312 and a few .314. Using a LAM 2 for sizing and lubing.

Running trail boss behind them at first and then a lighter load of possibly H335 or IMR 4895 ( two powders I have on hand ). Looking for a lighter load that still has plinking accuracy at 100 yards.

Two bucks a round factory 7.7. 150gr Sierra loads about $.45 a round and now a lead bullet for under $.22 if I did my math right.

Trail boss is a fun load ...I don't use quick gas check with trail boss. There are fun milk jug destroyer loads. I really have not found any "accuracy" out of any cal with trail boss.

7.7 loads so far powders that give nice results out to 200 yards. 150gn jacketed or 200gn gas checked cast
2400 and H4895
16 grains of alliant 2400 gave me consistent groups. Under 4" at 100 yards
H4895 using reduced data formula found on hodgdons web sight.... I found a,load that I use shooting the 200 yard matches that Will hold the 10 ring if I didn't mess it up.

The H4895 reduced loads also produce some nice soft shooting loads with jacketed ammo.

Last edited:
If you load 77gr Sierra HPBTs subsonic with Trialboss out of a 16" or longer 1:7 they're surprisingly decent, even at 200yds.

I tried a few in 55 and 69 out of my rra 1/9 20" barrel and it was funny. Shot 10ring groups but they where a tad low.[shocked]. Even more fun when the fudds where trying to tell me there was something wrong with my ammo or gun.

Here's a nice quote.

Hey ,hey kid you know that ****ing thing is supposed to cycle by itself right? Think you bought a,POS.

Back
Top Bottom