What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Well the bull barrel AR was a bust. Only load that did well was a 55gn FMJ W844 surplus powder?
Missed the A4 challenge again .....7/10
K31 - H4895 was not happy in this rifle. N150 did much better and kept the 3 shots I loaded to 1.5" I thought I had more prepared brass so I had to settle for 3 rounds of each test load.
REM 513 was as always fun to shoot. Quick zero at 25 yards. Found the right adjustment for the rear iris and then put 10 shots into a nice 2" group out at 100 yards. Nice day to be out. Wish the new AR showed more promise.

If you want to make some Varget rounds I've got some if you don't have any.

Lubed and sized the ~150 pieces of 30 carbine brass from yesterday. Forgot what a PITA the case prep is for 30 carbine. Most need to be trimmed and some don't so instead of measuring every single case I'm going to trim em all...

Sorted out a few hundred 30-06 and some other random stuff that was mixed in with about 3 gallons of 38 brass.
I haven't had a tumbler for a couple months and it sucked.

Anyone here use one of the big Dillon tumblers? I've been thinking of buying one and wanted to know everyone's thoughts on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the bull barrel AR was a bust. Only load that did well was a 55gn FMJ W844 surplus powder?
Missed the A4 challenge again .....7/10
K31 - H4895 was not happy in this rifle. N150 did much better and kept the 3 shots I loaded to 1.5" I thought I had more prepared brass so I had to settle for 3 rounds of each test load.
REM 513 was as always fun to shoot. Quick zero at 25 yards. Found the right adjustment for the rear iris and then put 10 shots into a nice 2" group out at 100 yards. Nice day to be out. Wish the new AR showed more promise.

How heavy did you go with the bullet weight?

If you want to make some Varget rounds I've got some if you don't have any.

thank you nice offer. I have varget I tried my go to load with varget and the 77s. it was not nice in this barrel! In my frustration I tossed 10 rounds of my 55gn fmj reloads down the tube pulled a 1.3" group with out much effort.

thank you nice offer. I have varget I tried my go to load with varget and the 77s. it was not nice in this barrel! In my frustration I tossed 10 rounds of my 55gn fmj reloads down the tube pulled a 1.3" group with out much effort.
Ty's RR NM barrel loves the 24.0gr with 77gr SMK. Dead on, I'm surprised yours didn't.

Ty's RR NM barrel loves the 24.0gr with 77gr SMK. Dead on, I'm surprised yours didn't.

My RRA NM upper loves just about any match bullet with 24 grains of any of the popular powders.
This is a new 18" bull barrel optics only upper. The scope has proven it self many times?
Any how will have to re work a load for this barrel?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=10736524&convertTo=USD

Is it bad that I'm trying to figure out how to file a EUC?

No not at all , have your shit together if your going to buy through .gov ..... that way you can just roll up load up and drive away. My buddy scored some nice tool boxes through them. We lost every bid on brass so far. Looks like ammo recyclers will pay close to full price on it. Last one we lost buy 400$ on a 55 gallon drum. Our top bid put us at about .04 center each per case.
All said and done you can get brass sorted and free of junk for not much more. Cleaned for just a bit more.... we ended up buying several thousand LC NATO cases tumbled clean for .08 cents shipped.

Just a warning also the one drum of this stuff I have seen had a lot of blanks in it.
If you can score it for scrap prices (local yard here gives 1$ pound for fired cases 1.20$ for 500# or more) it can be a very good deal. Lot of work sorting and cleaning 40k cases

Last edited:
I once won an auction and drove to pick up my winnings, to Mechanicsburg PA. No troubles getting in or out of the Navy DRMO facility, some common sense post-911 pre-flight checks: Bring IDs, wear neck hangers with passes, no trouble.

There are soldering benches at Electronics Surplus Sales in Manchester, right off of 93, for short money. One with an overhead light was like $70, others were less. They'd make great reloading benches.

The postman just brought me these.

The goal is 1/3 MOA for 5 shot groups at 200yd and 6" groups at 1000yd.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_20160304_174033409.jpg
    IMG_20160304_174033409.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 68
Primed up 100 .308 cases...getting ready to work up some loads (125gr. and 150 gr.) for a .308 Garand...

I have been itching to try some light pills in the M1. What are you trying for bullets.

- - - Updated - - -

The postman just brought me these.

The goal is 1/3 MOA for 5 shot groups at 200yd and 6" groups at 1000yd.

Stay tuned.

What platform you blasting those from.... my money is on the bergers

Savage model 12 LRP

I think the bergers will do very well. .600 BC, some guys are putting down .1x MOA with them.

They're expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Once I get this AR bug out of my system going with a nice bolt gun. I will most likely go with 223 though. Just because 200 yards will be the most I shoot 99% of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

125 gr. Sierra SP and 150 gr. Hornady FMJBT from M1a1 and .308 Garand. (CMP Special)

Don't be surprised if the 125s smoke the fmj.

Dug the press and other equipment out of storage last night (we're selling our place, so I put everything away for showings) and tumbled and deprimed about 600 .38 spl cases. I stumbled across a 158 grain load with a pinch of Titegroup that seems to be very accurate in my revolvers and a lot of fun to shoot, so I'm going to load all my empty .38 cases with that. As long as I have the press set up, I'm going to do a run of .300 BO, 9mm and .40. I always managed to crunch the heck out of my middle finger by getting it between the ram and the press frame when I was setting it up. I think I invented a few new words when that happened!

Loaded some .308 for the Garand...125gr Sierra SP over 48.5 gr W748. Fills the case. Making more tonight.

Interested to see how the 125s shoot both in accuracy and recoil. Never shot lighter bullets in 308 or 30-06.

I should make it to the range this Saturday with the nice weather coming. You can try some of these loads out and shoot the carbines etc.

I need to do another run with my 125 gr JHP 9mm bullets and N320 powder. Got the wife, wife's friends, my sister, and my sisters friends all wanting to come shooting soon. Not a bad problem to have[laugh]
Now if I can get them to take a class and get their LTCs (excluding my wife and sister who already do and have their own pistols[thumbsup]) Last time my sister came with her SR9 she blew through 200 rounds of 9mm pretty quick. Though I do I have the SR22 I bought for the wife. Just need to get that shot more to soften the blow to my wallet lol.

Last edited:
Just mixed up a batch of Ben's Liquid Lube for cast boolits. I think I might give it a try on some wadcutters next time I cast up a bunch.

Anyone loading for a 45/70 sharps rifle? Just picked one up and I'm wondering what everyone else is loading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom