What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I figured since my CMP M1 carbine will be arriving on Monday, why not load up the last of my 30 carbine brass and FMJ bullets I had laying around. Cranked out ~200 rounds yesterday. Now I just have a box of Berrys plated 110 gr RN bullets to load. I tested these last year and they seemed to shoot just as well as the Hornady FMJs. They're about 6 cents cheaper than the Hornadys which is nice.

Not sure when I'll have a chance to shoot the carbine. Hoping next weekend will have warmer weather.

I figured since my CMP M1 carbine will be arriving on Monday, why not load up the last of my 30 carbine brass and FMJ bullets I had laying around. Cranked out ~200 rounds yesterday. Now I just have a box of Berrys plated 110 gr RN bullets to load. I tested these last year and they seemed to shoot just as well as the Hornady FMJs. They're about 6 cents cheaper than the Hornadys which is nice.

Not sure when I'll have a chance to shoot the carbine. Hoping next weekend will have warmer weather.
do you really have to spread your luckiness around on 4 post about your silly M1 carbine.......[rolleyes][horse][thumbsup] lucky sob

Picked up 2 boxes of 300 Hornady 38 cal .358 158gr LRN and 2 boxes of Winchestet PDX1 ammo to try in 357 SIG.. my total was 40 bux! I know it was 30% off some stuff but thats more like 70%!

I dont even have a .38/357 but that price I couldnt refuse!

Last edited:
Just pulled a bunch of 357 mag loads I made last summer. I don't know how I've gone this long without knowing about the Hornady cam lock bullet puller. This thing is awesome and sure as hell beats the inertia puller!

Anyway I made some 357 loads last summer with the 180 grain XTP's and 13 grains of H110. But they were severely lacking in recoil/performance and there was a lot of unburned powder in the case. Then I noticed a big discrepancy in my Lyman and Hornady manuals. Lyman lists 14.5 gr of H110 as max while Hornady lists 13.1 gr as max. Also Lyman has 14.9 gr as max for 296 which is the same powder as H110?

I'm thinking of bumping it up to 14 gr to see if it cleans up and performs slightly better.

Last edited:
Picked up 2 boxes of 300 Hornady 38 cal .358 158gr LRN and 2 boxes of Winchestet PDX1 ammo to try in 357 SIG.. my total was 40 bux! I know it was 30% off some stuff but thats more like 70%!

I dont even have a .38/357 but that price I couldnt refuse!

I have purchased bullets just because they where cheap....I bought some 6mm bullets on a,whim. 140gn Sierra ? I tossed on the bench at club breakfast and they sold with out trying.

Loaded a box of .38 Special. 125 Gr. Plated Flat Point with 5.6 Grains of Power Pistol.

Picked up a box of 500 .357" 158 Gr. JHP and a small jug of Hi-Skor 700x, the only pistol powder they had at Cabela's yesterday when I went. Shoot make up some interesting loads with .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

Loaded a box of .38 Special. 125 Gr. Plated Flat Point with 5.6 Grains of Power Pistol.

Picked up a box of 500 .357" 158 Gr. JHP and a small jug of Hi-Skor 700x, the only pistol powder they had at Cabela's yesterday when I went. Shoot make up some interesting loads with .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

Nice. I loaded up a few hundred more 357 mag with some pulled Speer 158 gr JHPs I got from an NESer for a good price. 14.7 gr of 2400 makes a nice stout load. I have no problem finding 125 gr jacketed bullets but the 158s are getting harder to find (affordable ones anyway not XTPs or Sierra bullets). I usually pay 10 cents for 158s when they're in stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Loaded 4 boxes of 12ga...
.308 next
Never got past 9 degrees today, balmy 55 in the reloading room...

Lol exact same temp in my basement.

- - - Updated - - -

You should just use the power pistol you have. That's slower burning than 700x. Unless you want lighter 38 and 357 loads.

Last edited:
I finally got around to making some 9mm with the Zero 125gr conical bullets. Made up 200 of a few charges and lengths. I found the best mix for my G34 was 1.125" with 3.8gr titegroup. I didn't get a chance to chrony them yet but they were very flat shooting and accurate. I ordered a few K of 147gr jacketed HP and a Wolf 13# recoil spring and stainless rod for it. I'll make some of those up and find out what works best for those in that gun.

