What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I've done nothing in far too long in my room. I did receive my order of N320 and 2K zero 180gr jhp .40 bullets so now it's time to get making some rounds and chrono them to see what works best.
I also have to make some 147gr 9mm rounds for minor PF for my son. For each round I'll experiment with titegroup and n320 to see which results we like. I wanted to get them done and tested by yesterday but the flu had other plans for me.

Hand weighed 90 charges of varget for various 69 SMK loads I wanted to test. At this point I think my marksmanship fundamentals are more of a limiting factor than the load data. Made about a 1/2" group at 100 yards though with 25.2 of varget, CCI 400 and 2.26" where the meplat was almost scraping on the mag.

What are you shooting out of? barrel twist?

2 coats of primer for the ceiling and walls.
I'll probably paint this week.
Then I'll start flooring.

Been catching up on tumbling brass lately. Did a few batches of 38/357 and cleaned up some 45/45-70 after that.
Sized and flared the 45-70 and now I'm tumbling off the case lube.
I'll probably prime them before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a white oak 26" varmint upper with the 1:8 twist rate.

Cool, I was just going to say i had really good luck with 24.5 varget with 69smk. Both in a 1:9 20" rem 700 and an AR with a white oak 20" 1:7 barrel. Which hasn't really made any sense to me and its way off from what sierra says is the accuracy load (25.3), but I'm rockin' 20" barrels so you're worlds away from me. Not that you seem to be having any trouble, just conversatin' ;)

I just built a bench to begin reloading. I was able to substantially complete the bench with just leftovers from finishing 1/2 the basement last year (beats carrying it back up the stairs) and some scrap materials I had in the garage.
1) Would you take the time to paint the bench before setting up the press, or, since it's in the unfinished side of the basement, just get it set up and not worry about what it looks like
2) I can add storage above, below or separate elsewhere in the basement. Any lessons learned or recommendations? I was thinking under the bench wouldn't be a bad spot for storing components,

Thanks

I just built a bench to begin reloading. I was able to substantially complete the bench with just leftovers from finishing 1/2 the basement last year (beats carrying it back up the stairs) and some scrap materials I had in the garage.
1) Would you take the time to paint the bench before setting up the press, or, since it's in the unfinished side of the basement, just get it set up and not worry about what it looks like
2) I can add storage above, below or separate elsewhere in the basement. Any lessons learned or recommendations? I was thinking under the bench wouldn't be a bad spot for storing components,

Thanks
I would paint it now. It won't take long to get it done right but you might as well get it done now rather than find yourself wishing you had taken the time to do it. Also, we are going to need pics [smile]

I would paint or stain & poly it simply to protect the wood rather than for aesthetic purposes. It makes the surface easier to keep clean and limits how much solvents seep into the wood. Some would say that adds character but that sucks when you need a clean surface to work on something.

c59ab6b0bd9f8a670559ba9c0b09a952.jpg
24608c0bd5e27644142031a37357b414.jpg

Just recently got into the reloading game, coming along well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I would paint it now. It won't take long to get it done right but you might as well get it done now rather than find yourself wishing you had taken the time to do it. Also, we are going to need pics [smile]

I would paint or stain & poly it simply to protect the wood rather than for aesthetic purposes. It makes the surface easier to keep clean and limits how much solvents seep into the wood. Some would say that adds character but that sucks when you need a clean surface to work on something.

If you want fast, try white formica.

I had white formica on one of my benches. Liked it cause I could write notes, data, loads on it, but then just windex it clean later. It was nice for keeping tidy also, and if it got damaged, cheap and easy to replace.

If you want fast, try white formica.
I actually had a big piece of light blue lab table/countertop that I used. I started enclosing the bottom so I have a lockable storage place for components. I figured I'd finish that first, then paint, then eventually get the press set up. I didn't realize how much extra material I had laying around.

Last week I had a friend over that's been on the fence about moving up to a progressive. I taught him how to reload a year or so back and helped him get setup with an RCBS Rock Chucker...He is interested in the Dillon 550B and because that's what I'm running now he came over and we reloaded a hundred rounds of .38 special. He was amazed that we were able to load 100 rounds in ten minutes once we made the caliber change. Ordinarily it would take him several hours to do that on the RCBS. He went down to Shooter's and bought the 550B and the cal changes for 45acp, 9mm and .38sp.

I have another friend coming over next week so I can show him the Dillon. He's in the same predicament...using a single stage and wants to move up to a progressive. I love showing these guys the progressive press and when they see how easy it is to load a couple of hundred rounds, they are almost always sold and either head down to Shooter's or order online from Dillon direct or from Brian Eno's site.

Fun stuff....[smile]

Last edited:
^^^^ Dillon should be paying you commission [grin]

Nah, I just get a kick out of helping peeps get their thrills reloading at a decent rate...I still use my old RCBS Jr2 on short run stuff like 30-30 etc but anything I shoot more than 100 rounds a month gets loaded on the Dillon.

I started on a progressive, can't even imagine trying to bang out 1000 rounds of pistol ammo on a single stage.

I love the Rock Chucker / Hornady bushing setup for small batch rifle, but it would take an eternity to do pistol.

XL650 w casefeeder FTW.

I started on a progressive, can't even imagine trying to bang out 1000 rounds of pistol ammo on a single stage.

I love the Rock Chucker / Hornady bushing setup for small batch rifle, but it would take an eternity to do pistol.

XL650 w casefeeder FTW.

There was a time in the early 90's that I was banging out 300-500 45 auto rounds a week on my RCBS over the space of a year...it was nuts. When Riley's indoor range closed, my bullet count per week went to almost zero for about a year until I joined a club. Now I'm typically shooting four or five calibers instead of the 45 auto only and running a minimum of 100 rounds each per month. The Dillon makes it that much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Today, I turned 100 empty, dirty, fired .38 special casings into 100 bright shiny reloaded and happy .38 special target holes on the range monday. Yup....It was a great day for the rock crusher......but my arm is tired. Such wonderful pain.

- - - Updated - - -

Loaded a couple hundred 124gr. 9mm and decapped, cleaned and dried about 1k 45ACP casings.

And I think my FA EZ Tumbler is crap, casings and rounds aren't actually turning over, they're just slowly spinning around in a circle...but I think most are just going to the bottom and staying there.

The Rotary tumbler is excellent. I did the .45 casings without pins and they still came out fantastic. Most of the primer pockets and insides were very clean.

Last edited:
My simple setup. The single stage works out good for me. I use this for 223 as a supplement. no way I could keep up as a main supply with the frequency I am shooting right now.

reload.jpg

Finally hit the range with a bunch of 185gr .45ACP I did with Berrys bullets. Was able to get 2" groups at 25 ft. Im happy with that. Also tried some more of the 200gr Bayou bullets, not a fan of them. A bunch of miss feeds etc. Just not a fan of the mold they use for them.

Got the safe moved in, reinforced the wall with rebar & concrete, anchored the safe, wired up some recessed lighting, and hooked everything back up. I'm good to get back to business!

I walked in. Checked the temp and humidity. Stashed 4 lbs of 231 and 2 boxes of primers on the shelf. Haven't pulled the handle in 2 weeks. I need some Dillon therapy.

Bought 2 more presses from a member here with a ton of accessories. I bought them for the accessories as they were worth more than his asking price for everything. I really need to get my new bench setup so i can crank out some rounds

Back
Top Bottom