What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Not a "reloading room" but I mounted my hand me down rcbs partner press to a work bench and decapped some 30-30 and 9mm brass with the universal decapping die. I'm going to we tumble these sooner or later.

First time reloading, made 94 rounds of.223 only took 5 hours.
Lots of setup, and learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that. Focus on doing it right and with time and experience, things will naturally speed up on their own.

Nothing wrong with that. Focus on doing it right and with time and experience, things will naturally speed up on their own.

That is my plan. Slow and steady, learned a ton so far, but still have a long way to go.
Glad I have a shooting/reloading buddy so we can learn together.

Not a "reloading room" but I mounted my hand me down rcbs partner press to a work bench and decapped some 30-30 and 9mm brass with the universal decapping die. I'm going to we tumble these sooner or later.

Before I had a room (actually a crevice between the oil tank and HW heater) my press was mounted to a board and then C clamped to the kitchen table.

Before I had a room (actually a crevice between the oil tank and HW heater) my press was mounted to a board and then C clamped to the kitchen table.

Ive been thinking of doing something like that since its so friggen cold in the basement in the winter. I think Im doing the opposite of most in that I do a vast majority of my reloading in the warmer months.

i stared at my equipment and determined i need a dillon, a giraud trimmer, and a multi function case prep center. everything used to be in my living room and i had more time (and the wife didnt yell at me for "ignoring" her so much because i was right there). times getting short lately and i had to move the setup because of a little one. last thing i want her doing is swallowing some lead pills

Well it makes it easier to place the bullet in the case while I seat the bullet but now I'm wondering if I really need to? That's why I made some without flaring. I'll report back when I get a chance to shoot them.

I THOUGHT you had to flare them but maybe you don't. It's like a bottleneck rifle case (which you don't flare obviously) so maybe you don't have to?

Update: I had a chance to shoot my Tokarev loads (7 gr of power pistol + 90 gr XTP) yesterday and they shot very well and very clean. No more unburned residue all over my hands and arms. These loads I didn't flare or crimp, just simply seated the bullet like with rifle loads. This is bottlenecked like a rifle case so I'm not sure why I thought I needed to flare the cases. Maybe because Lee included that in the die set? But that's why we play around with the loads to experiment. Now I have 2 expander dies and a crimp die that I no longer need but they were cheap anyway so not the end of the world.

Also experienced temp sensitivity issues with my Titegroup 115 gr 9mm loads yesterday. Since it was fairly cold and my loads are mousefart loads, I had a few stovepipes and the slide not locking back after the last round. And holy crap were they dirty. My DW frame was covered with residue after 120 rounds. Can't wait to shoot the last 1k of those loads and move onto my N320 125 gr JHP loads that are much cleaner.

Last edited:
Update: I had a chance to shoot my Tokarev loads (7 gr of power pistol + 90 gr XTP) yesterday and they shot very well and very clean. No more unburned residue all over my hands and arms. These loads I didn't flare or crimp, just simply seated the bullet like with rifle loads. This is bottlenecked like a rifle case so I'm not sure why I thought I needed to flare the cases. Maybe because Lee included that in the die set? But that's why we play around with the loads to experiment. Now I have 2 expander dies and a crimp die that I no longer need but they were cheap anyway so not the end of the world.

Also experienced temp sensitivity issues with my Titegroup 115 gr 9mm loads yesterday. Since it was fairly cold and my loads are mousefart loads, I had a few stovepipes and the slide not locking back after the last round. And holy crap were they dirty. My DW frame was covered with residue after 120 rounds. Can't wait to shoot the last 1k of those loads and move onto my N320 125 gr JHP loads that are much cleaner.

If you can seat the bullets with out shaving off copper or lead and get the bullet aligned then flare is,not needed. I put a touch of flare on my 223 52gn flat base bullets loads just to aid my stubby stiff fingers getting the bullet in place.

If you can seat the bullets with out shaving off copper or lead and get the bullet aligned then flare is,not needed. I put a touch of flare on my 223 52gn flat base bullets loads just to aid my stubby stiff fingers getting the bullet in place.

Good point. I suppose I should pull some bullets to see if I'm scraping off any copper jacket. They align perfectly and go in but there is a tiny bit of resistance at first when I'm seating. But nothing crazy.

Good point. I suppose I should pull some bullets to see if I'm scraping off any copper jacket. They align perfectly and go in but there is a tiny bit of resistance at first when I'm seating. But nothing crazy.

You usually will see it curled up on the case mouth or crush the neck/shoulder all together.
Don't pull. ......it's working leave it be.

Cast up a bunch of .460" 405 RNFP and some 429421. Also a handful of .490" round balls to size down to .460" for gallery loads in the 45/70.
Hi-Tek coated some old cast sitting around.

I cleaned up a couple old. Bullet moulds I don't use so I can sell them.

Not a bad day.

Did 200rds of 200gr .45ACP and another 100 185gr. Also put the .44MAG dies back in and set them up for a run using 180xtps and 13gr of CFE Pistol. So far I really like this powder, wish it was easier to find. Might need to pony up the money for 8lbs of it.

Did 200rds of 200gr .45ACP and another 100 185gr. Also put the .44MAG dies back in and set them up for a run using 180xtps and 13gr of CFE Pistol. So far I really like this powder, wish it was easier to find. Might need to pony up the money for 8lbs of it.

Nice. I thought I saw CFE at SO and Rileys last friday when I was there?

Loaded up more Tokarev rounds thanks to jpm for the primed x25 brass. Still fairly inexpensive to reload even when using 90 gr XTP bullets. Though if I could find some coated lead 85-90 gr. bullets, I'd save even more. I tried the Berrys 110 gr carbine bullets in my Tokarev and they shot okay but they shot like 10" high at 40 feet. No adjustable sights so not a fan of those.

Just finished prepping 1000rds of once fired Lake City brass.

Resized to spec, trimmed, reamed, dry tumbled, primed and ready to load. IMG_20160207_171506587.jpg

I'm not sure what load these are going to get yet.

Took advantage of a snow day picked up a bunch of Hornady HAP 9mm 115gr over at Shooting Supply in westport on sale and reloading sure beats shoveling ! 20160208_142555.jpg 20160208_142607.jpg

There should be resistance, its called neck tension. If you are loading boat tailed bullets you can tweak your expander ball to create enough neck tension so that a crimp isn't even necessary.

There should be resistance, its called neck tension. If you are loading boat tailed bullets you can tweak your expander ball to create enough neck tension so that a crimp isn't even necessary.

Right. Only minor issue I had was with the mixed headstamp brass, some had more/less resistance than others so my OAL seemed to vary +\- 0.01". Shouldn't be a problem though.

Back
Top Bottom