I finally got around to making some 9mm with the Zero 125gr conical bullets. Made up 200 of a few charges and lengths. I found the best mix for my G34 was 1.125" with 3.8gr titegroup. I didn't get a chance to chrony them yet but they were very flat shooting and accurate. I ordered a few K of 147gr jacketed HP and a Wolf 13# recoil spring and stainless rod for it. I'll make some of those up and find out what works best for those in that gun.

Nice. That's next on my list to make some of the conical 125s with N320.

Nice. That's next on my list to make some of the conical 125s with N320.
I haven't found N320 anywhere yet, but I've got a full 8# of titegroup so I'm in no rush to get any either. I did get a deal on primers on Saturday. One of my RI friends called me from D&L they had Federal 100 match small pistol primers in stock. I got 5K of those and 5K CCI #400 for 29.99 per K. Everywhere around here gets 40 per K plus tax, online was at least 33 per K so I got all that I could.

I haven't found N320 anywhere yet, but I've got a full 8# of titegroup so I'm in no rush to get any either. I did get a deal on primers on Saturday. One of my RI friends called me from D&L they had Federal 100 match small pistol primers in stock. I got 5K of those and 5K CCI #400 for 29.99 per K. Everywhere around here gets 40 per K plus tax, online was at least 33 per K so I got all that I could.

Damn that's a good price. N320 is nice but TG works just as well except TG burns hotter and "slightly" dirtier that's all. 8lb jug of TG will last for a bit.

Nice. I loaded up a few hundred more 357 mag with some pulled Speer 158 gr JHPs I got from an NESer for a good price. 14.7 gr of 2400 makes a nice stout load. I have no problem finding 125 gr jacketed bullets but the 158s are getting harder to find (affordable ones anyway not XTPs or Sierra bullets). I usually pay 10 cents for 158s when they're in stock.

You should just use the power pistol you have. That's slower burning than 700x. Unless you want lighter 38 and 357 loads.

I ended up paying 12 cents a bullet for the 158 JHP's I picked up, nothing special either they're from Rainier Ballistics.

I plan on using up the Power Pistol I've got left, I'm down to about 1/3 of a pound I'd say, not including whats in my measure. I've never used 700x before, it'll be interesting developing some loads with it.

Just finished making 1k of 38 specials on a single stage press over a couple of days. I have 500 more cases primed and flared... man I need a dillon.

From completely unprepped to finished product 1000rds takes about an hour on the 650.

I do small batch rifle loads on a rock chucker, but i can't imagine doing a large volume of pistol.

Haha yeah I was using a rock chucker... for the sizing and flaring I can get into a rhythm where one hands doing the lever and the others moving brass into the shell plate and into a bin, but it still takes probably close to an hour to do one batch of 1k on each operation. Also my arms pretty sore from doing all the priming by hand, I tried to swap up which hand I used since I was starting to get fatigued..

Next thing to buy is some glass for a new AR build but after that I think a progressive press is what I need.

Haha yeah I was using a rock chucker... for the sizing and flaring I can get into a rhythm where one hands doing the lever and the others moving brass into the shell plate and into a bin, but it still takes probably close to an hour to do one batch of 1k on each operation. Also my arms pretty sore from doing all the priming by hand, I tried to swap up which hand I used since I was starting to get fatigued..

Next thing to buy is some glass for a new AR build but after that I think a progressive press is what I need.

I been torturing myself for 10 years with the single stage. I recently bought a Leepro 1000 for 30carbine and 223 plinking loads. I loaded all my 38spl up on a older Lee I bought then found a pro 1000 for 149$ shipped in 30 carbine. Plus a 223 shell plate. Its been good so far but I really want a decent progressive. My big problem is I would have to redesign my bench as I don't have the height needed for a 650 with case feeder.

Holy crap!
Haven't seen that in a while...Shooters had a couple of HP38 one pounders...and an 8lb. Varget.
Rileys had a few of the one lb. Vargets. Both had 8lb. IMR 4064.
-Mike

Broke my cherry and did the first of many batches of 9mm on the Dillon. Did 200 rounds before I stopped (ran out of bullets)

tsw6Ms.jpg

Back
Top Bottom